Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What I learned today

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:00 am

Holy moly, Barb. Of course, someone can ask that kind of money, but will anyone actually pay it? There are a lot of crazies on eBay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:07 pm

Yes, it’s one thing to ask and entirely another for someone to actually fork out the money!
There are crazy people indeed, my gardener harvests moss from my roof and elsewhere and sells it on eBay! Apparently he sells quite a lot (for fairy gardens). ..go figure
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Free on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61065/6 ... 1065-h.htm

...but I suppose I'm missing the point of owning the real thing. :wink:
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:15 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Free on Project Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/61065/61065- :x h/61065-h.htm

...but I suppose I'm missing the point of owning the real thing. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Gotta love the Gutenberg Project, an amazing resource.
I sometimes wonder how much information was stored only on, say, 5* floppies and how many nerds still have the right drive.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:40 pm

On Wednesday I learned that canned refried beans should be outlawed. I don't know if I've ever had canned before, but if Rosarita's 'Traditional' (meaning no extra flavors, like chipotle, are added) is typical, then it's for certain that I've never had canned refried beans before because all in recent memory were a million percent better than this. There is no amount of additional ingredients one can add to disguise the processed/canned flavor. Disgusting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:36 am

Sounds yucky (but all refried beans sound yucky to me).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:38 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Sounds yucky (but all refried beans sound yucky to me).

I remember being about 16 (cuz I remember the car I was riding in) and my best friend and I were comparing our most hated foods. My top three were blue cheese, refried beans and garbanzo beans. All of which I love now, but refried beans might have been the last and the hardest because texture was probably an even bigger issue than flavor. I adore them now, but am sympathetic.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:10 am

Jenise, I am sitting here chuckling because Rosarita’s refried beans are always in my pantry. I have never served them straight out of the can, however. When the kids were home, my refried bean dish was a favorite of theirs and their friends. I took the dish to school potlucks, and they were a requested item for events at the Redding Police Department. Being curious, I looked them up on Amazon and the ratings there from verified purchases were great.
As for canned Garbanzo beans, I use them a lot. I tried the dried ones once and they were not as good as the canned ones I buy. I buy top of the line canned items, S&W, Del Monte, Muir Glen, etc. Mostly varies varieties of canned tomatoes, red kidney beans, whole green beans and the garbanzos for a three bean salad I make. Again, never serve just straight out of the can, but in combo with other ingredients.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:19 pm

Ugh, really (on the refried?) I doctored these--thinned them with milk and added Gebhardts chile powder, but still couldn't get anywhere close to what refried beans from dried beans taste like. They show up frequently at gatherings in that layered party dish but I avoid it.

But as I said, I love garbanzos now. Never without them in the pantry.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:40 pm

I haven't tried making refried beans from the dried, mainly because I like the texture of the cooked dried beans so much and the lovely pot liquor that many of them have. I do have two cans of the Rosarita's in my pantry, but have been cooking so differently since Gene passed. Like you, still watching what I eat and these last 8 lbs. are the hardest to get off.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:27 am

I was grilling a couple of smaller black sea bass. Stuffed with fennel fronds and lemon. Ran across recipe by David Pasternack (Esca) that suggested letting the fish come towards room temp for 20-30 minutes, said if cold skin will steam and come off. Of course I usually let me come to room temp (unless thin chops or steaks), but have always kept fish as cold as possible. This worked well, but only one try (in past I'm a bit hit or miss about being able to keep skin intact, so I can't say definitely better method). But will try again and see if I really did learn something.
Also learned if you use green heirloom tomato and purple basil your caprese looks cool.
Lastly, Eric Kim had a fun article about the Southern tomato sandwich in last Sunday's NYT. Tomatoes are hitting market, so we split a tomato sandwich and a BLT for lunch Sunday. But followed Kim's suggestion and added furikake (basic nori sesame) to the mayo, winner idea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:05 pm

So today at the market I wanted Cracked Black Pepper Turkey from the deli section. With zero forethought, no "wouldn't it be funny if" stuff, just scrambling parts of words with other words as one sometimes does, out of my mouth came a request for "half a pound of the Black Pecker Turkey". Lady behind the counter and I instantly lost it. Was like three minutes before either of us could speak again.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:53 am

The jokes write themselves.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:14 am

Yesterday I learned that 'swamp cabbage' is another name for hearts of palm, apparently because the particular palm that gives forth this delectable ingredient is a Cabbage Palm.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:11 pm

If you said "swamp cabbage" to me, what would come to mind is skunk cabbage, which grows in swamps.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:01 pm

So Betsy asked me to try and find a "sweet miso" that a friend had given her (pouch was all in kanji). I was in HMart, right next to miso was a pouch of shio koji. A google showed a preview that said "Made from rice that is inoculated with Aspergillus oryzae, Shio Koji has a mild and sweet flavor that is the basis of miso paste and one of the most versat - I thought this could be it! But when I got home Betsy said no (subsequently I found out from friend that what I was looking for was Ama miso from Kyoto, but neither Japanese grocery -Daedo and Frontier- near me had. Friend is going to bring back from Japan).
But now I had the shio koji and needed something to do with it. A Serious Eats article said better to make yourself, but use as marinate for meat, fish, or vegetables. A search here showed Jenise using koji rice (shio koji is koji rice with salt and water) on beef. So last night I marinated a Tbone (on sale, no marbling to speak of, needed something) for about 7 hours. I was very pleased with the result - a little sweetness, but a load of umani.
So I learned about shio miso and ama miso.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:50 pm

Funny, Dale, but we made one of our favourite veg dishes late night - hakurei turnips simmered in shiro (white) miso with some other additions. Veeeery tasty!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:28 am

Reading an issue of MilkStreet, last night I learned that the original Ukrainian version of Chicken Kiev was made with ground chicken, not chicken breast. The change came when the Russians invaded circa 1922 and apparently deemed the whole breast more elegant. Also, where the butter had been a compound butter seasoned with dill and ginger, the Russians deemed it should be plain butter instead.

They supply a recipe (of course) for an oven-baked version of the ground which I look forward to trying.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:04 pm

Today I learned that leeks can be hot like onions--you know, make you cry. I use a lot of leeks and have never experienced that before.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:04 am

I experienced that with green onions I found at Farmer's Market. I was so surprised when I started cutting them. They were larger than the ones from the grocery store and I was dubious about buying them. They are actually very good and have lasted a long time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:53 pm

So Kenji Alt-Lopez tested the keeping of ripe tomatoes. Apparently there's a belief that taping over the stem end (like most of have learned help keep bananas from ripening too fast) helps. He says it does, but turning the tomato upside down--that is, stem side down--is just as effective!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 am

I always store tomatoes on the cool granite counter, stem side down. Was always told to do that way by my relatives who had large year-round gardens. Of course, in those days, we did not have granite counters. Cherry tomatoes are kept in a large round dish in a single layer. When I have a regular tomato that is beginning to wrinkle, I will put it into the fridge, so to hold it until I can roast it for
making sauce along with other tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 pm

You also want to keep the tomatoes, or any other fresh fruit, well ventilated. Many plants--tomatoes included--use ethylene gas (CH2=CH2) as a chemical signal to initiate and maintain the fruit-ripening process. Commercial mass producers of the supermarket golf ball tomatoes harvest them while green and force-ripen them in a chamber filled with ethylene. They change color but they never develop the flavor, texture, or nutrition of a naturally vine-ripened tomato.

If one of your tomatoes is ripening early and starts emitting ethylene and the others pick up on it, they will ripen, too. Keeping the tomatoes well-ventilated (not for example in a closed plastic bag) helps dissipate the ethylene.

This phenomenon of one ripening fruit triggering the whole lot to ripen is the origin of the saying, "one bad apple spoils the bunch".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:56 pm

I put mine in an open bowl lined with paper towels in the fridge. Works fine.
PreviousNext