Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's cooking?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:21 pm

A  summer salad of black beans, corn, tomatoes and avocado with kale rubbed with olive oil until it turns lettuce-tender, dressed with a dash of Mexican spice. 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Tonight is a big salad with browned and seasoned Bison, kidney beans, black olives, lots of different tomatoes, garlic, onion, two types of cheese, several types of lettuce, and a spicy vinaigrette type dressing. Frito's corn chips are tossed on top. I also throw in some of my sweet, pickled banana peppers.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm

This past Sunday, normally my 'do some big cooking so we have good leftovers during the week' day, we had Father's Day instead. I did not stay in my kitchen as we had a family gathering at my brother's house. He was going to grill up some burgers and dogs.

Sensing an opportunity, I brought an aged Angus porterhouse along with me. He cooked it for me (a little under-cooked, naturally) and I will re-heat/slice it up tonight.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Thai Panang-style curry made with green beans and carrots. 

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 pm

So here it is the end of June and we are getting a cold spell with thunder storms moving in. So, I checked the freezer and had 2 lbs of stew meat that needed cooking. I floured and seasoned the cubes, browned well, sautéed onions, garlic; then cut up baby Yukon Golds, young carrots, celery, threw it all into the crock pot. I deglazed my pan with red wine from last night, threw in bay leaves, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, home made beef broth, and a small amount of tomato paste sitting in the freezer. Later this afternoon I will do a taste taste and adjust what is needed, maybe a bit of balsamic and fresh parsley will be added. I picked some tomatoes from the garden this morning and will share my bounty in a simple green salad.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Cabbage, onion and tomato green-lentil dal, spicy and aromatic. 

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:57 am

Honest to God, Robin, I eat pretty well, but you make me jealous 5-7 times a week.

Thanks for the standard of comparison!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 am

I don't know that my dishes are all that special, Frank. I just take good pictures. ;) It also seems to me that a lot of veggie entrees tend to be chopped and brown, not as photogenic as, say, a big roast turkey or a pig with an apple in its mouth.

It's been an interesting experiment, though, looking back over just about one year of vegetable-based cooking, which I viewed as sort of a challenge to see if I'd run out of interesting main-dish ideas, collapse from protein deprivation or tire of the process due to boredom or inadequate wine matches. Somewhat to my surprise, none of those things has happened. Among lessons learned: Use lots of onions, more than you think necessary. Build in bold flavors, not just hot and spicy but all forms of aromatic. Pay more attention to texture, and contrasting textures in every dish. Look around the world, but especially to Asia, for good ideas. Brown things: As Yaniger used to teach us, "the Maillard Reaction is your friend." And never underestimate the facility of good wine to go better with more things than you ever realized.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:A  summer salad of black beans, corn, tomatoes and avocado with kale rubbed with olive oil until it turns lettuce-tender, dressed with a dash of Mexican spice.

Robin, can you explain the process of rubbing kale with OO until it turns tender?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Drew Hall wrote:Robin, can you explain the process of rubbing kale with OO until it turns tender?

Sure, Drew! Actually, you pretty much just did. :lol: It's something we discovered in a fairly recent NY Times food article.

Basically, just pull the stems off the kale and discard, tear the leaves into bite-size bits, then literally "massage" them with a little olive oil or, if you like, oil and lemon. You don't need too much. I have no idea how this works, but they turn bright green and their texture magically changes from papery to something much more edible, almost like a soft, buttery lettuce but with more guts. At that point, put it in salad or, after you've tried it, you'll be able to come up with a gazillion uses for it. And since it's not cooked, it hangs on to all its nutrients.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Cabbage, onion and tomato green-lentil dal, spicy and aromatic. 

Something I find a bit curious: vegetarian food tends to uniformly shift toward Indian and Asian spices. I see that in restaurants and I'm seeing it in the dishes you're making. Yet going French for all the herbs or even Mexican for a different suite of spices would be just as valid. Why doesn't there tend to be more variety similar to the kind of variety you enjoyed when you were omnivorous?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Drew Hall wrote:Robin, can you explain the process of rubbing kale with OO until it turns tender?

Sure, Drew! Actually, you pretty much just did. :lol: It's something we discovered in a fairly recent NY Times food article.

Basically, just pull the stems off the kale and discard, tear the leaves into bite-size bits, then literally "massage" them with a little olive oil or, if you like, oil and lemon. You don't need too much. I have no idea how this works, but they turn bright green and their texture magically changes from papery to something much more edible, almost like a soft, buttery lettuce but with more guts. At that point, put it in salad or, after you've tried it, you'll be able to come up with a gazillion uses for it. And since it's not cooked, it hangs on to all its nutrients.

I didn't learn this from the NY Times but touted the same results of olive oil and raw kale in combination in this recipe a few months ago:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41582&p=341006&hilit=+kale+salad#p341006

Essentially, the acids in the olive oil 'cook' or break-down something in the kale, but it happens fairly quickly with marination and 'rubbing' isn't neccessary at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Something I find a bit curious: vegetarian food tends to uniformly shift toward Indian and Asian spices. I see that in restaurants and I'm seeing it in the dishes you're making.

I'm not sure I follow this premise as I don't know what is uniform about Robin!

But, one explanation for the prevalence of Asian spices could be that many of those countries have a longer history of Proud Vegetarian Cuisine. As opposed to in Western countries where vegetarian cuisine was for poor people who could not afford meat. And tofu is obviously an East Asian creation, so lots of inspiration from there.

Another may be that when vegetarian restaurants are 'alternative' they are more likely to look far abroad for inspiration in flavors.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Cut cauliflower florets into thick slices, toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at high heat, and they taste great. Add new potatoes and small sweet onions to the mix, and it's amazing. 

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Tonight was the first pizza of the season with tomatoes from the farmer's market. I must admit I flinched a bit when their $4/lb price was calculated at the market earlier in the day. But tonight in the tomato sauce they were absolutely divine and reminded us what we had been missing all these months. The pizza was also topped with first yellow squash from the market, basil, and taleggio.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:02 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jenise wrote:Something I find a bit curious: vegetarian food tends to uniformly shift toward Indian and Asian spices. I see that in restaurants and I'm seeing it in the dishes you're making.

I'm not sure I follow this premise as I don't know what is uniform about Robin!

But, one explanation for the prevalence of Asian spices could be that many of those countries have a longer history of Proud Vegetarian Cuisine. As opposed to in Western countries where vegetarian cuisine was for poor people who could not afford meat. And tofu is obviously an East Asian creation, so lots of inspiration from there.

Another may be that when vegetarian restaurants are 'alternative' they are more likely to look far abroad for inspiration in flavors.

Oops, I missed this yesterday and am heading out this morning. I don't want to give it short shrift, and I don't really know the answer for sure, only that I'm following this adventure to see where it takes me. :) I think Rahsaan is on target, though, in that much of Asia - and India in particular - has had a long history of evolving delicious vegetable-based cuisine, and culinary ideas worth emulating.

Simply taking meat out of a Western diet would leave a fairly boring range of options, in my opinion. I'm not interested in subsisting on side dishes. But when I look for meatless main dishes I tend to find them across Asia, from the Middle East to India, Southeast Asia, China and East Asia. They've been fashioning interesting, colorful and exciting meatless dishes for a long time, and when I want to fashion a vegetable-based main course, I instinctively tend to turn in that direction for inspiration.

At the same time, no, I'm not "uniform," and I'm also more than glad to chow down on spaghetti with tomato sauce, congris, red beans and rice, polenta with cheese ... and we haven't even gotten into the whole realm of plant-based protein alternatives from the ancient (tofu, tempeh) to the modern (Gardein or Quorn), all of which are interesting to investigate, although again, when I just want a hearty, meatless comfort meal that doesn't take long to prepare, I'm very likely to look at something Indian first.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Not Asian. :lol: A hearty meatless pasta inspired by spaghetti all’Amatricia, made with fresh local tomatoes, lots of garlic and Pecorino Romano, black and red pepper, and browned onions filling in for the traditional guanciale.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Another may be that when vegetarian restaurants are 'alternative' they are more likely to look far abroad for inspiration in flavors...Simply taking meat out of a Western diet would leave a fairly boring range of options, in my opinion. I'm not interested in subsisting on side dishes.

Boy would a lot of great chefs take you to task for suggesting that applying European flavors to vegetables is tantamount just making a bunch of side dishes. Maybe you just never had a strong enough foot in those doors? Just comparing myself to you, Europe IS my wheelhouse and if I decided to live without meat, I'd not only not leave behind my precious Herbs d'Provence, to name a favorite herb blend, I'd probably turn to it all the more.

when I just want a hearty, meatless comfort meal that doesn't take long to prepare, I'm very likely to look at something Indian first.

That's what I've observed. Nothing wrong with that; but considering your former diversity, I wouldn't have expected it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Boy would a lot of great chefs take you to task for suggesting that applying European flavors to vegetables is tantamount just making a bunch of side dishes. Maybe you just never had a strong enough foot in those doors? Just comparing myself to you, Europe IS my wheelhouse and if I decided to live without meat, I'd not only not leave behind my precious Herbs d'Provence, to name a favorite herb blend, I'd probably turn to it all the more.

Well ... I've spent a lot of time cooking (and eating) Continental dishes, but I'm not sure we're communicating 100 percent here. Of course European chefs do wonderful things with vegetables! Well, maybe all but the Brits. :mrgreen: But I would stand by my original intent, which was to say that vegetable-based main dishes aren't all that common at European restaurants. Sure, stuff like fettuccine alfredo or eggplant parm, but really those are primi anyway, not true main courses. IWhen I walk into a high-end eatery - or a bistro - in France or Italy (or a good French or Italian restaurant in the US), I just don't expect to find a wide variety of meatless entrees there. And I honestly don't think this is a lack of knowledge or experience on my part.

So, to clarify, are you disagreeing with my point as restated, that meat-free main dishes aren't common in European cuisine? Or saying something more like "European chefs can do great things with vegetables," a statement with which I would agree.

Again, I'm looking for interesting, filling and variable main courses - something different every day, year in and year out - and while I'm more than willing to look all around the world for inspiration, I would still argue that Asia in general and India in particular does that best.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Again not Asian: Spicy huevos chorizos with green chiles, using fresh local free-range eggs and Field Roast brand "chorizo," Mexican-style grain-based chipotle sausage. 

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Yet another dish that's not Asian. ;) Haricots verts in a Mornay made with Sapori d'Italia Kentucky Caciotta de Noce walnut cheese, garnished with chopped toasted walnuts. 

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm

OK, haricots verts, Sapore d'Italia, Kentucky

Robin, you get the Dr. Pangloss "Best of All Possible Worlds" trophy for June 27, 2012!

Congratulations!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

Frank Deis wrote:OK, haricots verts, Sapore d'Italia, Kentucky

Robin, you get the Dr. Pangloss "Best of All Possible Worlds" trophy for June 27, 2012!

Congratulations!

I was shooting for not-Asian. :lol:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Again, I'm looking for interesting, filling and variable main courses - something different every day, year in and year out - and while I'm more than willing to look all around the world for inspiration, I would still argue that Asia in general and India in particular does that best.

I agree with you Robin..not only with my home cooking when I want to go meatless and use up a plethora of vegetables, but certainly in American restaurants. While I never go to a restaurant for a meatless meal, I have had occasion to look for something meatless for a grandchild. or those times when I am cutting back on calorie intake. Outside of salads, there is little offered in which the description makes me want to eat it. Just this week, we took grandkids to Red Robin. This is a decent chain in Redding and happily caters to the wishes of the grandchildren, who are healthy eaters and only wanted pasta with marina and a bowl of mandarin oranges. I looked for what sounded good in the way of a vegetable dish, and found plain steamed vegetables. Ugh!

I too, turn to Asian and Indian references and even Mexican for ideas to make a vegetable dish more bold with flavors I love. Just recently I wanted a more healthful quesadilla. I chopped up a zucchini, tomatoes, onion, garlic, shredded a carrot, and sautéed a bit. Then added fresh basil, a little fresh Thyme, some fontina cheese. or was it Havarti.....and browned the quisadilla until golden. It was delicious! Of course, when you are really hungry, everything tastes so much better, don't you agree?
PreviousNext