Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Re: What's cooking?

by Drew Hall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm

and the finished presentation........

IMG_0883small.JPG

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Methinks tonight is pesto and sliced tomato pizza night. Wife's picking up a pinot griggio after work. Quick and easy.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Drew,

That's one bodacious pasta e fagioli. I'm currently backed up four dishes deep on leftovers. Once I've eaten through all those, I'm sorely tempted by this pasta e fagioli.

Regards,

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm

The weather has turned decidedly cooler, so I see a ham, bean lentil barley soup on the menu tomorrow. Hopefully, NJ will be anxious to make some bread from Peter Rinehart's Artisan bread book a try. <hint><hint>
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Tonight is a marinated flank steak (soy sauce, fresh garlic, lime juice, oil,fresh ginger, brn. sugar and red curry paste) grilled, sliced thin and served over red leaf lettuce, cilantro leaves, fresh basil and artichoke hearts with stems. An organic white cheddar and fresh garlic filone loaf, and a Willamette Valley Pinot Noir.
I brought in a new supply of olive oils and vinegars to play with, so I will make a vinaigrette to dress the salad.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Garden and farmers' market dinner of roasted Galeux d'Eysines French heirloom pumpkin with fresh rosemary and sage, with quickly steamed kale on the side. Wine? I think craft beer would be good, maybe a Schlafly Kölsch.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Tonight we split a very large rib eye (she got the eye) that had a pat of butter on hers and a slice of blue cheese on mine. It was browned and roasted in the restaurant method. We also had a half of a Brule, and sliced basket rippened Brandywines. Washed it down with a 2005 Tobin James, James Gang Reserve, Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah. Burp!!!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 am

I prepared this recipe last night to accompany a smoked chicken. I acutally fried the potatoes in the oven set at 475 degrees. The cast iron skillet browns the potatoes much better than a non stick skillet. You can vary the number of potatoes to accomodate the size of your skillet.

Drew

FRIED SMASHED POTATOES WITH LEMONS

Ingredients
Potatoes:
• 6 to 8 medium red skinned potatoes
• 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra as needed
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved

Dressing:
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
• The zest from the lemon
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Put the potatoes in a stockpot with enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry, use paper towels if necessary.
In a large cast iron skillet, drizzle and heat just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. Add the potatoes and using the palm of your hand, bottom of a cup etc., gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 10 minutes.
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest.
Spoon the dressing over the potatoes until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and serve.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:04 pm

I made a version of Carrie's lamb shanks with butter, and anchovies, using red wine and beef broth. I used whole anchovy filets, smashing them into melting butter in the pan. The shanks were fabulous and the broth even thickened during the cooking process. I was wondering if the anchovies helped thicken the sauce?

Beef Shank scallop sweet potatoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I made a version of Carrie's lamb shanks with butter, and anchovies, using red wine and beef broth. I used whole anchovy filets, smashing them into melting butter in the pan. The shanks were fabulous and the broth even thickened during the cooking process. I was wondering if the anchovies helped thicken the sauce?

Karen, it looks delicious. Amazing actually, but I can't take credit. I believe it was Christina Georgina's recipe.
On a side note, the scalloped sweet potatoes look like a wonderful accompaniment. Yum. Wish Len liked sweet potatoes.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:45 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I made a version of Carrie's lamb shanks with butter, and anchovies, using red wine and beef broth. I used whole anchovy filets, smashing them into melting butter in the pan. The shanks were fabulous and the broth even thickened during the cooking process. I was wondering if the anchovies helped thicken the sauce?

Karen, it looks delicious. Amazing actually, but I can't take credit. I believe it was Christina Georgina's recipe.
On a side note, the scalloped sweet potatoes look like a wonderful accompaniment. Yum. Wish Len liked sweet potatoes.

Sorry Carrie, I think it was Christina's, very different lamb shank recipe than the normal with all the veggies.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Rubbed, roasted (1 1/2 hrs) and dipped country ribs; family recipe buttermilk biscuits, 2d to last sliced Brandywine tomatoes.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Carl, I want YOUR dinner!

Here at Chez J, it's diet food: grilled skinless chicken breasts soaked in hot chinese chile oil, soy sauce, garlic and ten spice powder plus a green salad.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Drew Hall wrote:I prepared this recipe last night to accompany a smoked chicken. I acutally fried the potatoes in the oven set at 475 degrees. The cast iron skillet browns the potatoes much better than a non stick skillet. You can vary the number of potatoes to accomodate the size of your skillet.

Drew

Ingredients
Potatoes:

Dressing:
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon
Directions
Put the potatoes in a stockpot with enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to dry, use paper towels if necessary.
In a large cast iron skillet, drizzle and heat just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly brown, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard. Add the potatoes and using the palm of your hand, bottom of a cup etc., gently press the potatoes until lightly smashed and cook, without stirring, until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Using a spatula, turn the potatoes over and cook, drizzling with oil, if needed, until golden brown on the other side for another 5 to 10 minutes.
For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest.
Spoon the dressing over the potatoes until coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Love those smashed potatoes! We call 'em splats. But I've never done them with a dressing--yours looks killer, Drew.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Drew Hall wrote:I prepared this recipe last night to accompany a smoked chicken. I acutally fried the potatoes in the oven set at 475 degrees. The cast iron skillet browns the potatoes much better than a non stick skillet. You can vary the number of potatoes to accomodate the size of your skillet.

Drew

Ingredients
Potatoes:

Dressing:
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Juice of 1 fresh lemon
Directions

Love those smashed potatoes! We call 'em splats. But I've never done them with a dressing--yours looks killer, Drew.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Very cold and rainy night, so I made Beef Bourguignon this morning, with thick slices of shallots, carrots, whole garlic cloves, and thick mushroom slices. Lots of red wine, home made beef broth, with some nice crusty bread. Yum!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 am

Last night, it was a couple of wild ducks a friend provided, soaked in a wine-soy sauce marinade, and roasted. Very tasty!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jen J

Rank

Just got here

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 pm

by Jen J » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Planning to cook filet mignon with a mixed green salad and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum! I haven't decided on red wine yet.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Jen J wrote:Planning to cook filet mignon with a mixed green salad and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum! I haven't decided on red wine yet.

Sounds great Jen and welcome to the forum! How do you do your garlic mashed potatoes? I just read an article/recipe in Bon Appetit I think that said to put whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when boiling them and then just mash them all together. Just wondering.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jen J wrote:Planning to cook filet mignon with a mixed green salad and garlic mashed potatoes. Yum! I haven't decided on red wine yet.

Sounds great Jen and welcome to the forum! How do you do your garlic mashed potatoes? I just read an article/recipe in Bon Appetit I think that said to put whole cloves of garlic in with the potatoes when boiling them and then just mash them all together. Just wondering.

Not Jen, but wanted to say that I roast a whole head of garlic when I"m going to make garlic mashed potatoes. I sprinkle olive oil, salt and pepper over first. I usually have a head of roasted garlic in my fridge, especially in winter, because I can squeeze out that golden goodness into so many dishes during the week.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Dinner tonight is the famous 2 hour baked potato with truffle butter, slices of round zucchini, and whole sweet peppers, with an olive oil, fresh lemon juice marinade, sauteed until caramelized, and slices of fresh tomatoes, with basil, macadamia nut, lemon pesto. Yes, there are still tomatoes in Redding.The growers are still bringing them in, but I think in the next two weeks we will not see anymore. We are starting to get frost and snow in the higher elevations.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Bob had a colonoscopy today, so after two days of nothing but clear liquid he wants STEAK. I'll serve it "Mexican"--with an avocado-garlic-oregano compound butter and some vegetables stir fried with cumin seed.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Garlic and onion stuffed meatballs over marinara sauced linguine tonight.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Bob had a colonoscopy today, so after two days of nothing but clear liquid he wants STEAK. I'll serve it "Mexican"--with an avocado-garlic-oregano compound butter and some vegetables stir fried with cumin seed.

What? You mean he doesn't like jello??
PreviousNext