Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

From the Beeb: Lab-grown meats ready for production

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

From the Beeb: Lab-grown meats ready for production

by Jenise » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Singapore has given regulatory approval for the world’s first “clean meat” that does not come from slaughtered animals.

The decision paves the way for San Francisco-based startup Eat Just to sell lab-grown chicken meat.

The meat will initially be used in nuggets, but the company hasn’t said when they will become available. Demand for alternatives to regular meat has surged due to consumer concerns about health, animal welfare and the environment.

According to Barclays, the market for meat alternatives could be worth $140bn (£104bn) within the next decade, or about 10% of the $1.4tn global meat industry.

UK scientists growing 'bacon' in labs/McDonald's to introduce plant-based burgers/Persuading China to switch to 'fake' pork

Plant-based meat options such as Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods are increasingly found on supermarket shelves and restaurant menus. But Eat Just’s product is different because it is not plant based, but instead grown from animal muscle cells in a lab.

The company called it a "breakthrough for the global food industry" and hopes other countries will now follow suit.

Over the last decade, dozens of start-ups have attempted to bring cultured meat to market, hoping to win over conventional meat eaters with the promise of a more ethical product.

Two of the largest are Israel-based Future Meat Technologies and the Bill Gates-backed Memphis Meats, which are both trying to enter the market with affordable and tasty lab grown meats. Singapore’s Shiok Meats is working on lab grown crustacean meats.

While many have touted the environmental benefits, some scientists have suggested it might be worse for climate change under some circumstances.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: From the Beeb: Lab-grown meats ready for production

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:51 pm

As the article pointed out, if you're not careful you may find that the carbon footprint for your lab-grown meat is actually higher than raising the animal.

I doubt that the PETA and deep-end vegan types will go for this, either. The initial animal tissue you use as the basis for the lab-grown meat still has to be involuntarily extracted from an animal. And cell lines from differentiated tissue aren't immortal. You will periodically have to extract new tissue from animals to replenish the process. So while fewer animals will be killed or harmed, it's not guilt-free.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Actually, I don't "use" any of this. It was direct from the BBC news service, though I realize I didn't make that clear. I personally find the concept of lab-grown meat rather off-putting though perhaps inevitable for a planet that isn't doing a good job of keeping everyone fed, and with declining prospects in the future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:11 pm

Do they have different techniques or materials for Angus vs Charolais? Grass-fed vs grain-fed? If not, why not?