Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Know Your Onions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Know Your Onions

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:40 pm

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Know Your Onions

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:01 pm

This is good info and I like the way it is presented. I recently made a beef pho that I love and used a sweet onion. I was disappointed and realized that my sack of onions was the sweet Valdivia. I love when they come out and use them in many dishes but pho will not be one of them again.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:56 pm

I had a similar experience once when I mistook leeks for exceptionally large scallions. Way too fibrous.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:40 pm

I don't entirely agree with this chart. First of all my favorite onion isn't even listed. I go through at least 5 lbs of onions a month and I have for years bought all my onions at only one store, Haggen. The onions are a sweet variety grown in Washington and have very pale, flakey-papery thin skins. None of the other local stores--Fred Meyer, Whole Foods, Safeway (which owns Haggen) carries this onion. They're delightful, and as good raw in salads as they are useful in cooking. Until I moved here and started buying these exclusively, white onions were my favorite because I found them mild enough for raw/salad use. (Let's face it, they're all fine for cooking. Raw is another story.) Haggen isn't my primary place to shop, but when I am low on onions? It's time to go to Haggen.

About a month ago my onions disappeared. I'm distraught. So I'm back to buying white onions. Which means I'm also back to smelling onions when I choose them. Within batches available at any one time, some will give off a strong odor and some have none and of course I never buy any that have a strong odor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:15 am

What is this oh nyon of which you speak? (...His Majesty won't eat them so I have not used them in years...)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:19 pm

Jenise, are you referring to Walla Walla onions? We get them here at a certain time of year. They are great for many applications.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 pm

They're not labeled Walla Walla (in Washington, you'd think...but I digress) but surely that's the onion I love. And it's neither a brown onion nor a yellow onion. And brown onions labeled 'sweet' are never sweet. Very pale in color, thin flakey skin, squat not round.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov