Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite potato chip?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

What's your favorite potato chip?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:49 pm

I've never given this much thought because I had no favorite until now. Someone suggested the Trader Joe's Salt and Pepper Kettle chips. I bought a small bag and we inhaled them. Very crisp, crinkled, fabulous flavor and very fresh.

My latest trip to Costco, I found a large bag of Kettle Chips, salt and pepper type, made in Salem OR. They taste the same as the ones from TJ's. We both love them.
So what is your favorite?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What's your favorite potato chip?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 pm

I find I like any of the Kettle-style chips. The cafeteria near my lab has a brand that I can't think of now but which are fantastic in plain, jalapeno, or "mesquite barbeque" flavors.

You do know that by definition, any container of potato chips of any size constitutes a single serving.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Uh Mike, the Costco bag is 32 oz. Can you imagine the calories? Anyway, they are so good that a handful is all I need, maybe not what I want, but all I SHOULD have.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Without a doubt, my favorite potato chip is from my childhood in Pittsburgh. The brand name is Wise. These were super-thin potato slices that were fried to a crispy golden brown. Not some shade of pale yellow but a mix of gold and brown. Like snowflakes, no two chips were alike.

Unfortunately, distribution is limited. In the last few years we finally have come across this brand in other cities. Now my wife and kids, none of whom grew up in the 'burgh, agree with me.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:You do know that by definition, any container of potato chips of any size constitutes a single serving.

Mike

Not sure this applies to potato chips but it certainly applies to Doritos!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:34 pm

That is are favorite corn type chip. So great with salsa. We love the white Restaurant quality type.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:10 pm

When we lived in Hawaii circa '72-'77, I gained in less time than the total ten lbs on Maui Chips.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:24 pm

MikeH wrote:Without a doubt, my favorite potato chip is from my childhood in Pittsburgh. The brand name is Wise.

These are the only chips my dad will eat, Mike! A friend of the family was the Wise distributor for most of the counties near my hometown. We had a never ending supply. Yum!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:45 pm

I make my own -- a technique rather than a recipe.

Heat the oven to 500F. Slice very good baking potatoes 1/16" thick, place on a Silpat lying on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil or vegetable oil, bake for six or seven minutes, flip over on another Silpat, bake until brown and crispy. Serve immediately. Salt and pepper and vinegar to taste.

I like a number of different commercial types, but they all need lots of salt to taste like anything. The baked types have an excellent potato taste, and don't need much salt, if any.
Last edited by Bob Ross on Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

We had a Wise plant 12 miles from us in central PA. They were quite popular, but hands-down for me is Middleswarth BBQ chips (another central PA brand). It's a good thing I don't live in PA anymore because I can't stop eating those chips.
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:10 am

Of all places... Target has potato chips under their Archer Farms store brand that are hearty and wonderful when I indulge. I love the ingredient list: potato, olive oil, salt. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 am

The fresh Utz chips I used to buy at Lexington Market in Baltimore. Right out of the vat... oh, my.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:31 am

MikeH wrote:Without a doubt, my favorite potato chip is from my childhood in Pittsburgh. The brand name is Wise. These were super-thin potato slices that were fried to a crispy golden brown. Not some shade of pale yellow but a mix of gold and brown. Like snowflakes, no two chips were alike.

Unfortunately, distribution is limited. In the last few years we finally have come across this brand in other cities. Now my wife and kids, none of whom grew up in the 'burgh, agree with me.

Agreed! Wise was where it was at. And I say that even though Kettle Foods, maker of Kettle Chips, is one of my clients.

My brother's buddy used to drive a Wise route. We used to will cases of the chips off the back of the truck. Fortunately, the statute of limitations has kicked in on that particular crime spree. And now my brother's a cop. Ah, New Jersey life!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 am

Two interesting chips here. I recall, as a youngster, Charles Chips, which, I believe were also made in PA. These were sold directly to the consumer in large cans. A driver in a Charles Chips truck would come to you r house and deliver them weekly. The second I had at my mother-in-law's a few years ago. I believe they were Grandma somebody's kettle chips. I was so amazed at how good they were that I found the bag and read the ingredients: Potatoes, lard, salt. 8)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:05 am

You may have noticed the common thread in most of these potato chips mentioned: Pennsylvania (the potato chip and pretzel capital of the world).
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 am

Big fan of Salt and Vinegar chips [much to the chagrin of my wife]. Love Salt and Pepper ones too but nothing beats a good kettle cooked Salt and Vinegar chip.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:07 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:You may have noticed the common thread in most of these potato chips mentioned: Pennsylvania (the potato chip and pretzel capital of the world).

No lie! My company specializes in packaging equipment especially for the snack food industry. We're in just about every potato chip house in the nation. Roughly 90% of our U.S. installed base is located in the Keystone State. Our regional manager there takes orders like teenager at a Burger King drive-thru window, while I have to suffer the slings and arrows of the road. No envy there!! :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 pm

I make my own -- a technique rather than a recipe.

Heat the oven to 500F. Slice very good baking potatoes 1/16" thick, place on a paper towel lying on a cookie sheet, brush with olive oil or vegetable oil, cover with another sheet of paper, bake for six or seven minutes, flip over on another sheet of paper, bake until brown and crispy. Serve immediately. Salt and pepper and vinegar to taste.

Bob,

Paper burns at 451... Did you mean to say paper towel? or Parchment paper?

Regards,
Howard
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:29 pm

I'm fond of Utz (yet another Pennsylvania brand). Both their conventional chips and their Mystic Seaport kettle chips.

I used to like Lay's, but they ruined them by oversalting.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Oops, Howard, thanks. Somehow I was making bacon in the microwave when I typed that. I'll edit my post.

Many thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Ryan D wrote:Big fan of Salt and Vinegar chips [much to the chagrin of my wife]. Love Salt and Pepper ones too but nothing beats a good kettle cooked Salt and Vinegar chip.

I like both Salt and Vinegar and Salt & Pepper (the latter I agree the Trader Joe's are great). But the flavored chip that rings my bells is the Utz Crab chip. It's Old Bay,not actual crab. The funny thing is after I buy a bag, I enjoy it immensely, then don't want any more for 3 months.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Two interesting chips here. I recall, as a youngster, Charles Chips, which, I believe were also made in PA. These were sold directly to the consumer in large cans. A driver in a Charles Chips truck would come to you r house and deliver them weekly. The second I had at my mother-in-law's a few years ago. I believe they were Grandma somebody's kettle chips. I was so amazed at how good they were that I found the bag and read the ingredients: Potatoes, lard, salt. 8)

Yes, I remember Charles Chips. I believe you swapped out the can too. Returned the empty one and received a full one. Of course I also remember milkmen and bread trucks going door to door.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:47 pm

Utz is probably a little less salty than the Wise chips, but they are the tops. Hanover of PA makes a good chip too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Two interesting chips here. I recall, as a youngster, Charles Chips, which, I believe were also made in PA. These were sold directly to the consumer in large cans. A driver in a Charles Chips truck would come to you r house and deliver them weekly. The second I had at my mother-in-law's a few years ago. I believe they were Grandma somebody's kettle chips. I was so amazed at how good they were that I found the bag and read the ingredients: Potatoes, lard, salt. 8)

Oh my yes! I remember those. My mom always had two cans of Charles Chips and one of their pretzels delivered evey week during the summer, and one can of each each week during the winter. Imagine my delight when the Publix I frequent starting carrying them, and my bitter disappointment when they didn't sell enough to keep carrying them.
Next