Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What salad dressing do you love that has an unusual ingredient?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

What salad dressing do you love that has an unusual ingredient?

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 24, 2007 7:34 pm

I love salads and enjoy making all sorts of salad dressings. I really dislike the commercial stuff. I recall Jenise posting one for tomatoes using cinnamon. This blew me away after I tried it, it was so good and who would have thought of combining cinnamon and tomatoes.
With me, I love playing with all sorts of oils and different vinegars. One of my favorites is a maple flavored balsamic. I've discovered hazelnut, avocado and walnut oils. Not unusual, however. So how about you, have you found that little something to put in your dressings that make folks wonder "what is that awesome taste?"
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: What salad dressing do you love that has an unusual ingredient?

by Randy Buckner » Thu May 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Chinese 5-spice in an Asian dressing we make.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu May 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Do you include the 5-spice in a vinaigrette? Not a spice I have used in salad dressing.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 24, 2007 9:34 pm

I'll be making a beet-orange-mint salad tomorrow that uses pomegranate molasses in the vinaigrette.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu May 24, 2007 9:36 pm

who would have thought of combining cinnamon and tomatoes.

The Greeks. It's a classic combo in that cuisine.

But my usual pedantry aside, I can't think of any actual constructive answer to the original question. :lol:

Except this.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 24, 2007 10:17 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

But my usual pedantry aside, I can't think of any actual constructive answer to the original question. :lol:

Except this.

Hey, whatever it takes to get a good emulsion....

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Except this.

Hey, whatever it takes to get a good emulsion....

Alternate response:

That beats my "pomegranate molasses" all to hell.

Mike

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 25, 2007 6:06 am

Not very exotic, but I either grate ginger or include saffron when I want a change from the usual mustard, olive oil and vinegar/citrus dressing..
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 25, 2007 7:06 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The Greeks. It's a classic combo in that cuisine.

Which explains the notorious Cincinnati chili, a direct descendant of Greek spaghetti sauce.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 25, 2007 7:08 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:So how about you, have you found that little something to put in your dressings that make folks wonder "what is that awesome taste?"

Styrian pumpkinseed oil from Slovenia or Austria in a vinaigrette will do that, and you can buy it in the US, but I recommend getting it in small bottles, as it oxidizes fairly fast once opened. It's almost as bad as trying to keep wine in an open bottle - you can't, at least in my experience, keep it for more than a couple of weeks.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri May 25, 2007 9:35 am

Karen, like yours, my favorite (and most often requested) salad dressing has maple syrup in it. I also experiment with the various nut oils, usually adding a few tablespoons of walnut oil (along with the canola) to tie the whole salad together. The salad also has pear or apple, bleu cheese and maple glazed walnuts or pecans.

Another one I really like, that a friend of mine "copied" from a local restaurant has chipotles in it along with a little honey. It is fantastic. Need to pull that one out and make it this summer.

Fun question!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 am

Is nutmeg unusual?

RASPBERRY-HAZELNUT VINAIGRETTE:

3/4 C Hazelnut oil
1/4 C Raspberry vinegar
1 tsp Soy sauce (regular better than lite)
1/2 tsp Dry chives
1/2 tsp Dry thyme
1/2 tsp Coarse ground pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly milled or grated nutmeg (or 1/4 tsp ground/tinned)

Mortar together the dry ingredients (or spin in a blender or processor). Dissolve them in the vinegar and soy sauce. Add oil. Shake well and refrigerate.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 25, 2007 11:48 am

Carl, this sounds really good, I love nutmeg but have not had it in a salad dressing. Thanks!

Carrie, the dressing you mentioned with the chipotle and honey sounds great, would you mind sharing when you get it out?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri May 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Hi Karen, I happened to have the dressing recipe in my computer so this was easy. :) The notes in parenthesis are from my friend. She experimented a bit until she came up with just the right combination.

Honey Chipotle Salad Dressing (Copy of Stuft Pizza Restaurant's “Summer Salad”)

2 tablespoons honey
Scant 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1-2 tablespoon white wine vinegar (depending on taste)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 small shallots
2 chipotle peppers (These are in a can in “adobe sauce.” I rinse them well and used only the outer pepper not the seeds)
1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I kind of played with the amount until I liked the taste and consistency)

I noticed the heat of the chipotle peppers varied from brand to brand so taste as you go to be sure it doesn’t get too spicy. Also, I made the dressing the night before and the heat seemed to intensify overnight, I assume as the flavors blended –

Other ingredients for the Stuft Pizza salad.
• Mixed baby greens (romaine, arugula, spinach)
• Red grapes
• Chopped apples (I like Fuji)
• Dried cranberries
• Grilled or pan sautéed chicken breasts (chilled and cut into pieces)
• Candied walnuts
• Blue Cheese

Toss above ingredients with dressing. Serve immediately.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Karen, your post makes an important point that the majority of people I know who rely on bottled dressings, completely fail to understand: dressings are not universal applications. The cinnamon in that dressing is there for the tomatoes and the dressing doesn't work on any other ingredients. Well, maybe beets, but plain lettuce? No. EVOO is great on dark greens, but on iceberg? It's bitter: avoid. Thick dressings should not be avoided on soft lettuces--creamy blue cheese on bibb or red oak? No, it's all wrong.

As someone who eats salad every day of my life and who eschews creamy dressings (I'm about to post a good reason for doing so--it will be a separate thread), my vinaigrettes are pretty out-there, but they always match (if I do say so myself) the ingredients.

Some of my favorites:

Cumin: for iceberg lettuce combined with a soft lettuce and a meal that's going to have a Latin beat, my vinaigette includes smoked spanish paprika, cumin, worcestershire sauce and diced shallot. I probably get more compliments on this than any other dressing I make because it's so unusual to encounter cumin in a salad dressing.

Fenugreek leaves: for torn leaves of napa cabbage combined with crumbled dry Ramen noodles and a salted soy bean mix I get in Canada, the vinaigrette is oil, vinegar and crumbled fenugreek leaves with caramel undertones. The fenugreek gives a very exotic and elusive flavor to the dressing, and I serve this salad as a starter course for meals that are in the Indian/Turkish/Morroccan/Middle Eastern arena. This salad was created out of a desire to find the perfect thing to feature dry fenugreek leaves which I found in a Persian store in L.A. This salad is it--no matter what meal I pair it with, I wake up the next day craving more of this salad.

Avocado and oregano: this is going to horrify all who know me and my aversion to mayonnaise (pus, to Stewart), but an exception is what we call Guacamole Salad. A half a chunky fork-mashed avocado, mayonnaise, LOTS of dry Mexican oregano, a clove of garlic, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper are mixed into a dressing that is tossed with iceberg lettuce (cut into 1 1/2" chunks, the only time I cut instead of tear) and served instantly after mixing. 1/2 a medium-large avocado serves two. Another salad for latin food, like grilled garli-peno marinated skirt steak and celery-cumin rice.

Tomato and Ginger: this one goes lightly Asian. A thick, emulsified blender dressing made of mustard, whole tomatoes, cider vinegar, brown sugar, oil and ginger that's used by itself over hearts of romaine (and topped with sliced almonds) or thinned with a "classic French vinaigrette" and tossed with seasonal greens and dried fruit, pears or sliced grapes.

Grapefruit: the segments go in the salad, the juice goes in the vinaigrette. Use for strong, mixed dark-leafed greens like romaine and arugula plus a cabbage--kale is best. Add pepitos for additional texture and flavor. A fabulous winter salad.

Peanut oil and cilantro: If, like me, the thought of regulation cole slaw makes you puke, try dressing green cabbage with a dressing of peanut oil and vinegar. Finely chop a bunch of cilantro for the dressing, or just include a lot of cilantro with the cabbage. Also, add slivers of red onions. Makes a terrific salad all by itself, or it can be the only other thing you need besides grilled shrimp and a little queso fresco to stuff inside a corn tortilla crisped in a dry iron skillet to make a fabulous shrimp taco.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 25, 2007 7:51 pm

who eschews creamy dressings (I'm about to post a good reason for doing so--it will be a separate thread)

I think I already posted a good reason for eschewing creamy dressings.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm

Jenise, WOW, you do have some unusual pairings. Have your travels influenced your creativity?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri May 25, 2007 9:20 pm

One more for the list- light soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin or honey, rice vinegar, and a touch of wasabi. Very nice to dress pea shoots. Or instead of the wasabi, use some finely mashed/minced ginger and a touch of garlic.

Robin, do you put your kuerbiskernoel in the fridge? I do and haven't had it go off on me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 31, 2007 3:18 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, WOW, you do have some unusual pairings. Have your travels influenced your creativity?

Travelling always increases one's sensory awareness of what's possible. That probably influences my main dish cookery the most; the rest just comes from a desire to eat salad with every meal, and to give each salad a vibe that works with the main dish.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu May 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Well, I don't know how odd this is, but I call it Vinny's Regret. It's your basic vinaigrette with some twists. I usually just eyeball this one, so adjust the proportions until you get something you like.

6 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TSP Chinese Mustard
1/2 TSP Hot Chile Paste
1/2 TSP Peanut Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

I throw this over raw veggies to include some of the Asian ones such as sliced bamboo shoots, sprouts etc. It's got a kick and a flavor, they tell me, only a mother can love.

As to cinammon with tomatoes, my first ex-wife, a German lady, dated a Greek guy, Marius, before our fateful encounter. One day she made me tomato soup (Campbell's). It had cinammon in it. I had that I-expected-Coke-but-got-a-mouthful-of-skunky-beer-with-a-cigarette-butt-in-it reaction. I should have read the omen!! That was 30 years ago. In the interim, cinammon and tomato, not bad if done right.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Diane Thompson

Rank

Just got here

Fri May 25, 2007 1:26 am

by Diane Thompson » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I found a strawberry vinegar at a store called Global Gardens in Los Olivos, CA (Santa Barbara County). It has an intense strawberry flavor. I mix it with some EVOO for a very simple vinaigrette - I usually go light on the oil, but whatever proportion you like will work. I use it on baby spinach, crumbled feta, toasted pine nuts and sliced strawberries. It is delicious! I went through my bottle of vinegar in about 3 weeks.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:32 am

Welcome to the Forum, Diane!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:24 am

Welcome Dianne! You'll love it here.

As for the post, I like pomegranate molasses mixed with lemon juice. Simple and yummy.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:47 pm

I went through my bottle of vinegar in about 3 weeks.

Diane, you sound like me the first time I bought a bottle of 3 year old zinfandel vinegar. I wanted it on EVERYTHING. I've never seen a strawberry vinegar, but it sounds good--strawberries are delicious in salads.

And welcome to the group!
Next