Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's cooking?

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Yesterday's dinner was keema dal. The recipe used ground lamb, masoor dal, and southern-style seasonings: coriander, cumin, dried red chiles, fenugreek, curry leaves, asafoetida, shredded coconut, tamarind, coconut milk. Very aromatic and very delicious.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 pm

My head today is full of plans for tomorrow. The Chowhound dinner group we're part of meets and the theme is French. I'd initially volunteered foie gras stuffed mushrooms baked in puff pastry, and then ended up adding a vegetable terrine. The mushrooms were meant as a passed hors d'ouvre, but then it looked like two other people were bringing appetizers so I elevated the 'shrooms to something I'd serve with the vegetable terrine, which will now get topped with a duxelle layer in order to marry the two ideas on the one plate. The terrine will have layers of green beans, artichoke bottoms and carrots, plus a portion of the chicken mousseline (binder) will get blended with a watercress puree for the bottom layer. Should be colorful and delicious. The host is serving a chicken galantine for the main course.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Sichuan eggplant with onions and a bit of local Sour Power fresh sauerkraut filling in for Sichuan preserved vegetable. 

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Today, still in euphoria from last night's shrimp provencale, I'm all about shrimp. I've had it in the back of my mind for ten years to recreate the shrimp and grits I had at Magnolia in Charleston, South Carolina, and tonight's finally the night. Am making a shrimp paste per Edna Lewis' recipe to blend into the grits and create the basis for the flavors of what's going on top vs. just making plain grits, and will use a bit of hot Italian chicken sausage and a little bacon to give the sauce bold flavors. Report tomorrow!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Indonesian Style Vegetable Curry

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm

No cooking tonight: I just cut the top off a Rush Creek Reserve cheese, put out some plates of crackers, sliced apples, lavender honey, etc. and dug in.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Indonesian Style Vegetable Curry

I could eat that.

What makes it Indonesian, though?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:24 pm

It was cold last night, so I warmed up with some Thai mahogany fire noodles. Thirty red Thai bird chiles in the sauce--definitely hot enough to make a tiger cry.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Peanut butter, shallots, sambal, tomato, garlic, tofu. Along with the potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes. So, it was the idea of Indonesian.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Robin, when I go out for lunch with my Malaysian friend -- we go to a Malaysian restaurant and she's always saying "Oh, this is really Indonesian" or "this soup is made the way it's made in Ipoh" or "this curry is Singapore style."

I can't keep up with it all -- often it has to do with how much coconut milk is used in the dish or how hot the curry powder is, or does it contain shrimp paste.

I see Cynthia has answered -- hmm, I wonder if the peanut butter makes it more Indonesian??

At any rate you see those distinctions made a lot. She also knows which waiter is Indonesian and which one is from Kuala Lumpur. The languages are evidently similar but different.

PS -- it looks like in Indonesia they use more tofu than in Malaysia, as well as a lot more coconut milk and peanut sauce...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_cuisine
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Peanut butter, shallots, sambal, tomato, garlic, tofu. Along with the potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes. So, it was the idea of Indonesian.

Sort of pan-Southeast Asian then? In other words, if I made the same thing (and I might well have), I could have called it Thai style? Not picking at you, just seeking a definition here ... :lol:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sort of pan-Southeast Asian then? In other words, if I made the same thing (and I might well have), I could have called it Thai style? Not picking at you, just seeking a definition here ... :lol:

Yes, you could, but there is no Soap Weed in it. And I have found that Thai curries tend to have more liquid and thus be thinner than this one, which was quite thick.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Soap Weed

You mean Essence de Crayole? :lol:
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 am

Tonight was arugula salad with homemade ciabatta garlic toast, vegetarian onion soup (yes, I was originally a skeptic, but it's the best I've ever had, and I've had plenty!), and Boston cream pie.

The wine (with the onion soup) was 1964 Bodegas Palacio Rioja Glorioso Gran Reserva. One of the best wines I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 am

Getting caught up here -

Sunday night was a pork roast rolled up with mushrooms, shallots, and garlic and served with mashed potatoes. Also had a very yummy soup made with broccoli, mushrooms, and just a little cream.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Thai red curry for dinner last night, using homemade red curry paste from Muoi Khuntilanont's recipe (posted elsewhere in this forum).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Tonight was arugula salad with homemade ciabatta garlic toast, vegetarian onion soup (yes, I was originally a skeptic, but it's the best I've ever had, and I've had plenty!), and Boston cream pie. The wine (with the onion soup) was 1964 Bodegas Palacio Rioja Glorioso Gran Reserva. One of the best wines I've ever had.

Wines like that are a privilege to taste, aren't they? Glad you had that.

Tell us more about the vegetarian onion soup. The beef element in it is so integral to me, I'm impressed that you could plant

such a compliment on a non-beef version.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm

A quick omelet made with local free-range eggs and filled with browned onions and garlic. 

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:19 am

Seafood packets: Basically, a nouvelle-style Coquille St Jacques wrapped in phyllo and baked in the oven. (The recipe called itself nouvelle. I suppose the distinction was that it called for a chiffonade of spinach as a thickener instead of beurre manié or a roux.) I served it with a simple side of sauteed spinach.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 am

We bought big scallop shells back in the 70's because we both loved the classic Coquilles St Jacques so much. And we still make it occasionally. But the cholesterol is huge with all the cream etc. in that dish. It would be nice to try an alternative.

Today I bought a bunch of curly kale and then I borrowed a dehydrator from my tenants.

I made up a mixture including a bunch of Lan Chi sauce and tossed the leaves with it, and I will probably leave it in the dehydrator over night.

I ate a few of the kale leaves raw, nice and HOT. Will report in a different topic when I find out what they are like.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:49 am

Robin, your pictures are always very bright and clear with very good definition. What type of camera do you use?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Made the Caramelized Onion Tart from Once Upon a Tart today. I added a few tablespoons of black olive and truffle tapenade just to make it interetsing. Yum.

Caramelized Onion Tart.jpg

Caramelized Onion Tart1.jpg

A few days ago I made crescent cookies that has kept my family entertained, except my husband doesn't like the powdered sugar snowing all over his jacket when he eats them. :lol: My son doesn't seem to mind.

Crescent Cookies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Jo Ann-
Those look maaarrrvelous!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Drew Hall wrote:Robin, your pictures are always very bright and clear with very good definition. What type of camera do you use?

Drew, actually it's just the internal camera in my iPhone 4S, using the alternative Camera+ applet and sometimes additional tweaking with the Photo Forge applet on the iPad.

I do have a Nikon D100 DSLR, but it's generally overkill for food photography unless I'm shooting for print publication.
PreviousNext