Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fun New to Me Products

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Fun New to Me Products

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:05 am

I recently discovered Trader Joe's Hatch Green and Red Chili Flakes. I've used them on salads, in soups, eggs, roasted veggies, and more, They are flavorful and have a bit of spice. Also, I love Chili Gods Red and Green Hot Sauces. Located in Healdsburg, CA they are full of flavor and a nice kick. Both are thick and yummy. Also. Sierra Nevada Beer Brittle with Jalapenos is amazing and addictive. I got these from Joy Lyn's in Paradise CA. All these would be great gifts for Christmas for your spice-loving friends and family. One more goodie to add to this is Bella Sun Luci Chipotle Tomato Topper. I love this on Ciabatta Bread, sliced thin and lightly toasted. Yum!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Fun New to Me Products

by Christina Georgina » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:42 pm

Karen, one of the first things I do when I get to a Trader Joe's (nearest one is 120 mile away) is go to the spice racks. I really like their offerings which always include new things and often not some of the old. Currently I found Everything Seasoning which comes in a jar with it's own grinder. I use it very liberally on lots of things and love it. Their Ajika from Georgia is quite good but doesn't have the kick of what my friend who just returned from Georgia brought back. Also like their Black Garlic but also need to use it liberally.
Sadly not readily available are the authentic spices my friend brought back from Georgia - Svaneti salt, wet and dry ajika, real blue fenugreek ( unlike anything I have found in the US) and others. Of course the mixed spices are not commercial and every family has their own stash with differences. Now wondering why we don't see more of these ? Perhaps just not in the Midwest but I often make a run to Kaluystan's in NY and have not seen similar.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Fun New to Me Products

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:41 pm

All those you mentioned sound great. We waited a long time to get a Trader Joe's here and when we did, the community was delighted. I found many items I really loved but also found out that they disappeared, never to be seen again. The store always gave the same excuse for every product. Finally, I stopped going there. Many of the products that get great reviews are not up to my standards, and many are high in calories and have lots of salt. When I buy produce there, it does not last very long compared to when I get it from Farmers Market. I buy their packages of sponges that need to be hydrated before use, love them and so far they have been available for years. Now, when I have some time to kill, I stop by and have fun browsing the isles. I see a lot of bad reviews lately... saying they have declined since selling out to another country. I have not checked this out so do not know if it is true or not. My last purchase there was the black garlic flakes and the Hatch Green and Red Chili flakes. I use them both, a lot.