Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite potato chip?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's your favorite potato chip?

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:35 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Utz is probably a little less salty than the Wise chips, but they are the tops. Hanover of PA makes a good chip too.

Also a bit less greasy than Wise. I prefer Utz to Wise for both those reasons, but if Utz were not available here, I'd choose Wise. We have access to both.

Hanover of PA pretzels are available here (southern New Hampshire), but not their potato chips.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The fresh Utz chips I used to buy at Lexington Market in Baltimore. Right out of the vat... oh, my.

Oh yeah! Utz chips. Wise were good too, but Utz I would kill for! Neither is available here in Phoenix. Kettle chips abound, but Lays are everywhere (and they suck!)
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:40 pm

Mmmmmm.... I forgot about the fresh Utz out of the vat over at the Lexington Market. They were the best. I wonder if you can still get them? I got them all the time when I was in law school at the U. of MD. School of Law right across the street from the market. They had killer sandwiches over there too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:44 pm

MikeH wrote:Yes, I remember Charles Chips.

Oooh! Charles Chips!

My grandmother up in McKean County PA had an empty can she used as a cookie tin. It was always full of applesauce-raisin cookies.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:24 am

Tim's Cascade - Jalapeno! Tied with Kettle - Sea Salt and Cracked Black Peppercorns.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Tim's Cascade - Jalapeno! Tied with Kettle - Sea Salt and Cracked Black Peppercorns.

Jo Ann, You stole my post. This is precisely what I was going to say. Well, I'd give a nudge to the Jalapeno over the salt and pepper, but just a nudge.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:07 am

Gibbles. From PA as well.

They are the ones (well, at least one of the possibilities) that are cooked in lard.

Rather difficult to find except in PA mostly... perhaps in MD etc. I believe they were a small-ish family brand so their availability sometimes wanes and ebbs (A search for Gibbles in yahoo gives few hits... but they may have sold out to bigger hands). For me, the taste is magnificent (the one time where I'll agree with Emeril: Pork Fat Rules).

A close second is Middleswarth regular (I'm not a huge fan of their BBQ that Larry already mentioned).

Was never terribly enamored with Wise, even though one of their potato chip plants was about 6-7 miles away from where I lived for a number of years... and on special occasions could get a whiff of their plant when the wind was just right. Nothing terrible about them, just sorta overkill - they were everywhere. I do love their bagged 'onion rings' though (not a potato chip).

One Wise chip style that I more than tolerated was Ridgies (plain); they were great with one of my favorite snacks... small curd cottage cheese and chips. The saltiness and the strength of the Ridgies was a perfect foil to the cottage cheese.

Yum.

Never had access to UTZ (Wise being the local home-town brand), and I think Charles Chips were around, just never remember buying them.

Mike

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:09 pm

As Stuart said, UTZ from PA. I love the Salt and Vinegar flavor because it is not just a light coating. And as Howie mentioned, I, too, remember Charles Chip in the big can that we used to get when we lived in Connecticut. If I recall, they were delivered like the mike was. I'll be in Connecticut this weekend for a party and I'll have to ask about them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:26 pm

Of all the brands discussed here, the only one I recognize and have had are Kettle Chips, which are all over the world. Nothing's better with an old fashioned onion dip than their Salt & Pepper chips, which I wish were more lightly salted than they are.

But fave? As in, "I gotta jones and nothing else will do?" Ruffles. Plain are best, but I also love the sour cream & cheddar flavor. Otherwise, I don't really care for flavored potato chips.

(Speaking of flavored snack foods, the other day I was at a party and spied some Triscuits. Yum, right? Well, no! They were some kind of garlic flavor--YUCK! Total yuck. Overly salted and vaguely rancid tasting to me. There's nothing like the original.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Of all the brands discussed here, the only one I recognize and have had are Kettle Chips, which are all over the world. Nothing's better with an old fashioned onion dip than their Salt & Pepper chips, which I wish were more lightly salted than they are.

But fave? As in, "I gotta jones and nothing else will do?" Ruffles. Plain are best, but I also love the sour cream & cheddar flavor. Otherwise, I don't really care for flavored potato chips.

(Speaking of flavored snack foods, the other day I was at a party and spied some Triscuits. Yum, right? Well, no! They were some kind of garlic flavor--YUCK! Total yuck. Overly salted and vaguely rancid tasting to me. There's nothing like the original.)

Ruffles may be the best dipping chip there is. I don't know of a better chip that hold the sour cream and onion better and it's not too salty. There flavored chips are okay too. I suppose they are the best "national" brand. You need to try the brands fresh out of the kettle though. They are awesome.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:As Stuart said, UTZ from PA. I love the Salt and Vinegar flavor because it is not just a light coating. And as Howie mentioned, I, too, remember Charles Chip in the big can that we used to get when we lived in Connecticut. If I recall, they were delivered like the mike was. I'll be in Connecticut this weekend for a party and I'll have to ask about them.

Our chapter of the Knights of Columbus on campus had a big can of Charles Chips. I grew rather fond of them. And Connecticut Wachusett, too (I see these days they've dropped the "Connecticut" part of the name).

But Utz remain my hands-down favorite.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:44 pm

I'm with Ryan on the sea salt and vinegar, especially Cape Cod kettle chips. The best.

Also agree with James, Ruffles are great for dipping, and we have found that we actually like the low fat version even better than the regular.

We also had Charles Chips delivered in a tin can while I was growing up. That was always a day to look forward to.

My grandfather had a potato chip factory in Wisconsin in the 1930s. He supposedly taught Mrs. Howe "how" (to make them)--a woman who supposedly started the first potato chip packaging operation. *Supposedly.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:05 pm

Like Bob Ross, the best ones I've had are ones I made myself using rice bran oil and baked in the oven, no other flavourings or seasonings are necessary. But very time consuming.

There are some interesting and some rather weird flavoured potato chips on the market in NZ now - like Roast Lamb and Mint, Honey Soy Chicken, Smoky BBQ, Salt and Vinegar with a twist of Lime, Mexican, Chilli and Sour Cream, Bacon Grill and a very stange Thai Green Curry chip.
If I am going to buy them for a secret snack, I prefer the plain old Kettles.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:17 pm

BBQ Pringles.

Remind me to tell you about the time I ate two cans of Olestra Pringles in 24 hours. :shock:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 pm

JoePerry wrote:BBQ Pringles.

Remind me to tell you about the time I ate two cans of Olestra Pringles in 24 hours. :shock:

Pringles are NOT potato chips!!!! This is sacrilige Someone call the Spanish Inquisition.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:49 pm

Maybe they are just too much of a potato chip for you? Eh, Sally?[/i]
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Umm, I think I might rather not hear about that.

:shock: is an understatement for what that must have brought about!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:38 pm

James Roscoe wrote:

Pringles are NOT potato chips!!!! This is sacrilige Someone call the Spanish Inquisition.

NOBODY expects us! Our chief weapons are surprise, and a fanatical devotion to Utz Potato Chips.

And that's "sacrilege", you twit. :twisted:

Two can of Olestra Pringles in 24 hours? Whatever were you thinking of? I know EXACTLY what you were thinking of for the 24 hours after that, though. :shock:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:14 am

Well, they're mashed potato chips....
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:57 am

Paul Winalski wrote:And that's "sacrilege", you twit. :twisted:

Well that kind of goes without saying.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I wish this forum had an easy to use spell checker. I knew I was spelling that word incorrectly.
no avatar
User

Bob Sisak

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:56 am

Shrewsbury, MA

by Bob Sisak » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 pm

I remember Charles Chips, too, and hadn't seen them in awhile. Last summer we had breakfast at a Cracker Barrel down in Milford, CT where we sail out of. They had big cans of Charles Chips in the country store front part of the place!! Got a few cans and sent one to our relocated friend out in the Seattle area. Was he pleased. I believe they carry them in most, if not all, of the Cracker Barrels and you don't have to eat there to shop the country store.

Also liked State Line Original Potato Chips and was really bummed when they went poof. I hear someone is making them again, but I get conflicting reports as to where they're located and I haven't seen the chips in any stores yet. The closest to State Line we've found are Wachusett Chips. Close, but not the same.
Bob Sisak
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:19 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I wish this forum had an easy to use spell checker. I knew I was spelling that word incorrectly.

It does. It's called Firefox. Visit the forum with the Firefox browser, and you'll find taht any suspect word shows up with a discreet red underline, which you're free to check or ignore. I ignored it telling me that something was wrong with 'taht", for instance.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

That's a nice feature of Firefox, Robin. Is it possible to add words to your own vresion of Firefox? Sauvignon, Jenise, Merlot, and many correctly spelled words come up underscored here.

I find myself ignoring the warnings because of the false negatives; three out of four of the underscored words are correct, for example.

I haven't found anything in the Firefox Help suggestions -- anything you know about?

Regards, and thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I wish this forum had an easy to use spell checker. I knew I was spelling that word incorrectly.

It does. It's called Firefox. Visit the forum with the Firefox browser, and you'll find taht any suspect word shows up with a discreet red underline, which you're free to check or ignore. I ignored it telling me that something was wrong with 'taht", for instance.

So hear I am yousing Friefox aand I don't sea know stinkin' red sea line. Is Moses going to come fix this for me?
PreviousNext