Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 pm

And refrigeration!!! Don't get me started on this issue.....

I'd like to get you started on this subject, because curious minds want to know. I watched a reality show last week about a couple who eats raw. They drink raw eggs because supposedly they have a calming effect. The kitchen counter was loaded with cartons of eggs ready for anyone to crack open and drink. I was horrified because I have never seen eggs not being kept under refrigeration. I was always told the best way to store them is in the egg carton they come in and put into the fridge. The eggs I buy at the Farmer's Market are organic and the chickens run all over the place, eating bugs, and the special foods they are fed by the farmer. My grandfather raised chickens ( 60 years ago) and he put the eggs into cartons, then into a fridge he kept in a building next to the chicken houses. They were sold to local grocery stores. So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Robin Garr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
And refrigeration!!! Don't get me started on this issue.....

I'd like to get you started on this subject, because curious minds want to know.

Here's an authoritative article, Karen, well worth reading all the way through.
http://io9.com/americans-why-do-you-kee ... 1465309529

Long story short, Europeans generally don't refrigerate eggs but Americans do, but we have a reason: Our eggs get washed to make them pretty, and that removes a protective layer that Europeans know enough to keep but we lose because we want our eggs to look pretty and clean. :( There's also the issue of serious contamination problems with Big Agra's "industrial eggs" being frequently loaded with salmonella or e. coli. :P Bottom line, unless you buy unwashed eggs from a neighbor who has chickens, you're probably more prudent to refrigerate in this country.

Personally, though, I'm not too worried about regional free-range eggs bought even from larger local producers with good reputations. When we had a couple of bad power failures a couple of years ago (Hurricane Ike's weird inland venture, then a bad ice storm), we went with the Euro model and did not discard our eggs, and they were fine.

But I wouldn't do that with industrial eggs from battery hens. Of course, I don't buy or eat those eggs any more. :P
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16673
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Tom NJ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:http://io9.com/americans-why-do-you-keep-refrigerating-your-eggs-146530952


That was a really interesting article. I had no idea it was actually illegal to refrigerate eggs for commercial sale in Europe. Fascinating, if unsettling, stuff.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
User avatar
Tom NJ
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Joy Lindholm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Ditto what Robin said! :D
User avatar
Joy Lindholm
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Joy Lindholm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?


If your kitchen warms up quite a bit when you are cooking, like mine does, then I probably wouldn't leave them on the counter. Like Robin's article mentioned - a temp of mid 60s to low 70s is ideal. Better to store them in a cool pantry or basement than an area with temperature swings. You should be good for at least 2-3 weeks if you do that. You should also ask the farmer you buy eggs from if they wash them or not. Better to buy eggs with a bit of debris on them and then wash them just before using, if you are worried about contamination.
User avatar
Joy Lindholm
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Frittata? Omelet? What's the difference?

Postby Karen/NoCA » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote: So, how long can fresh eggs be kept on the counter and why would one do that?


If your kitchen warms up quite a bit when you are cooking, like mine does, then I probably wouldn't leave them on the counter. Like Robin's article mentioned - a temp of mid 60s to low 70s is ideal. Better to store them in a cool pantry or basement than an area with temperature swings. You should be good for at least 2-3 weeks if you do that. You should also ask the farmer you buy eggs from if they wash them or not. Better to buy eggs with a bit of debris on them and then wash them just before using, if you are worried about contamination.

I'm not worried about contamination, but others must be because the eggs are clean. We used to have a farmer at the market that sold fertilized eggs.....few bought them. Now she sells eggs that are not fertilized.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Previous

Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests