Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chris Kimball ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Chris Kimball ...

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:05 am

I am seeing SO MANY ads from Christopher Kimball's Milk Street lately (although I don't recall one in the forum sidebar. :twisted: ) Is that all they do lately, sell overpriced knives and woks and such?

Also, in several of them, including the infamous one in which he declares the traditional chef's knife "a real problem," it almost seems as if no one has ever shown Chris how to hold a knife. Have any of you noticed this?

Kimball knife grip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Chris Kimball ...

by Jenise » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:51 am

Yes, he's a bit of a drip isn't he?

I pay no attention to his ads, though, which I do get. In general I like Milk Street the cooking show and online recipe resource. I ignore all the episodes about sweets and segments featuring one girl-chef in particular (find the episode where they do beef bolognese--THAT girl), but otherwise, they make the kind of food I like and enjoy knowing more about.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:05 am

Jenise wrote:... they make the kind of food I like and enjoy knowing more about.

Can't complain about that! That's what made me love Marcella Hazan's Italian cookbooks so long ago.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:48 am

The recipes are very international. And they don't shy away from spice. Pretty much the opposite of his old gig on America's Test Kitchen.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:38 am

I've grown to like Milk Street. Both the TV show and the magazine. I like the international aspect as I thought ATK and CI were getting old. How many "Weeknight Bolognese" recipes do you need - especially when one requires every pot, pan, bowl, utensil in you kitchen.

One thing I have been noticing is that Milk Street magazine can't be found in a lot places. I can't find it in supermarkets or bookstores. I have some luck trying the local kitchen store.

To actually make this post about the original thread title, I still find Chris Kimball annoying.