Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Au Revoir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Au Revoir

by Robert J. » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm

I just wanted to share a bit of information here. I will be leaving the boards for a while (or checking them very infrequently) due to some health issues that have come up.

One of these is my cholesterol. I am working on bringing it down through diet and exercise (-6 pounds in two weeks 8) ). I am not really overweight so my doctor thinks that this will not be a long term health issue for me. I am, therefore, cooking with almost zero sat fat and eating LOTS of greens. I don't find the diet boring, just not always worth writing about.

The other health issue has forced me to stop drinking entirely. No more wine or homebrews for me. So there is definitely nothing to write about there. This may change but for the time being I don't see that happening.

I have had a wonderful time knowing all of you through this forum. Should I stumble across a new dinner that just really needs to be shared then I may pop back in and do so. But until then, au revoir, mes amis.

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Au Revoir

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:07 pm

Safe travels, Robert! Hope it all works out well and we see you again.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 pm

Best of luck to you Robert and God bless.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:26 pm

All the best wishes, Robert. Stop by from time to time and tell us how everything is going. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:34 pm

Best to you, Robert. Let me know when your magnum opus is unveiled!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:18 am

The chair with your name on it is always at the table.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am

Oh Robert...what a shame. I am wishing you the best with your health. I am sure you will see improvements in no time.

Please don't be a stranger though, just because you don't feel your current or future meals warrant attention on this board, you still have lots of knowledge and experience to share and it would be a great loss for the inexperienced foodies/enophiles like me to miss out on that. GL and don't be too much of a stranger.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 am

Best of luck to you, Robert. And don't forget, just because your dining adventures will be low-sat-fat and healthful, doesn't mean you won't be enjoying exciting meals. I'm sure you'll develop lots of delicious new sauces and combinations to excite your palate -- and ours too, if you share! So, I hope you won't be gone long from here -- we'll be looking for your posts. 'Til then, best wishes and happy dining to you.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:48 am

Robert J. wrote:Should I stumble across a new dinner that just really needs to be shared then I may pop back in and do so. But until then, au revoir, mes amis.

Robert, as the others said, you're welcome here any time ... by long tradition, we always keep a seat near the fire reserved for our traveling friends, and your monogrammed beer mug will stay frosty in the freezer, ready for your use.

Really, don't be a stranger, though ... there's plenty of room in the Forum Kitchen, especially, for cooking talk that needn't involve wine in the dish or in the chef.

In any case, I hope your health issues work out well!

<i>Bon voyage</i>, and <i>au revoir</i>.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am

Robert,

You are one of those rare people who showed up in our midst one day and made it instantly seem like you'd always been here--fun, cheerful and helpful. We'll miss you--but you have to put your health first and you have to do that your own way, and I won't argue with your choice. Best of everything to you, your wife and son.

Jenise
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:24 am

Yeah, good luck. A friend dropped 40 cholesterol points in a month by using red yeast rice and polycosanol. Perhaps you should look into it. I use niacin and oat bran for the same reason.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:28 am

Robert J. wrote: I am, therefore, cooking with almost zero sat fat and eating LOTS of greens. I don't find the diet boring, just not always worth writing about.
rwj

A lifestyle change a few years ago, was good for me and through my journey, I learned a whole new way of cooking. It is amazing how those "greens" you speak of can make a dish taste fabulous, even without butter and other fats. Weight Watchers has a really great cookbook called, "Greatest Hits". I've cooked some very tasty things out of it.
I'm sure many of us could benefit from some of your finds, so keep us posted. Especially with the hotter season coming up, heavy cooking will be a thing of the past until next fall and winter. Good luck, and have fun along the way.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Robert,

If you get the urge to tell us about your discoveries on this journey, that's the time to come back in. Take care along the way.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, I just had to peek. Thank you all for the kind words. I literally cried a little when I read these responses. I love this forum as much as my bass forum. You are all so kind.

I am working on doing new things with greens, veggies, greens, beans, greens, grains, greens, fruit, and greens. As I grow more comfortable with these vegetarian and vegan styles (I still eat meat, just not nearly as much) I will certainly share what I learn. Undoubtedly, many of you will know most of this already but this is one of the greatest ways to learn: by sharing what you know with others who know already. I made sushi the other night for the first time and loved it (I've had it before, of course, but never made it).

Thank you for saving me a place at the table and by the fire. I'll certainly return. We can kill the fatted calf. And, Cynthia, as my first friend on this forum, you will have a seat in the 'composer's circle' when the magnum opus is unveiled. Of course, all will be invited!

Soon,
rwj
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 am

All the Best, Robert.