Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:51 am

For dinner last night we had pan-seared steaks with Chinese cauliflower lightly steamed and finished with dill and lemon juice. I really wanted rosemary instead of dill but I was too lazy to go out in the rain and cut some. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:51 am

Two years ago, I realized I was tired of going all the way to the back of the property in the rain, snow, and 110° to pick herbs. I found a waist-high planter box at Lowes, it was a modern style, nice looking legs, and the planting top was almost the same color as the house. I bought it, set it up and it is large enough to hold my most used herbs. The French and Lemon thyme, chives, and marjoram last all year. In spring I add parsley, cilantro, and basil. The cilantro bows out the minute the heat arrives. I love it and it is under the patio roof but enough of it gets rain, so it is great in the winter. I have a drip on it for the summer months. I still have to go to the back to get rosemary, the plant is huge and has been there a long time. My sage died last year and I need to replace it this spring.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:59 pm

I got around to making beef pho last night. Easy to make and really yummy! This dish and sriracha are made for each other. I used real, Thai sriracha, not that Californian rooster stuff, and it added just the right touch of heat to the dish.

There's a Vietnamese restaurant in Chelmsford MA that is famous locally for its pho. Now I'll have to pay them a visit.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:54 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:There's a Vietnamese restaurant in Chelmsford MA that is famous locally for its pho. Now I'll have to pay them a visit.

-Paul W.

There are 3 Vietnamese restaurants in Chelmsford. Which one are you thinking about? I've eaten at Pho 88 and it is OK - not great. The other 2 I can't comment on.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:16 pm

Today, I made a dish inspired by some I had seen online and a Chinese Chicken Salad I recently had that knocked my socks off. First, I cut thick green cabbage steaks, seasoned them well, then charred them in a cast iron pan sprayed with coconut oil. They were placed into a casserole dish. I sauteed 1/2 of a diced onion, then added fresh garlic, seasoned it with tarragon, salt, and pepper, then added the freshly riced cauliflower had mixed well. This went on top of the cabbage. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts that had been in buttermilk and Tabasco overnight were drained, then seasoned with Roasted Chile and Garlic Olive Oil, paprika, salt, and pepper, and placed on top of the cauliflower. I cut sweet cherry tomatoes in half, sliced green onions, and scattered them on top of the dish. A little chicken stock and vermouth were added to the dish. This will bake tonight at 425° for about 35 to 40 minutes I have a killer dressing left over from the Chinese Chicken salad that will be drizzled over at serving. Along with this are large Brussels sprout halves that have been roasted and topped with Caramelized Balsamic onions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:28 pm

Karen, that sounds like a great combination of flavors and textures.

Tonight we're having broiled lobster tail. A 24 ouncer that will feed both of us. May just do it simple with buttered rice, I don't know yet. A salad will be involved as well. Frisee and watercress, I think.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:42 am

Jenise, I love the lobster tail and used to order it all the time when we traveled in our RV up and down our favorite coastlines. I have never cooked it myself...how do you cook yours? This is something I must do. Do you add any spices, or butter before broiling?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Dan, Pho 88 was the one I had in mind.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:35 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, I love the lobster tail and used to order it all the time when we traveled in our RV up and down our favorite coastlines. I have never cooked it myself...how do you cook yours? This is something I must do. Do you add any spices, or butter before broiling?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:45 pm

Karen, what you want to do is cut the shell down the top, pry it open with your fingers, and lift the tail meat out and up, then push the two halves back together underneath to create a platform for the meat. You're now ready to broil. I baste with melted butter, broil until it's lightly browned, baste with butter again, then turn the oven off leaving the lobster inside. It bakes through in about ten minutes. This tail was so large I allowed 20, but same idea. That's all it takes. Cooking for yourself, it's easy to do just one. Buying them could be another story; I got mine from MaineLobsterNow.com.

I chose a Sauvignon Blanc to go with this meal, so I added a knob of butter and some tarragon to the cooking water of the jasmine rice I wanted for a side dish, and made wilted spinach with garlic. Tarragon's a magical herb with both shellfish and sauvignon blanc, and spinach, too. I did not serve a dipping butter--good as that is it's just too decadent these days.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:48 pm

Tonight I'm doing a tray bake of duck legs, fennel and carrots. It's cloudy out but 58F--feels like spring, and that's a perfect dinner for this kind of weather. Light and hearty at the same time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:13 pm

Well oops. Friends invited us for dinner at 5:30--went to a local oyster house and had an absolutely awful meal which gave me food poisoning. So tonight we do the duck.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:43 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Tonight: venison chops, seared in a cast iron pan, rare+ for me and medium-well for he. Served with brussels sprouts and mashed potato.

Going to do this one again on Saturday for V-Day, but with broccolini and almonds instead of sprouts. A couple pieces of foie to start, and mousse to finish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:14 pm

You're lucky you can find venison!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:29 pm

D'Artagnan.
Previous