Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tournament of Champions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Tournament of Champions

by Jenise » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:40 pm

I hate to admit that I got sucked into watching this. The chefs really cook so that part's real, but almost nothing else is. I'm not even sure the scant little audience is!

The 'randomizer' is a joke--clearly nothing random there. It's all pre-set, like even though there are 8 or 12 different options on each dial the fridge happens to only hold whatever the randomizer lands on in convenient trays--and not much else. The fear the chefs pretend to have for the randomizer is obviously faked. Sometimes the chefs appear to bring their own prepped ingredients or sauce mixtures that wouldn't in a million years be standard even in a "well-stocked pantry". The judges are more or less the same people all the time and so forth, who pretend not to know who made what in spite of the fact that nobody makes Indian food but Maneet--and she makes nothing else.

And yet I watched. The only truly interesting thing that happened the whole season was the finale risotto Mei Lin made from sunflower seeds. Definitely need to get to the bottom of that!

Anyone else watch?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Tournament of Champions

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:38 pm

No, but I've had a sunflower seed "risotto" before.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:50 pm

You did? Even some of the judges had never heard of that. What did you think of it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:23 pm

I had it as part of a chef's tasting menu at Catbird Seat in Nashville in 2016. Flavor is great but I'm less convinced about the texture: seeds don't chew the way that firm rice kernels chew.

I reported the dinner here during a 2020 discussion of Nashville dining: http://forums.wineloverspage.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63521&p=481109#p481109

But the original report is on a different forum, if you'll pardon the linkage: http://winedisorder.com/comment/56/8597/