Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saffron: Do You Like It?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Saffron: Do You Like It?

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 pm

For over a year now, I have been dating Zari who is Persian. Thematic in her cooking is saffron. I'm still getting kinda getting used to it. Well, tonight in poking around farsinet.com I found the following information which is basically a sales pitch, but I'd like to know from those in the know if the info rings true.

Saffron

It's interesting.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Saffron: Do You Like It?

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 am

Mostly rings true to me. I have both Iranian and Pakistani saffron in my freezer and both seem excellent- not much to choose from. All stigmas (stigmae?).

There's a magic affinity between saffron and rice.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:01 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Mostly rings true to me. I have both Iranian and Pakistani saffron in my freezer and both seem excellent- not much to choose from. All stigmas (stigmae?).

There's a magic affinity between saffron and rice.

I think it's "stigmas" or "stigmata," although the latter has the stigma of religious connotations.

Hmmmm, maybe I can get Zari to whip us up some vegetarian polow or the other. We can munch on the "ta dig" drink, some wine and sing "Mellow Yellow."

She gets her saffron from her sister in Iran, but stores it in liquid form.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:08 am

Saffron risotto, mmmmm. Also, I learned to put saffron in chicken soup and by extension into almost any other soup from a friend of mine.
Howard
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Didn't know about freezer storage. I keep my Kashmiri and Spanish saffron form Penzey's in a glass jar in the dark.
It took awhile to learn how much to use - too much and adding it too late in a recipe makes for a medicinal taste.
Agree about use in soups/stews-especially seafood soups.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Trenton B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Arlington VA

by Trenton B. » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:39 pm

If you talk to a Moroccan they will tell you it serves only as food coloring. About the only other peice of information I know rings true, it has the highest content of antioxidents of any spice you can buy.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Trenton!
no avatar
User

Trenton B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Arlington VA

by Trenton B. » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Trenton!

Thanks
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:16 am

Thanks Gary for posting that. I love saffron...but I am not sure how much saffron is used in dishes that I get (I have never cooked with saffron myself). I am told it is "saffron rice" or "chicken in a saffron sauce" but it could quite easily be tumeric.

I always wondered if I could pick my own saffron from the crocuses that grow in my front yard. I have read they need to be special crocuses, but I am still really curious about it.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:19 am

You'll need a LOT of crocuses. (croci? crocata?)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 am

Maria Samms wrote:Thanks Gary for posting that. I love saffron...but I am not sure how much saffron is used ...

I've found you need to experiment. It's kind of like with chillies (chiles, chilies), one must find one's own level. Christina Georgina mentions a medicinal taste when too much is used and I tend to agree with that description. But what is too much? Zari puts her stigmas into a jar of water and pours a saffron solution into her cooking. When her hand slips, oy ....
And now what?
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:37 pm

It is much better to marinade the saffron in very hot water for a few minutes. This brings out the colour and flavour.

Spanish is the best. I have found some really poor examples elsewhere.

You can also get it extracted in the form of a liquid.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Yes, letting the saffron soak in warm stock/water colors and flavors the liquid. To avoid the medicinal taste I add the flavored liquid early in the recipe. The later you use it, the stronger the taste. It can easily dominate a dish. I favor a more subtle flavor.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi Trenton, welcome to the forum.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Thanks Gary for posting that. I love saffron...but I am not sure how much saffron is used in dishes that I get (I have never cooked with saffron myself). I am told it is "saffron rice" or "chicken in a saffron sauce" but it could quite easily be tumeric.

I always wondered if I could pick my own saffron from the crocuses that grow in my front yard. I have read they need to be special crocuses, but I am still really curious about it.

Turmeric is quite often used as a substitute for saffron when all that's desired is a yellow color. But turmeric lacks the wonderful fragrance and flavor of saffron. There's no substitute for the real thing.

My understanding is that saffron is harvested from a particular breed of crocus. You would indeed need a large number of flowers to harvest your own!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 pm

I love saffron, but like others I find it gets heavy quick, and I don't want it too often. Less is more, in other words.

And welcome to both Trenton and Warren!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Trenton B.

Rank

Cellar rat

Arlington VA

by Trenton B. » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:41 pm

You guys made me go look as to the variety I have, curiosity gets the best of me from time to time. I picked up some of the Iranian while in Bahrain a year ago, could not beat the price for quanitity, made me pretty giddy. I like it on chicken, it developes such a wonderful color in the skin, making the overall presentation that much better.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I like saffron a lot, and cook with it quite often. It does come from a particular crocus (sativus, I believe) and good quality saffron requires that it comes from croci grown in particular regions of the world (the Mediterranean, of course). I agree with Warren, that the best saffron I have tasted is Spanish. I also agree with Jenise and Christina that it is an herb that requires you know a little about how to use it, as it can be overpowering. I would recommend against purchasing the powdered, as I find it has a shorter shelf life. Purchase the threads -- Stuart is correct, short threads are best (i.e. most potent), and use a mortar and pestal to powder as needed. You can control it by adding the powder (a little at a time) to hot water (I would recommend hot chicken or seafood stock for the added flavor boost.), before adding the liquid to your other ingredients. There is no comparison between saffron and turmeric -- all you need to do is open the lid on both containers and take a whif!!! Saffron is unmistakable and leaves a definite mark in your olfactory cell memory once you've been around it (you may not remember what it is -- but you know you've smelled it before). It is a wonderful companion to chicken, seafood, rice (abrorio especially) and any combination of those. Its most famous pairing is probably in the dish Paella (especially from the Valencia region of Spain), for which there are as many variations as their are for gumbo. But, it is probably one of those tastes that you either like or dislike (like cilantro), with little in between. I love it and seldom serve grilled salmon without a side dish of saffron rice (one the quickest and easiest way to come to know it). The price seems a little steep, but you get significant bang for your buck! A quick and dirty recipe:

Saffron Rice

2 Tbsp butter
~ 1/4 c chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 c rice (your choice)
4 c chicken stock
1/8 to 1/4 tsp saffron threads
salt to taste

Simmer chicken stock until simmering. Grind saffron in mortar and pestal until powdered. Melt butter in heavy bottom sauce pan. Add onion and saute until translucent; add garlic and cook one minute more. Add rice to pot and stir to coat all grains. Add half the powdered saffron to the stock and taste -- add more til desired taste, if needed. Add salt to stock, if using. Add stock to rice, cover and simmer til all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (approximately 20-25 minutes).
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Welcome to the forum Jo Ann, from this post alone I can tell you will be one of us really quickly. With a double first name I am betting you are from the south, do I win or lose? :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:41 pm

Lecompte, Louisiana!!!
We've got a winner :D :D :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:35 pm

wedwardes wrote:It is much better to marinade the saffron in very hot water for a few minutes. This brings out the colour and flavour.

Spanish is the best. I have found some really poor examples elsewhere.

You can also get it extracted in the form of a liquid.

My mother suggested that I zap the saffron in the microwave for 2 minutes before adding the hot water.