Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mmmmushroom risotto ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Mmmmushroom risotto ...

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:00 am

Mmmmushroom risotto ...

I made risotto for a small crowd tonight, more than doubling our usual ration for two, and it worked out very well. Its rich brown color reflects the presence of brown domestic mushrooms and plenty of reconstituted dried porcinis, a fresh mushroom broth incorporating the concentrated porcini soaking water, and, of course, a load of deeply browned onions, bringing the color and delicious flavor of caramelized onions and garlic to the party.

Since we were hosting a small business meeting, I decided to cook the risotto to near completion, just short of al dente, before our guests arrived, then put on a lid and left it at room temperature for an hour or so, returning at dinner time to finish it over heat with a little more mushroom broth, butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano. I hoped this wouldn't post an unacceptable risk, and as it turned out, the finished product's texture was fine. I think it was more prudent to do it this way than it would have been to finish it early and then try to reheat.

So, this approach worked well for me, but there's always room to learn. If you've tried pre-cooking risotto and then finishing it later, I'd love to hear your tips and techniques.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Mmmmushroom risotto ...

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 am

Have done that myself with our family risotto recipe. It is one that cooks along without all the stirring, love it. Also, love all the ones I make that require the stirring for the creamy texture....all good! Actually, you know this, it is the way many chefs do it in their kitchen...
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Wow, that's a good looking risotto.

Only once have I tried to hold a risotto for any length of time before service. About 3 years ago I decided to try making the dish in "Jasmine Sous", my GeeWiz Magic Unicorn Powered rice cooker. It actually came out much better than I expected, considering I dumped in all the liquid at once and only stirred it maybe 3 times. But right at the end my wife was called out on some errand and left for over an hour. Bless Jasmine Sous, though. Her little fuzzy logic brain kept everything nice and creamy til she got back. When wifey returned I just added a little more stock to loosen it up, and she was as good as new. (The risotto, not the wife.)

I don't know that I'd do that intentionally again, but it's nice to know that my rice cooker is a better cook than I and can handle it in an emergency.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:18 pm

As one who doesn't at all mind leftover risotto, I can't say I'd hate it if it were completed and then reheated. My understanding, though, is that the accepted method of holding risotto is to do what you did - get it 95% of the way there before holding and finishing. That's how I've done it on the rare occasion that I've not served it immediately.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child