Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ramen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ramen

by Jenise » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:02 pm

We had ramen soup in a Japanese restaurant in Vancouver yesterday late mid-day, a place randomly chosen when driving by hoping for sushi instead.

What is this anyway with opaque broths in Japanese ramen? I've only eaten restaurant ramen a few times. One was good, one or two were okay, and two were something I'd never want to eat again including yesterday's. It was a "creamy" chicken broth made creamy by pureering chicken breast into some stock. Edible but not especially attractive or a do-again. On another occasion a pork broth had bacon grease added to make it opaque/creamy. GROSS. I'm starting to think I am too wedded to Vietnamese pho to properly appreciate true ramen. Or have I just been unlucky?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Ramen

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:19 pm

Jenise wrote:What is this anyway with opaque broths in Japanese ramen?...It was a "creamy" chicken broth made creamy by pureeing chicken breast into some stock. Edible but not especially attractive or a do-again.

In my experience, Japanese ramen usually has a rich broth with fat that makes it less clear than a soba noodle soup broth, which is much simpler. But, creamy pureed chicken doesn't sound too traditional Japanese. Maybe something tricked up for Americans?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:22 am

Curious, I thought the thickening/opacity in Ramen was due to miso.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:15 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:Curious, I thought the thickening/opacity in Ramen was due to miso.

Miso ramen is just one variant of ramen.

I think the general character of ramen broth comes from all the bones/gelatin/fat from long cooking. (Compared to miso soup, which is whisked together at the last minute)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:57 am

Rahsaan, this was a Canadian restaurant in a predominantly Asian neighborhood that would include a lot of Indian as well--no Americanization going on there. (The one that had bacon grease in it, yeah, in the Univ district of Seattle so probably.) Your response to Barbara jogs the memory that the ramens I have liked were miso versions. Hadn't connected those dots before.

But yes, pureed white chicken meat. I asked.

Think I better stick with pho from now on.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 am

Congrats on resisting the temptation to title this "What the Pho?"

We use a fair bit of miso in cooking, mostly Shiro, but don't do much with noodles (hakurei turnips cooked in miso are delightful!)

I'll second the preference for Vietnamese pho, although we do indulge in a local Chinese restaurant's wor wonton soup that is very good.

I don't like soups that are muddy oir mostly just noodles and water but as a base to mix in an array of meats and veg, the wor wonton is a fave.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:14 pm

I don't think I've ever had a soup that was "mostly noodles and water". Did you mean plain broth? I realize your preference for more meat than noodle (which I don't share, I love noodles). Speaking of which the ramen restaurant we were in had a good thing--they would replenish the noodles in your broth for $2. If I'd like the broth better I might have done that. :)