Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Things you like/love/loved that aren't there any more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Things you like/love/loved that aren't there any more

by Jenise » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:23 am

Rahsaan wrote:Even up by you, in what I presume is grape country? Here in NY, the farmers markets have a nice range of beautiful grape varieties, to suit a range of tastes. In fact some are already in the markets, but I'm too occupied with the summer fruits to worry about grapes just yet!!

Yes. Various types of concord grapes (including a local hybrid that is supposedly better), which I adore, do show up in the fall at farmers markets but green grapes here on the west side of the Cascades are scarce. I had some excellent ones from a vine in someone's yard few years ago, exact type unknown, but otherwise green grapes are scarce. I built an arbor in my yard and planted the concord hybrid to one side and a spicy red grape to the other, but deeply regret passing up a gruner veltliner when I made my choice. There was only one at the nursery I was at, and it was sickly looking compared to the others. I should have risked it anyway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:17 am

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:Even up by you, in what I presume is grape country? Here in NY, the farmers markets have a nice range of beautiful grape varieties, to suit a range of tastes. In fact some are already in the markets, but I'm too occupied with the summer fruits to worry about grapes just yet!!

Yes. Various types of concord grapes (including a local hybrid that is supposedly better), which I adore, do show up in the fall at farmers markets but green grapes here on the west side of the Cascades are scarce.

Ah yes, Concord. Peculiar taste, but also quite common in Ny, so those are actually part of my childhood memories! But yes, I guess I don't see many crisp green grapes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:04 am

The Concord grape is a domesticated* variety of the American fox grape Vitis labrusca. This is a different species from the Eurasian wine grape Vitis vinifera. V. labrusca grapes are noted for a distinctive strong, musky aroma when ripe. When made into wine, this turns into a peculiar aroma and flavor that most wine aficionados find distasteful. The technical winespeak term is "foxy". The Concord grape was first domesticated in Concord, Massachusetts. The grapes are mostly eaten as is or made into grape juice or jam. Manischewitz and a few other producers make Jewish sacramental wine from Concord grapes. There are other varieties derived from V. labrusca such as Catawba that have less of the foxy character when vinified.

Modern genetic analysis shows that Concord vines have about 1/3 V. vinifera parentage, and that the Catawba variety is one of its ancestors.

-Paul W.

*Wild grape species, including V. vinifera have separate male and female plants and produce fruit irregularly, not every year. There are occasionally vines with hermaphroditic flowers and that produce a reliable annual crop of fruit. For V. vinifera, such plants were discovered thousands of years ago and all modern grape varieties derive from them. The Concord grape was isolated in 1849.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:08 am

Good variety of grapes in NYC, too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:Ah yes, Concord. Peculiar taste, but also quite common in Ny, so those are actually part of my childhood memories! But yes, I guess I don't see many crisp green grapes.

It's the flavor of Welch's grape juice! But I do love them. When I was a kid a family up the street built an arbor over their garage. Their kids and I could climb up using a border fence behind the garage, and we'd sit up there and stuff ourselves. Good times!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:17 pm

I just learned that Kleenex has decided to abandon the Canadian market after many years as the most popular supplier here - to the point where their name became a generic term and people would ask someone to pass them a kleenex rather than a tissue.

I don't know - I think that they blew it!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:45 pm

Someone (Jenise?) mentioned the disappearance of white grapes (Thompson seedless) from local supermarkets. I checked yesterday and they're readily available here in southern NH. I've had wine made from Thompson seedless. It smells and tastes like bubblegum.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:20 am

Bill, Kleenex is the same here in the U.S. Is there a word for the kind of word it is, that is a brand-name-become-standard, like Xerox copy for any copy no matter the machine that made it?

Paul, lucky you. Thompson seedless are delightful eating grapes. I miss them!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:07 am

Jenise wrote:Is there a word for the kind of word it is, that is a brand-name-become-standard, like Xerox copy for any copy no matter the machine that made it?

There are too many words used for the purpose, none of which is quite right: deonym, eponym, metonym. Related concepts are genericization and, my favorite, "trademark erosion".
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:57 am

There was a discussion of words that started as trademarks but became generic (zipper is one of them) in the Unusual Words topic in Friends and Fun.

I interned at IBM's Cambridge (MA) Scientific Center for a few years back in the late '70s. On my first day of work I asked one of the staff where the Xerox machine was. He replied "The IBM copier is two doors down on the left."

A trademark becoming generic can be a localized phenomenon. For example, to hoover, meaning to vacuum clean, is a generic term in the UK, but Hoover remains exclusively a trademark in the US. Where in the UK you would talk about "hoovering up", we would say "vacuum cleaning".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:07 pm

I was shopping at Lull Farm today and delighted to see they'd put out a second wheel of Sage Darby cheese. This one had the label on it. It comes from Ford Farm, a large cheddar producer in England. Lull Farm also have a Double Gloucester and Double Gloucester with Chives from Ford Farm. Whole Foods in Nashua NH is also carrying Ford Farm Sage Derby now. It's good to see it back in reliable supply.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:09 pm

Cool, Paul. I do love that cheese too but haven't found a good source on the west coast. I recall passing on it somewhere, maybe Trader Joe's, because it had been the recipient of too much green dye.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:21 pm

I find Ford Farm's Sage Derby very tasty and not overloaded with green color. Their Double Gloucester (both with and without chives) is excellent, too.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:27 pm

My local supermarket (Market Basket) is carrying both chorizo and Portuguese-style chourico from Gaspari. Apparently the disappearance of the latter was only temporary.

-Paul W.
Previous