Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Call Me a Curmudgeon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Call Me a Curmudgeon

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 pm

....but is there really a TV viewing audience out there for watching little kids cook?

Gordon Ramsay's show Master Chef is at least mildly entertaining when serious chefs are participating, but while watching kids (age 8-13) might entertain some, it won't likely be because of the food preparation skills involved.

This show may not be as bad as some of the 'Bleach Blonde Idiot's ' (initials GF) laughably contrived attempts at combining food and prize shows, but I think it still leaves out any interest for people that take cooking seriously.

Until Master Chef gets back to at least some serious cooking and ditches the rugrats, I'll content myself with watching old reruns of Alton Brown's Good Eats.

Bill
(channeling Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, sitting on his porch and scowling at passing children)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Call Me a Curmudgeon

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:01 pm

You're a curmudgeon.

But I agree with you on the kiddie cooks.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:22 am

Cur-ma-dudgeon!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

I remember actually liking the first season of the kiddo version. However, in that case there was one particularly serious and talented contender, and ice cream didn't fall out of the ceiling to douse the hosts as has routinely happened since. It's turned into a joke, and we no longer watch it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 pm

Bill, you complain about Master Chef BUT you don't watch the very best cooking show on TV, hands down, and it's been around for 15 or so years. It's Top Chef. Get with it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:50 am

I've watched Top Chef for years and record every episode.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:27 pm

Oh good! I hadn't thought so as 1) you never mention it and 2) when I brought it up once in conversation at your house Sue made faces about it. She clearly did not like Padma and I had the impression then that it was not viewed in your home!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 am

The only cooking shows she liked were Alton Brown's Good Eats. I think that she finds the 'competition' shows a bit artificial and I can't argue too much about that in regard to cooking 'game shows'.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:52 am

I liked the kid shows when they first started, however as they went along some things just did not add up and I began to feel it was all staged. Having raised three of our kids and always having a bunch of their friends around, and teaching ours to cook so when they went to college they did not have to live on Ramen, I knew a little about their behaviors. I finally gave up on watching.