Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Shedding pounds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

Re: Shedding pounds

by Sharon S. » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:32 pm

Robert - Well, I'd have to defend the honour of the English language by saying that we like to "master" every aspect of the language - from the lyrical and the poetic, to the culturally idiosyncratic, which have absolutely wonderful tales and fables behind them. And you have to admit, the names for the culinary concoctions you mentioned are far more fun, memorable, and evocative, than their literall definitions! :)

But to be fair and share it around, are "grits" gritty? or "biscuits" biscuity (as in biscuits and gravy)? :lol:

Celia - I'm afraid the font of much knowledge (i.e. the other half :lol: ) can't shed any light either on the whole extra virgin, virgin conundrum. How a first press can be "extra" and the second still "virgin" seems contrary to reason. But I'm sure, as with our use of Spotted Dick for a steamed sponge pudding with dried fruit in it, that there's a usage history there that somebody'll be able to enlighten us with. :)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 am

Sharon, your defense holds well. I can't argue with that a bit. I especially love the history and lore behind the naming of Pubs and their odd signs. The fact that sign makers were frequently illiterate and would mess up the sign only to create something whimsical and utterly original just fascinates me. This was not always the case, of course, but British Pub names have no equal.

We have a pub here in Austin, TX that used to be called the Draught Horse. The sign out front was written in the old English calligraphy and everyone just assumed that 'Horse' read as 'House'. So it was known as the Draught House even though the sign and all the pictures in the sign said otherwise. I thought this to be very cool.

The owners eventually sold and the new owners officially changed the name of the pub to The Draft House (even changed the spelling of Draught, I believe). They changed the sign and everything. Bummer.

Now, grits really are gritty. But biscuits are more like light, fluffy scones. We just don't make biscuits with eggs and cream; we use butter and buttermilk. What you call biscuits we call cookies.

Thanks for the talk on language! I love this stuff.

rwj
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm

My pleasure. Or I should say, our pleasure :D Ewan (my partner) has a particular passion for language (speaks about 5 of them), which he's imbued me with over the years.

As you say, we've got some wonderful pub names, with great stories behind them. But there has been a growing trend recently that has seen individual pubs being bought up by pub chains and then re-branded into non-entities whereby the pub chain name has no real meaning or history, and has been put together just to create a brand image. Such as the Slug and Lettuce chain of pubs. :evil:

Interesting to find out that grits really are gritty! And yes, you're spot on about the distinction between biscuits and cookies. But we also have 'hard' cookies and 'soft cookies', the latter I believe being the American style.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:41 pm

Sharon S. wrote:My pleasure. Or I should say, our pleasure :D Ewan (my partner) has a particular passion for language (speaks about 5 of them), which he's imbued me with over the years.

As you say, we've got some wonderful pub names, with great stories behind them. But there has been a growing trend recently that has seen individual pubs being bought up by pub chains and then re-branded into non-entities whereby the pub chain name has no real meaning or history, and has been put together just to create a brand image. Such as the Slug and Lettuce chain of pubs. :evil:

Interesting to find out that grits really are gritty! And yes, you're spot on about the distinction between biscuits and cookies. But we also have 'hard' cookies and 'soft cookies', the latter I believe being the American style.

Grit is the reason I hate grits...same with things like apple sauce and tapiocrapola.

The British used to produce great Marie biscuits...cookies, really. But the last time I tasted them, they might as well have been grits!!!

Simply,
Virgin Olive Oil refers to oils that are processed without chemicals.
Extra Virgin refers to oils processed without chemicals and also free from any defects.

How the judges figure out the difference and the defects is beyond what I know about the subject...after 25 years in the biz, I'm still trying to understand wine!

Marshmallows and sweet potatoes--may I issue a resounding YUCK?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Grit is the reason I hate grits...same with things like apple sauce and tapiocrapola.

Tapiocrapola. I love it! :lol: And I'm sooo with you on that one.

Hadn't heard your definition of the difference between virgin olive oil and extra virgin. I'd always understood that the extra virgin was the first press, and the virgin was the second which was still considered good enough to call virgin, but not quite as good as the first press.

Is there an official global / Italian olive oil association / federation that sets the rules and defines the defect levels? With a website that explains it all in English? Or is that hoping for too much in this digital not-so-useful-info-overload world of ours. :)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Sharon S. wrote:

Tapiocrapola. I love it! :lol: And I'm sooo with you on that one.

Hadn't heard your definition of the difference between virgin olive oil and extra virgin. I'd always understood that the extra virgin was the first press, and the virgin was the second which was still considered good enough to call virgin, but not quite as good as the first press.

Is there an official global / Italian olive oil association / federation that sets the rules and defines the defect levels? With a website that explains it all in English? Or is that hoping for too much in this digital not-so-useful-info-overload world of ours. :)

Sharon (and Celia), re virgin oil et al: your understanding is the mistaken understanding of many; once was mine too.

Look here for an explanation:
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/definitions.htm
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks Thomas. That pretty much clears that mystery up then! :D
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Indeed, thank you Thomas ! Perhaps the first cold press thing is simply the process needed to comply with the EVOO rules ?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Sharon S. wrote:My pleasure. Or I should say, our pleasure :D Ewan (my partner) has a particular passion for language (speaks about 5 of them), which he's imbued me with over the years.

I have always wanted to open a pub and call it "The Bleeding Leg of Mutton" or "The Stinking Bishop." I won't go into detail as to how I want the sign to look for the Mutton. But the Bishop sign would have a Bishop sinking in a body of water. Take that, Corporate World!! :twisted:

rwj
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:58 am

Robert J wrote:
I have always wanted to open a pub and call it "The Bleeding Leg of Mutton" or "The Stinking Bishop." I won't go into detail as to how I want the sign to look for the Mutton. But the Bishop sign would have a Bishop sinking in a body of water. Take that, Corporate World!!

Or, alternatively, you could just have a picture of a large orange wheel of cheese. :D (Stinking Bishop: a sticky orange-rinded cheese with a pungent and spirited aroma, and a texture that can vary from firm to soft and creamy, depending on the season. Stinking Bishop is said to be derived from a cheese once made by Cistercian monks in the village of Dymock, Gloucestershire, UK).
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:33 am

'Grits' has never appealed to me in a food way - anything gritty seems so far from being a good thing in relation to food....guess you had to be brought up in whatever backwater spawned that particular food to appreciate it, and the name.

Another food name I always wondered about was the colourful if dubious (from the taste point of view) mix of lima beans and corn called 'succotash' (which I find, upon researching it, to be of American Indian origin).

I got my introduction to this term exclusively from cartoons as a kid, as again, it isn't a regional specialty where I grew up.

Having since tasted it, I concur with Sylvester the Puddy Tat - "Thufferin' Thuccotash"

Gastronomic etymology - maybe we need a forum just for that.... :idea:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Robert J. wrote:I have always wanted to open a pub and call it "The Bleeding Leg of Mutton" or "The Stinking Bishop." I won't go into detail as to how I want the sign to look for the Mutton. But the Bishop sign would have a Bishop sinking in a body of water. Take that, Corporate World!! :twisted:

rwj

When I lived in England, there was a famous pub just north of us on the Derbyshire (pronounced DAR-bih-shur) border called The Spread Eagle. Who needs to make up names when reality's as good as that?!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 pm

Jenise wrote:When I lived in England, there was a famous pub just north of us on the Derbyshire (pronounced DAR-bih-shur) border called The Spread Eagle. Who needs to make up names when reality's as good as that?!

Actually, like a lot of pub names, that comes from heraldry - a reference to an eagle on a coat of arms.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:When I lived in England, there was a famous pub just north of us on the Derbyshire (pronounced DAR-bih-shur) border called The Spread Eagle. Who needs to make up names when reality's as good as that?!

Actually, like a lot of pub names, that comes from heraldry - a reference to an eagle on a coat of arms.

Or an an eagle ready for inspection...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:01 pm

Oh guys, guys. "The Spread Eagle"? That's not even a drop in the pond (let alone ocean) as far as some of our wonderful pub names are concerned. :D

Let me regale you with...

Blowing Stone (in Kingston Lisle, Oxfordshire)
Bees in the Wall (in Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire)
Bucket of Blood (in Phillack, Cornwall)
Goat and Tricycle (in Bournemouth, Dorset)

And I could go on and on... (as usual!) having barely scratched the surface of the GBG (the Good Beer Guide - the CAMpaign for Real Ale's guide to the best pubs in Britain).

Reality can indeed be surprisingly good sometimes. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:11 pm

A cabbie friend in London told me that pub owners spend some time trying out the name of a new pub on cab drivers to be sure they will be able to understand and find the pubs folks want, especially when they are under the weather a bit.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:46 pm

Bob Ross wrote:A cabbie friend in London told me that pub owners spend some time trying out the name of a new pub on cab drivers to be sure they will be able to understand and find the pubs folks want, especially when they are under the weather a bit.

We used to have a restaurant here called Dick's House of Beef. Guess what we locals called the place?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Sharon S. wrote:Robert J wrote:
I have always wanted to open a pub and call it "The Bleeding Leg of Mutton" or "The Stinking Bishop." I won't go into detail as to how I want the sign to look for the Mutton. But the Bishop sign would have a Bishop sinking in a body of water. Take that, Corporate World!!

Or, alternatively, you could just have a picture of a large orange wheel of cheese. :D (Stinking Bishop: a sticky orange-rinded cheese with a pungent and spirited aroma, and a texture that can vary from firm to soft and creamy, depending on the season. Stinking Bishop is said to be derived from a cheese once made by Cistercian monks in the village of Dymock, Gloucestershire, UK).

That would actually be the better sign. I knew this was cheese and just LOVED the name. You are my official pub manager. Congrats!

rwj
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Robert J. wrote:That would actually be the better sign. I knew this was cheese and just LOVED the name. You are my official pub manager. Congrats!

rwj

Ah, at last! The dream come true. :D

We have thought semi-seriously about running our own pub. Ewie (the other half) would do the real ale cellar. I'd do the wine cellar (with some input from Ewie, who does partake on the odd occasion, but mainly when we're abroad in wine producing countries); and the food. But it'd be a lot of work in comparison to the way we earn our living now.

So, as we're lazy :D we just partake of others' hospitality and then regale our seemingly impressive knowledge. :D

But only the best, of course. :D
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 pm

If you ever open that pub anyway, let me know. I'll be there because I bet that it would rock.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:37 am

Bill Spohn wrote:'Grits' has never appealed to me in a food way - anything gritty seems so far from being a good thing in relation to food....guess you had to be brought up in whatever backwater spawned that particular food to appreciate it, and the name.

Having been born and reared in The Deep South (Georgia) I grew up eating grits, and still do. Plain grits are bland, sort of like a plain unsalted, unbuttered bland baked potato. It is the treatment one gives the grits or the potato that releases the versatility of either food. Grits with butter, s&p, and a dash of cayenne are great with a plate of eggs and country-cured ham. Stir in some sharp cheddar and bake in a casserole dish, and you have a classic Southern dinner side dish. Those who dislike grits usually just have not had them prepared and served correctly. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:'Grits' has never appealed to me in a food way - anything gritty seems so far from being a good thing in relation to food....

They're only gritty if you don't cook them ...

backwater

Grits are <i>Canadian!</i>? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Those who dislike grits usually just have not had them prepared and served correctly. :wink:

Perhaps, but I have never had beach sand prepared and served correctly either, at least not correctly enough to suit my taste ;)

I figure there will be time enough in the nursing home for non-chewable food...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Grits when properly prepared are not really chewy.
PreviousNext