Discovery about potatoes

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Discovery about potatoes

Postby Jenise » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 pm

For the fourth of July I made a potato and fennel salad. Only a waxy or waxyish potato works in this dish, and I used Yukon Golds cut in about six long wedgies each--boil first to about 80% done, then toss with a bit of oil, salt and pepper and roast on cookie sheet until golden brown and crispy. But I made way too many, and would have normally tossed out what we didn't use (potatoes are cheap) but there were so many in this case, I thought maybe I could turn them into a potato salad or something.

Yesterday I came across the roasted potatoes in the fridge. I took one out of the bag and noted that it tasted like a finer version of a frozen French fry, so I threw one in the toaster oven to see if it would recrisp. Not only did it, but it was delicious--not at all the flavor, due to having been precooked in water, of a leftover dry-baked potatoes which is not a flavor I like. It tasted FRESH. So all the rest of them went into the big oven for recrisping and we had a "French fry" first course with a homemade BBQ sauce for dipping. Fantastic!

In the future, not only will I not worry about having leftover potatoes when doing this method of roasted potato, I'll make sure I have leftovers! Also, it's a great do-ahead method if one wanted to do a big batch of 'fries' for an outdoor party.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Discovery about potatoes

Postby James Dietz » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:54 am

Potatoes are way under-rated. How many other veggies can be served at breakfast, lunch and dinner, as a snack and in so many guises? Baked. Fried. Whole. Sliced. Puréed. In soup. As soup.
Cheers, Jim
James Dietz
Wine guru

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 am

James Dietz wrote:Potatoes are way under-rated. How many other veggies can be served at breakfast, lunch and dinner, as a snack and in so many guises? Baked. Fried. Whole. Sliced. Puréed. In soup. As soup.

Hot or cold!
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Rahsaan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 pm

James Dietz wrote:Potatoes are way under-rated.

Who underrates them? By their ubiquity I would say that many many cultures have figured out exactly how delicious they are.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy

Postby Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

Perfect accompaniment = garlic aioli (but I understand why that wouldn't occur to you....) :D
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Return to The Forum Kitchen