Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pantheon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Pantheon

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm

I watched a documentary on the building of the pantheon in Rome by the Emperor Hadrian - fascinating as we have visited the Pantheon and marvelled over a stone dome with a large open oculus in the middle of the dome that has lasted two millennia.

Then I perchance came across the mention of a restaurant that is about 10 seconds walk from the Pantheon - Armando al Pantheon.

Has anyone else been there? Take a look at https://anamericaninrome.com/2018/04/ar ... ome-italy/
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Pantheon

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:51 am

Armando is well-known. I could not get a rez last time I was in Rome. If you're up for a hunt, or possibly a puzzle, try going to Papa Giovanni. There is, apparently, considerable back-story to the place. Here's my story: http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/9459/

(Please excuse the link to a different board.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:54 pm

Good write up, Jeff. It certainly is great fun to stumble across really good food in unlikely surroundings.

We found most of our best food outside the tourist areas. We were travelling up a long winding road in Western Italy (it ended eventually at a rustic town where they made local cheese and you could buy some if you could find the farmer (we got him out of the barn, feeding his goats) and converse in 'Italish'. We booked into the only hotel in many kilos at Pradleves after visiting the cheese men, and found that they were doing a multi course dinner and they just tacked us on to that. Small interesting courses kept coming along with carafes of local wines for several hours. Couldn't have planned it better!

PS - SWMBO found her notebook. The restaurant was called Albergo Tre Verge d'Oro in Cuneo, and there were nine courses in the dinner along with a different wine for each
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Sounds like a great treat. I love stories of quirky excursions... "quirky" being a relative term, of course.