Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: Korea and China

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: Korea and China

by Saina » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Once more from EastTeas:

Nokcha

Brewed at c.70C for a couple minutes. Ever since I tasted the absolutely fantastic Sparrow's Toungue from Korea, I've wanted to taste more from this country that one rarely sees drinks from (I did taste one pretty nice Riesling from there, but that's another story). The Nokcha is quite a bit cheaper at £6,50 / 50g, and isn't at all as complex as the Sparrow's Tongue, but it is a very nice tea anyway. The nose is rather unique in its earthy and dough-like tones - rustic, but in a positive way. The palate shows a bit of bitterness (maybe c.70C was too high?), but nothing disturbing. It was full bodied and fruity and very satisfying. Nice!

Tie Guan Yin

From China's Anxi County in Fujian. This is a green oolong (I thought Oolong was semi-fermented so neither green nor black but something in between? - where did I go wrong?). The nose is fantastic! It is very bright and lifted, with a bit of that cat's piss aroma that is so beloved by all Sauvignon Blanc fans. It has much green-tea-like notes but with a floral twist - so is a green oolong just an oolong that leans towards a green tea in its flavours? It is also nicely citrussy. I really, really love the brightness of this tea. This and the Shan Qie Ye are maybe the most complex teas I've ever tasted. I think that because of that extra brightness to this tea, that I prefer this, though I do admit I did find the LaTâcheyness of the SQY very beguiling also! :) Brilliant stuff.

-Otto-

p.s. I never thought about it, but should I post these TTNs in the food forum or the basement?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.