Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

That New Food...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

That New Food...

by Jeff Grossman » Tue May 16, 2023 1:28 am

...Pizza!

An article (pdf) from The Atlantic magazine from 1949 introducing we cautious Americans to the freshness and fun of Italian pizza:
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/media/archives/1949/10/184-4/132357979.pdf

I am amazed at some of the comments. Complaints about package food in 1949? English muffins for making pizza at home! Fun little article.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: That New Food...

by Rahsaan » Tue May 16, 2023 7:44 am

Nice article indeed. Always interesting to see how much things change. And the same goes for Italy! I assume you've seen this guy doing the media rounds, and his work on the 'myths' of Italian food. Including pizza, as it was quite rare outside of Naples until the post-WWII years.

https://www.ft.com/content/6ac009d5-dbfd-4a86-839e-28bb44b2b64c
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat May 20, 2023 2:58 am

That was a nice read!

My late mother discovered pizza via the recipes in one of her magazines - The Australian Women's Weekly, Woman's Day, New Idea, and other such cosy journals were her weekly pleasure, brought home from the grocery store with the shopping. Somewhere in the mid-60s, the family was introduced to this new food, whose name she pronounced as "Pitsa Pie". She made it with scone dough (flour, butter, salt, water) and topped it with sliced fresh tomatoes, sliced onion, and a sprinkling of dried herbs. I can only suppose that's in line with the recipe the magazine gave.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 20, 2023 3:37 pm

Did the scone dough make it hard to pick up slices? Or, did you knife+fork it on a plate?
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 am

She rolled it out thinly, to about half an inch thick, and it ended up fairly stiff when cooked, but we did eat it with knife and fork. I don't recommend it, though.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun May 21, 2023 6:15 am

The first pizzas I ever made i made with scone dough!.. I was probably 17, and it was so exotic, and at the time I’d never met a real pizza. There wouldn’t have been any yeast in the family kitchen and I proably used tasty cheese (a cheddar style. I think canned sardines may have been involved.
Things have improved somewhat since then.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 21, 2023 3:36 pm

I don't know how you improve on canned sardines. They're terrific.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 23, 2023 12:48 pm

I remember reading one of Julia's earliest books in which she says something like "there's this new thing called pizza; they say in 20 years everyone in America will be eating it. I'm not sure about that...."

Did a little hunting to see if I could find it. And I couldn't. But I ended up watching some Julia videos! Including one on pizza where she's mentored by Roberto Donna, an Italian chef that I did a course called Italian Vegetables and Grains with at the CIA in Napa. Brought back some memories.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov