Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Quack Me Up

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Quack Me Up

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:48 pm

SWMBO and I are planning a Christmas dinner. Neither of us is a turkey fan - there just isn't a lot of flavour in them and any enjoyment you get is usually from the sides and sauces - a tasty gravy, stuffing etc.

As there is just the two of us we have tended to opt for either duck or goose. I cook more of the former because I can cook two at a time if we entertain (which we won't be doing this year, of course) and two geese doesn't really fit into a standard oven very well.

I figure one duck can feed 4 people max and a goose is about the same - a whole lot of carcass and a limited amount of meat. So duck it is.

My question is what accompaniments to make. Sweet is off the table - neither of us likes an essentially candied duck nor sweet sides.

I have some thoughts - I have done a side dish of cooked red cabbage with chestnuts before and while I am not a big Brussels sprout fan (but SWMBO is) I can take them if I add enough bacon to them.

Any favourite sides for Christmas dinner out there? No starchy stuff, no sweet stuff, but anything savoury would be of interest. Not looking for the all too common gorge-on-turkey etc. and then collapse on the couch until the tryptophan fog lifts. I figured that the cooks here would probably have some interesting recipes I'd be interested in.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Quack Me Up

by Jenise » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:53 pm

Bill, I think most brussels sprout haters are not fans because brussels sprouts are so often prepared badly. They're old so they're bitter. They're undercooked so the natural sugars haven't been activated, or they're overcooked and dull. Even in good restaurants I have never been served brussels sprouts as good as what I made last night.

Here's how to make perfect brussels sprouts: select enough for two persons, about 16-20. Rinse, then trim the ends and cut each sprout in half. Gather them up plus any loose leaves, rinse quickly again and place in a small cereal bowl sized bowl. Whatever water clings to them is enough to be your cooking water. Add a sprinkle of salt and a pat of butter. Cover with cling film, cut a slit for steam to escape. Microwave on high for five minutes. Uncover, stir and serve.

The resulting sprout will be brilliant emerald green, achingly sweet and luxuriously tender. Add two crushed cardamom pods at the start of cooking to add an exotic twist. Bacon, garlic or other 'cover-ups'--not needed.

Only after you've prepared them my way will I believe you really don't like brussels sprouts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks Jenise, I will try it (and I may still add bacon, because everything goes better with bacon, right?)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:10 pm

Actually no! I think you should meet and acknowledge sprouts' actual natural goodness first. Cooked fast under intense high heat makes a remarkable difference over conventional cooking methods. Honestly, if the sprouts are fresh in the first place no adornment's needed. They're GOOD.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:42 pm

Years ago I read a humorous essay titled "How to Cook Your Goose". The author observed that roasting a ten-pound goose will yield about fifteen pounds of goose fat. I did a roast goose for Christmas once. It's true.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Fortunately it is probably the best fat there is, useful for roasting all sorts of things.

Ditto foie gras fat - whenever I sear some FG I save the fat and freeze it in aliquots suitable for frying eggs in and such. Yum!

Bill
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:53 pm

That it is!!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Years ago I read a humorous essay titled "How to Cook Your Goose". The author observed that roasting a ten-pound goose will yield about fifteen pounds of goose fat. I did a roast goose for Christmas once. It's true.

-Paul W.

I actually saw a spray can of duck fat in the grocery store today. Never heered of sucha thang...
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Haven't seen spray cans but some of our stores have little tubs like margarine full of duck fat, which is similar to FG fat.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:15 am

There's a great Roz Chast cartoon about the good things that come with Evolution: it shows a pre-historic brussels sprout the size of a boulder and, as each age progresses, it gets smaller and smaller....
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Amazed at that steamed microwave prep for brussels sprouts, but may try it one day.

Aside from the standard roasting, one of the more creative uses I have seen was a pizzeria that plucked the individual brussels sprout 'leaves' and used them as a pizza topping. Very cost effective because one brussels sprout could probably fill a whole pizza! But, also very labor intensive and I have not repeated at home. But, now that I think about it, perhaps I will.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:30 pm

Rahsaan, what the microwave achieves with high heat and very low moisture is unduplicatable with conventional stovetop cooking. Really, really fine.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:22 am

Jenise wrote:Here's how to make perfect brussels sprouts: select enough for two persons, about 16-20. Rinse, then trim the ends and cut each sprout in half. Gather them up plus any loose leaves, rinse quickly again and place in a small cereal bowl sized bowl. Whatever water clings to them is enough to be your cooking water. Add a sprinkle of salt and a pat of butter. Cover with cling film, cut a slit for steam to escape. Microwave on high for five minutes. Uncover, stir and serve.
The resulting sprout will be brilliant emerald green, achingly sweet and luxuriously tender.

Did this tonight, as stated. Sprouts were, indeed, bright green, tender, and boring. They desperately needed to be tossed in a pan with some hot oil and sizzled until leaves curl and crisp and the cut face is a slab of brown. A bit of seasoning would also help.

Live and learn. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:36 pm

Several things: I don't like or promote boring food. And I found salt and butter perfect for seasoning, though sometimes I add a few crushed cardamom pods. And I don't care for them skillet-blackened, which seems to be all the rage now.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:54 pm

We are going to try your recipe for sprouts, Jenise (will have bacon on stand-by to be used if necessary) :-)

On the Christmas dinner front, I have decided to accompany the duck with one of two recipes - red cabbage with juniper berries and pears, or braised red cabbage with chestnuts bacon and apples (the latter is the current - not currant - front runner).
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Several things: I don't like or promote boring food. And I found salt and butter perfect for seasoning, though sometimes I add a few crushed cardamom pods. And I don't care for them skillet-blackened, which seems to be all the rage now.
A chacun. (And, no offense intended.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:On the Christmas dinner front, I have decided to accompany the duck with one of two recipes - red cabbage with juniper berries and pears, or braised red cabbage with chestnuts bacon and apples (the latter is the current - not currant - front runner).

I was going to come back to your duck quest, Bill, to ask the question I should have asked in the first place: what's your theme? French, old English, Asian, no theme--makes a difference in what one would suggest for sides. Looks like you're going old English. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:18 pm

Well the side is certainly European, but I'm considering a spicy duck - but anything other than sweet. No figs, no a l'orange. I may well just do a salt and pepper rub and then roast it. Or a touch of hoisin, garlic, sesame oil, five spice and soy might make it more interesting.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:54 am

Some riff on Beijing or Sichuan Duck, perhaps? Coat the skin and air-dry it before roasting, to yield crispy skin.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:41 am

The Szechuan version takes a long prep to do right, but the Peking version is not hard to do. I like the 5 spice touch.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Bill, I love the combination of five spice powder and star anise. Combine them with a little salt and sugar (doesn't turn it sweet), rub all over AND inside, put in a bag because it will leak juices, leave 24 hours, turning every so often.

Btw, I am not a fan of sweet either as you know, and I did a l'orange a few years back that was to die for. Lots of herbs and modest on the orange, without sugar. I was attracted to the recipe because it was specifically for people like us who don't like sweet. You would like it in the same way you like aged Reislings.

Speaking of ducks! (Whew, mistyped that the first time!) I ordered a fresh guinea hen flown in from New York yesterday. Guess what, they sent a duck instead. Which is okay--it will be a free duck because they still owe me that guinea hen. So that, tonight, will likely be dinner. Or it waits until Saturday, tomorrow's spoken for. So I'm now in duck limbo too--def don't want to freeze it, fresh will be such a treat.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:41 pm

Our local big box store has started selling duck confit! We grab them and freeze the and use them whenever we want. All precooked in a bag that you drop into a pot of hot water to warm and then stick under the broiler (down a bit) to brown. I was skeptical at first but it is really good and quick.

I can see a non sweet a l'orange being decent - I would probably opt for using Seville oranges and hold the sugar to get the flavour without the goo.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Seville oranges aren't even an option down here. I've only seen them at retail once in my whole life. Further, I would worry that they'd be too bitter for the wine match--you don't think that would be a problem? Anyway, trust me--you'd like the dish.

So I just talked to D'Artagnan and they are apparently in a frenzy because they've been inundated with people calling to say their guinea hens are mislaberled as ducks. And I told him no way, I know my birds and this is a duck. He dug out the photo I sent last night and agrees. Guinea hen comes next week. I think someone in the warehouse just lost their job.

But oh wow, it's Luxury Poultry Week at Chez J!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:59 pm

Next