Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm making another Gratin of Swiss Chard and Mushroom because the chard is so good right now. Besides the mushrooms, this one has shallots, Spanish Thyme, Mignonette Pepper, half and half, nutmeg, Gruyère cheese and is finished off with preserved chopped lemon. Spanish rice with sautéed banana peppers , garlic and green onion, and lightly breaded Talipia fillets.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Barr Farm Kentucky beef shoulder roast braised with onions, garlic and green peppers in fresh tomato sauce, an Italian-style pot roast that makes its own "gravy" for spaghetti.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Barr Farm Kentucky beef shoulder roast braised with onions, garlic and green peppers in fresh tomato sauce, an Italian-style pot roast that makes its own "gravy" for spaghetti.

Robin, would you mind posting your recipe for this? I've never cooked with beef shoulder and I love to braise. We had an Italian dinner with friends years ago, and the lady of the house cooked a roast all day in some sort of red sauce. It was all served over pasta. I don't recall many details but I remember how the house smelled when we walked in and how wonderful the dinner was. Plus, my neighbor just brought over a sack of green and red peppers. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Barr Farm Kentucky beef shoulder roast braised with onions, garlic and green peppers in fresh tomato sauce, an Italian-style pot roast that makes its own "gravy" for spaghetti.

Robin, would you mind posting your recipe for this?

Well, i fairness, Karen, Mary cooked it while I was working on a project. :D But I advised her on the procedure, which is very, very simple, a simple version of a remembered recipe from the old Craig Claiborne NY Times Cookbook. Basically, in a black iron dutch oven or similar vessel, brown a chunk of shoulder or rump with onions and garlic and some cut-up green pepper until it's all nicely browned and smells great. Then you put in enough tomato sauce plus a little water (and S&P) to come about halfway up the side of the meat. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for a couple of hours, stirring and turning the meat occasionally. Remove and slice the beef. Serve the sauce over pasta. Build a salad, and dinner's on.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Robin, I had never heard of a beef shoulder before, so today I went to our local meat market and asked about it. I was told it was a cross-rib roast. So I bought this beautiful cross-rib which I am familiar with but have never used for braising. I've always used a rub, and roasted in the oven to serve as a roast. Then I make french dip sandwiches the next day. Will the cross-rib work? I have used rump roasts for cooking is sauces before. Did I get the wrong information?
Well, I just found this link, so I guess my question is answered.
http://www.themeatsource.com/crossribroast.html
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

What's cooking at this moment is bacon. Glorious bacon. Lots and lots and then even more of glorious bacon, some of it being devoured as it comes from the skillet, the rest to be used quite soon in peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

Hedonists of the world, unite!!!!

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Wow Daniel, is this for you? I can't imagine bacon and peanut butter, although I love them both, the combination just doesn't seem right. I love bacon, tomato and lettuce sandwiches on toasted wheat bread. The fatty bacon just seems to go so well with the healthier tomatoes and lettuce. :)
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Karen, Hi.....

All I can say is that peanut butter (smooth, not crunchy) and bacon sandwiches are one of humankind's greatest blessings.
Almost as good as .....

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Turkey club sandwiches and chips. Washed down with ale.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Robin, I had never heard of a beef shoulder before, so today I went to our local meat market and asked about it. I was told it was a cross-rib roast. So I bought this beautiful cross-rib which I am familiar with but have never used for braising. I've always used a rub, and roasted in the oven to serve as a roast. Then I make french dip sandwiches the next day. Will the cross-rib work? I have used rump roasts for cooking is sauces before. Did I get the wrong information?
Well, I just found this link, so I guess my question is answered.
http://www.themeatsource.com/crossribroast.html

Karen, you're way ahead of me! All I know is that we're in an organic/free-range/certified humane meat CSA from a really nice local farm (Adam Barr), and it was in the package that Mary ordered this month. It looked sort of like a really big round steak, but from the front end of the animal rather than the back end, I guess. It was obviously more like a braising cut, but the point is, I'm sure any braising cut would work in this dish. You just wouldn't want to use something like a T-bone or Porterhouse or strip or tenderloin that would be better as a quick-seared steak.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 am

That's right and I do know the difference.....I was not familiar to "beef shoulder" as it is a name not familiar to this area. I found out the cross rib is actually a term used in Canada, but we also know use it on the west coast. The meat cutter also said it is called shoulder clod. Whatever, it is going into my Dutch oven this morning with a bunch of wonderful garden peppers and my home made tomato sauce. Can't wait...I not only love eating and smelling braised meats, I love the prep. :) Thanks for sharing this, I know it is going to be fantstic. Plus, this is the week our weather changes, no more hot days and that makes me happy, too!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:37 pm

It's a "roasting" night tonight. I just put two bone-in, skin-on, organic free-range (enough adjectives there?) chicken breasts in the oven atop sliced sweet onion, smashed garlic cloves and some Meyer lemon slices. Roasting in a pan below those are big chunks of carrot, butternut squash, and some new (to me) potatoes called "Buttercream."
We'll have a bottle Carmel Road, a very reasonably priced, but very good Pinot Noir we recently discovered.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Jenise wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:Thai Mahogany Fire Noodles. The dish is a stir-fry of a pound of chicken cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks and a pound of fresh rice noodles (the thick, round ones). The fire comes from 30 Thai bird chiles

30? Whew. I love heat, but I'm sure 30 is far above my limit..

Yes--thirty red Thai bird-eye chiles.
Over a decade ago, there was a wonderful Thai restaurant in my home town, Merrimack New Hampshire. The proprietress was a delightful woman named Mowl Wolfe, who grew up in a village near Bangkok. The dishes on her menu were rated zero to three flames. Only two items on the menu rated three flames. I was a regular customer, and Mowl knew that I wanted to taste true Thai dishes, as they'd be served in Thailand, without any compromises for Western tastes.

So eventually I tried the larb nur (beef salad), which was one of the three-flame dishes, and per my wishes, Mowl Wolfe prepared it as she would for a Thai customer. It was wicked hot. After a few mouthfuls, I was gasping for breath, red-faced, tears running from my eyes, sweat breaking on my brow and running down my face. Mowl then told me that in her village, the women gathered daily at noon under the shade of a tree in the village center. On the table was a bowl of Thai bird-eye chiles. The women drank beer and ate the chiles as though they were potato chips.

One of the cooks at Bangkok Oriental Cuisine at this time was Muoi Khuntilanont, the wife of Colonel Ian Philphott, an employee of Digital Equipment Corporation, and stationed in their Nashua NH plant (where I worked at the time). Muoi K. was responsible for several of the recipes at Bangkok Oriental Cuisine, and I recently made her recipe for larb kai (chicken), and that again brought the gasping for breath and tears streaming down the cheeks due to its fiery nature.

Mahogany Fire Noodles is on a par with these two renditions of larb that I've had the pleasure/ecstasy of eating.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:What's cooking at this moment is bacon. Glorious bacon. Lots and lots and then even more of glorious bacon, some of it being devoured as it comes from the skillet, the rest to be used quite soon in peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.

Before the last fresh figs are gone...wrap them in bacon and grill them. Yum Yum!
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 am

Enjoying the last of grilling season (more due to early sundown than cold weather) - grilled trout stuffed with lovage, parboiled brussel sprouts soaked in garlic and marjoram then finished on the grill, tomatoed rice. Nice with aged Gruner.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:53 pm

Since my semi-retirement last year, I've picked up the mantle in the kitchen. Much to my suprise, I find it enjoyable.

Friday usually is pizza night. All fresh, from scratch. Served on the kitchen island with a cabernet, chianti, or occasionally a merlot. Cool jazz softly playing, a golden retriever begging for a piece of crust, and good conversation with my beautiful wife.

...Or i could make quiche.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:21 am

I butterflied 2 pork tenderloins and pounded them a little until they were both approx. 1/4" thick and rectangular. I prepared a small dice of fuji apple and onion and sauted with a little butter, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Let it cool and add some crumbled feta cheese and spread the mixture on the tenderloins and roll up like a jelly roll. Secure with butcher's twine and tonight we'll smoke these on my big green egg. I'll post finished pics tomorrow.

IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Drew Hall on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

by Ron C » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Wifey didn't want pizza tonight, so smoked salmon quiche it was.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Ron C wrote:Wifey didn't want pizza tonight, so smoked salmon quiche it was.

Not the most wine friendly dish. Especially those merlots you were talking about earlier. What did you end up serving with it?

(Don't get me wrong, I've had wine with smoked salmon and with quiche all the time. Just not merlot.)
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

by Ron C » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Ron C wrote:Wifey didn't want pizza tonight, so smoked salmon quiche it was.

Not the most wine friendly dish. Especially those merlots you were talking about earlier. What did you end up serving with it?

(Don't get me wrong, I've had wine with smoked salmon and with quiche all the time. Just not merlot.)

No merlot. White bordeaux.

We've found quite a few dry French white wines that go well with this dish. Wife likes a couple of the California pinot grigios, but I think they're a bit fruity for quiche. It's mostly a matter of deciding what we're in the mood for.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Tonight's dinner was Chinese red-cooked chicken (I also threw one full, 8-clove, piece of star anise in), served with rice and a salad of Boston lettuce. Addictive perfection!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Ron C wrote:White bordeaux.

Nice call.

I don't drink much white Bordeaux so I don't think of it. But I can see that matching very well and being crisp enough to not overpower the quiche but also flavorful enough to stand up to the smoked salmon.

Maybe one day I'll add that into my own repertoire.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:51 am

Baked cavatappi with ragu made from leftover short ribs. Yummers.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:04 pm

We just got back from a weekend up in Bangor. On the way up Friday we stopped a Ted's Fried Clams and Bev had a haddock basket and I had a shrimp roll. That night we went to Captain Nick's in Bangor where Bav had a bowl of mussels and salad, and I had a "Mini Seafood Dinner" consisting of fish chower and an overstuffed lobster roll. On Satuday we had a so-so conference lunch, and a nice dinner at the Ground Round next to our motel; we decided to have some meat, so Bev had a Buffalo Chicken salad, and I have a half rack of Baby Backs. On the way home today we stopped at Ted's again (they are closing for the season next Sunday). We split a pint of Maine Shrimp, a pint of fries, and a large cole slaw. It's good to be home. Incidentally breakfast at the Ho-Jo's both mornings was also so-so.
PreviousNext