Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What do you think of this?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

What do you think of this?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:14 pm

This grabbed me, not only is it unusual, but rather pretty. Plus, I have a similar dish, only square. The idea of using those beautiful baby potatoes that come in a package which are purple, yellow, and red, pulse the mini peppers makes it so colorful.

The Rancho Gordo Kitchen
Here is a dish that checks many boxes: visually appealing, vegan, gluten-free, easy to double or triple, loaded with foods that are indigenous to The Americas. And best of all, it's absolutely delicious.

We made this in our test kitchen and I just fell apart with joy. It's really good and the beans feel right at home in the center of things, as they should.

Your baking dish will determine the amount of ingredients you need. The dish in the photo is a small 1-quart gratin dish; you could use a larger dish and double or even triple the recipe. With a larger dish, you could make two rings of vegetables with the beans in the center. It's flexible!
A white ceramic gratin bowl with our Thanksgiving bean and vegetable tian
RECIPE: Thanksgiving Vegetable and Bean Tian
Ingredients

1 large garlic clove, peeled
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
About 1/2 pound baby potatoes (preferably multicolored), thinly sliced
2 small or 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
6 to 8 sweet mini bell peppers (orange, red, and/or yellow), cored, seeded, and cut into thin rings
1 to 2 cups cooked white beans, such as Rancho Gordo Cassoulet or Alubia Blanca
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stems
Salt and pepper to taste

Serves 4 as a side dish
Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut side on the bottom of a 1-quart baking dish. Coat with a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Thinly slice the remaining garlic.

Arrange the potatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, and garlic slices in a ring around the outside of the dish, alternating the vegetables. Pile the beans in the center of the dish. Sprinkle generously with thyme, salt, and pepper, and drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil.

Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 1 hour, until the vegetables are very soft and tender. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more. Stir the beans carefully, then drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Serve.

Darn, the photo did not post but I found it here.
https://deal.town/rancho-gordo/a-thanks ... PKJ8DQV65E
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: What do you think of this?

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:04 pm

Plating a bit precious for my own tastes, and I usually prefer grains (rice) with beans - as opposed to potatoes. But, otherwise, no need to bring in negativity, I'm sure it's delicious and one cannot go wrong with good ingredients and a bit of presentation creativity!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:52 pm

That does look great, Karen.

Standing vegetables on end must be a trend now because I also recently saw something based on Hasselback potatoes, which sort of look like they're standing on end, too. I haven't made it yet but I snagged a copy so it's here somewhere....
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:48 am

Yes, it is a trend, I tried it once with potatoes and it was pretty, not sure I liked all the fuss.