Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Not. Even. Close.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Not. Even. Close.

by Jenise » Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 am

You guys have a pretty solid idea of what I eat and what I don't, like my little phobias about eggs and eggy things, cold dairy products and goopy textures, right? So the NYT, which I subscribe to, sent the following hilarious notification today:

We recommend these dishes based on the recipes you’ve viewed:

Hollandaise Sauce
My Favorite Challah
A Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg
Oat Milk Chocolate Pudding
Chicken Teriyaki
Jamie Oliver's Eggplant Parmesan

One out of six!! (I'd eat the eggplant.) No way these are things are in the neighborhood of things I'd have ever looked at.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Not. Even. Close.

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 10, 2024 1:39 am

Fear the AI.

:wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 10, 2024 6:11 pm

AI probably thinks she's been salivating over egg recipes when she probably flips to another page the minute she sees a raw egg mentioned. I have found a similar thing on other sites - if I spend a few minutes searching out a recipe for a particular thing, all I get for the next while are similar recipes and there seems to be no way to ditch them.

I noticed the same thing when I searched a recipe with gochujang in it and then kept getting Korean recipes thrown at me. That's why I stay largely away from social media - a huge time waster.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 10, 2024 6:34 pm

Bill, the closest thing recently might be me asking my husband's son, who stayed with us last week, if oat milk was okay because last time he was here he wanted almond milk for morning cereal. I'd have mentioned in the same conversation that I do sometimes make Bob eggs in the morning. And Jewish food recently came up because I mentioned--in several places, including here--searching for a particular brand of Matzoh and being amused at finding a chocolate syrup product I remember from childhood (Bosco) on the passover display at a local store. Combined, those things are probably responsible for the oat milk chocolate pudding and the challah. The rest I can't account for but it had nothing to do with recipe searches. Other than going to the NYT site to pick up a recipe like the one Dale recommended a few days ago, I haven't actually searched the NYT site recently at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri May 10, 2024 8:29 pm

Jenise wrote:...The rest I can't account for but it had nothing to do with recipe searches. Other than going to the NYT site to pick up a recipe like the one Dale recommended a few days ago, I haven't actually searched the NYT site recently at all.

Interesting. Unfortunately these companies are mostly tracking our behavior all across the internet, even when we're not on their sites. But, evidently the algorithms and predicted capabilities have not yet been perfected. Will see if they ever get there! (I would imagine they continue to improve, although who knows how long it will take...)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 11, 2024 9:32 am

Oh clearly this is true. A few days ago I went looking for a particular type of light fixture, and I've been deluged with lighting ads since. It was only slightly more unusual to get a sleazy pitch like that from the NYT, and of course funny considering the errant conclusions reached.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 11, 2024 1:37 pm

This isn't a new phenomenon by any means. I got a bizarre one over a decade ago at amazon.com. Back then when they gave out book recommendations they told you why they were recommending a particular book ("You recently bought X so you might be interested in Y"). Amazon recommended Bill Clinton's autobiography My Life because I'd recently bought Gary Larson's cartoon anthology The Complete Far Side.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 11, 2024 3:55 pm

:)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 am

Paul Winalski wrote: I got a bizarre one over a decade ago at amazon.com.

Weirdly - and stupidly - with Amazon, when you buy something from them, they then bombard you with adverts for similar products.

I've just bought one, they know I've bought one. Why would I buy another right now?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon May 13, 2024 11:40 am

Peter May wrote:I've just bought one, they know I've bought one. Why would I buy another right now?

Exactly! I never understood the logic.

But, then again, don't credit computers with too much logic: A friend and his lady love took a trip to Ontario and, gracious friend that I am, I heard all about the trip and admired photos on various websites. It took about 6 months before adverts for trips to Canada subsided -- and I hadn't even bought one in the first place.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

I think that's a hold-over from their start as an online book shop. If you buy, say, a science fiction book you may well be interested in similar books.

-Paul W.