Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anyone use a pizza screen?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Does anyone use a pizza screen?

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:31 pm

I've been very happy with my pizza stone, but it does take an hour to heat to 700F in my Viking Grill. The screen supposedly cooks as well or better, avoids the parchment paper step, and is ready to go as soon as the pie is assembled.

Any thoughts on the pizza screen approach?

Thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Does anyone use a pizza screen?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:44 pm

I might be clueless. What parchment paper step when using a stone?

We have a stone, and we have some non-stick pizza pans with small holes all over them. They work quite nicely for everyday/week night pizza making and do indeed make a nice crisp crust. I think they came from Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I like the ceremony of the peel and stone though, especially when guests are here. Most of them have never used one so it's something new to play with. My first job (age 14) was in a pizzeria so I can add many impressive flourishes when handling the peel.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I assemble the pizza on a piece of parchment on the peel, Cynthia. It takes the place of corn meal, which works well, but is messy. Even with a metal peel, I've found that well made pizza dough will stick to the peel without either the corn meal or the parchment paper.

I pull the parchment out from under the pie after about 30 seconds so the paper doesn't burn.

We share the pizzeria experience -- it was a seven year part time job for me -- everything from busing dishes to cooking pies. Still love to throw the dough up in the air. :)

I've seen those round pans with holes in them -- no need for a peel using them I suppose?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:54 am

but it does take an hour to heat to 700F in my Viking Grill.

I hate you.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 am

Ah. Thanks for that explanation, Bob. I use coarse ground cornmeal. I don't mind the little bit of mess it causes.

Nope, no need for a peel with the hol(e)y pans, and as you noted, no preheating of them is necessary. Makes it very fast and convenient for an after work pizza session.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 pm

"I hate you."

Me too [sometimes]. I've got something perfect going on here, what with your flour and Robin's technique and that high heat. What's this compulsion to do something different?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I've been very happy with my pizza stone, but it does take an hour to heat to 700F in my Viking Grill. The screen supposedly cooks as well or better, avoids the parchment paper step, and is ready to go as soon as the pie is assembled.

Any thoughts on the pizza screen approach?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, 700 degrees only takes about 15 minutes in my ceramic grill, but it takes more than an hour to cool back down, especially without lifting the top. That pizza screen looks very much like a splatter screen, used to cover a skillet of frying food.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:16 pm

"Bob, 700 degrees only takes about 15 minutes in my ceramic grill ..."

I should really time it, Bob. I start the cooker, make the dough (unless it's already made and rising in the fridge or thawing), then precook the toppings -- the onions take about 15 minutes. I've guessed it would take an hour or so, but maybe it is less.

Cooling down is no issue here -- we store the stone in the grill all the time -- and besides, we are too busy eating pizza to worry about cooling down times. :)

thanks -- I'll check that heating time.