Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's cooking?

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Speaking of that yam dish... I used Pink Lady apples, from New Zealand, mixed with the yams, cashews, butter, sugar, etc. That's one mighty tough (and big) apple! Peeling it was like peeling a bowling ball. It did not turn into mush, either, which is good.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Fresh cod baked with a parmesan crust and whole grain penne and brocolli al olio. Smells really good.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Okra gumbo! With some locavore beef "bratwurst" added as a not-too-offbeat alternative to andouille.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Left over pot roast!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Marcella Hazan's filetti farci di pesce turchino (oven-roasted bluefish stuffed with anchovies, garlic, capers, parsley, breadcrumbs and Parmigiano), and a Columbia Valley Revelry Chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:45 pm

A local butcher shop makes up a good bread stuffing for pork chops. I stopped after work for two chops, stuffed. Just came out of the oven.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 pm

We have kind of a citrus-y thing going on here tonight. A whole, split chicken that marinated since yesterday with fresh garlic and meyer lemons is on the grill right now. We'll have it with a romaine salad with blood oranges, sweet onion, English cuke and Champaigne vinaigrette and some local corn on the cob.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:01 pm

Last night featured my first-ever foray into paella. Results were mixed. First issues was that the recipe I used (supposedly for 4 - 6 people) overwhelmed my pan by the time most of the stuff was in there, so the mussels were cooked separately and the halibut never made it in at all. Second issue was timing. I put the shrimp in when the recipe indicated but they overcooked significantly by the time the rice was ready. Otherwise, though, it was excellent. Not bad for a first effort.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Simple, quick omelets with free-range eggs, pastured local ham and, erm, Kraft sharp cheddar. 8)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:11 am

The third, and final, turkey dinner. Which were, in order: the original roast, Tetrazzini, soup. (I think there was one extra bowl of a different turkey soup in there, too.)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 am

Thai stir-fried chicken with chiles and holy basil (pad prik kai bai grapaow). served with jasmine rice and salad.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The third, and final, turkey dinner. Which were, in order: the original roast, Tetrazzini, soup. (I think there was one extra bowl of a different turkey soup in there, too.)

I must've missed something. Are you guys celebrating Thanksgiving early or something?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The third, and final, turkey dinner. Which were, in order: the original roast, Tetrazzini, soup. (I think there was one extra bowl of a different turkey soup in there, too.)

I must've missed something. Are you guys celebrating Thanksgiving early or something?

Just practicing...!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Carrie L. wrote:

Don't knock it Carrie. Whenever our kids invite themselves over to celebrate an occasion for moi such as Father's day or birthday. I put a turkey in the smoker and forget it for five hours (no prep except for soaking chips), and let them bring the rest. Works great.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:52 pm

Tonight we had arancini made with leftover paella.

And Kraft Mac'n'Cheese with chorizo and peas. What can I say?

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 am

Apple pie is in the oven.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 pm

I've got 2# of ground bison that's soon to become 4 pan-seared burgers to feed us and the boys.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:26 am

Carl Eppig wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:

Don't knock it Carrie. Whenever our kids invite themselves over to celebrate an occasion for moi such as Father's day or birthday. I put a turkey in the smoker and forget it for five hours (no prep except for soaking chips), and let them bring the rest. Works great.

Oh, I wouldn't ever knock it. We love turkey here. I usually make one during the summer-time too, as it's Len's favorite dinner of all time. I guess I just didn't know other people did that. :)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 am

Last night it was Lemon Pasta with Roasted Shrimp, Summer Gold salad with basil, and Chateau el la Ragotiere Muscadet Sevre et Maine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:56 pm

We loaded up at our nearest farmers' market this morning, and are enjoying the results of that trip tonight. Pan-sear and oven-finish a Dreamcatcher Farm pork chop. Blanch, then saute fresh collard greens in olive oil with garlic, Italian-style.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I was going to grill a pork tenderloin, but the ever-changing schedule around here wrecked that idea. With little time to cook, I threw together some quesadillas made with duck confit, caramelized onions, and a little sharp cheddar. They came out very nicely (although next time I'll go for gruyere).

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I was going to grill a pork tenderloin, but the ever-changing schedule around here wrecked that idea. With little time to cook, I threw together some quesadillas made with duck confit, caramelized onions, and a little sharp cheddar. They came out very nicely (although next time I'll go for gruyere).

Or maybe Monterey Jack? Just thinking the gruyere might be a bit sweet whereas the onions are too--though maybe that's actually the accent you want.

Meanwhile, I have a pot of albondigas soup on the stove to take to a rather novel pot luck party: all soup! That is, all the guests bring a crock pot of soup as well as a muffin tin to use as a six-at-a-time-sampler soup(s) bowl.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Jenise wrote:That is, all the guests bring a crock pot of soup as well as a muffin tin to use as a six-at-a-time-sampler soup(s) bowl.

What a fun notion!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:That is, all the guests bring a crock pot of soup as well as a muffin tin to use as a six-at-a-time-sampler soup(s) bowl.

What a fun notion!

To be honest, I thought it was a bit strange when I first heard about it but I've warmed to the idea (pun intended). I'll let y'all know how it goes!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
PreviousNext