Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Green sichuan peppercorns?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Green sichuan peppercorns?

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:22 pm

So we were out of Sichuan peppercorns and I stopped at HMart today (for other stuff). All I could find was green (we've always had red). Wikipedia says "Red Sichuan pepper is typically characterized as stronger-tasting, while green Sichuan pepper is milder but fragrant and has a stronger numbing effect." Any advice on substituting, or should I just go to the actual Chinese market? Hoping someone with more knowledge (looking at you, Paul) might have opinion.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Green sichuan peppercorns?

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:01 pm

Not Paul, and I've not used them myself, but thought this article fairly informative.

https://thewoksoflife.com/green-sichuan-peppercorns/
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 am

I buy my peppercorns from Penzeys and am fond of their tri-color peppercorn blend, black, pink, and white. I ordered a refill last week and they are now offering a four-peppercorn blend with the addition being the green. Green peppercorns come from the same Indian vines as the robust black Tellicherry peppercorns but are harvested before they mature, yielding green pepper with a fresh, clean flavor. It is well-suited for poultry, vegetables, and seafood. Dried green peppercorns can be ground in a peppermill like black peppercorns or crushed between your fingers, from India. I like the flavor so far, very pretty on foods.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:53 am

Thanks Jenise- good info. The more numbing part makes me cautious- will stop at Chinese market to get regular/red. But think I will use the green in the Sichuan fish recipe references.
Karen, will look at that next time I have a Penzeys order. Sichuan pepper (Prickly ash) is of course very different.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:58 pm

Green Sichuan peppercorns do have a bit of a different flavor profile compared to the red variety, but you can substitute one for the other. They have a bit more of the numbing quality to them so you may want to use the scant end of whatever quantity is called for in your recipe.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:01 pm

Thanks Paul!