Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's cooking?

by Jenise » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Now, does anyone have ideas for bringing a surplus of blueberries to the table? We don't want to make a dessert and don't really do big breakfasts (one idea is blueberry sauce for waffles but I'm hoping to get others).

A quinoa salad! Combine cooked quinoa with blueberries, chopped walnuts and small chunks of diced, roasted butternut squash and dress with oil, lemon juice, salt and fresh basil. At the last, stir in some blue cheese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Jenise wrote:A quinoa salad! Combine cooked quinoa with blueberries, chopped walnuts and small chunks of diced, roasted butternut squash and dress with oil, lemon juice, salt and fresh basil. At the last, stir in some blue cheese.

Thanks. Great idea. In essence, using the blueberries somewhat like how one would use raisins in such a dish. Although obviously 'fresher'.

We don't eat quinoa anymore after we discovered that my wife is allergic (apparently somewhat common and involving EXTREMELY painful stomach cramps that at one point sent her to the ER) but we eat tons of couscous, millet, barley, etc, etc. So this will get a shot soon.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Terri A wrote:Blueberry/lemon/garlic or blueberry/lemon/garlic/ginger as a sauce or jam to go with chicken or fish. I picked up a jar with heavy garlic in Maine a few years back at a roadside stand. The heavy garlic worked better with chicken, but with a lighter hand and some fresh ginger, I could see it working nicely with fish.

I can't quite visualize this in my mind's palate but I suppose it's somewhat similar in concept to the plum sauce I made. And I'm always game to try new stuff. Thanks!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Hell's bells, man. Fresh blueberries with sour cream. What kind of a Jew are you? :?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Fresh blueberries with sour cream. What kind of a Jew are you? :?

Believe me, there is no shortage of fresh blueberries (and other fruit) being eaten in this house. I'm somewhat of a fruit-eating maniac!

But this particular situation is beyond even my capacity for consumption. We were supposed to host a picnic today for a few neighborhood families but then our son came down with a fever last night and we had to cancel. Which leaves us with an insane amount of rapidly-perishing fruit and I'm not a big fan of freezing and I don't make jam. So my first thought was figuring out ways to slip the fruit into the meals. Looking forward to blueberry sauce and fish for tomorrow' lunch.
no avatar
User

Ron C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:17 pm

by Ron C » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Smoked salmon quiche tonight.
Yes, real men eat quiche. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I'm not a big fan of freezing

Why not?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:24 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Why not?

Diminished flavor and texture. But I'm slowly coming around to it. Practicality eventually wins out.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Why not?

Diminished flavor and texture. But I'm slowly coming around to it. Practicality eventually wins out.

A technique that helps: freeze the berries individually, on a cookie sheet in the freezer, and only put them in a bag when they are already solid.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 am

What Jeff said, plus don't wash the berries before freezing. Of course, it is a good idea to rinse them before eventual consumption.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Pork tenderloin is marinating in fresh rosemary, balsamic and apple cider vinegars, honey, garlic, fresh rosemary, evoo and will be grilled. Squash blossoms, to be dipped in a light tempura batter and quickly fried in evoo. I have both male and female flowers. Females have some of the baby squashes attached. Baby rainbow chard leaves to be cooked with fresh garlic, chicken stock. An heirloom tomato and kalamata olive salad with grilled bread, cut into chunks. Marjoram, sweet basil and a vinaigrette will dress the salad.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Redwinger wrote:What Jeff said, plus don't wash the berries before freezing. Of course, it is a good idea to rinse them before eventual consumption.
'Winger

I rinse my blueberries as soon as I get them home, lay out on paper towels to dry. I freeze them on large sheet trays, overnight, then put them into food saver bags in the morning. They freeze beautifully, are are ready for use all winter.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Macaroni Salad with fresh lemon, and sweet basil. A refreshing twist on an old favorite. A plate of heirloom tomatoes and garden cukes to round out the meal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Fresh steamed Dungeness crab--I hope. Today's opening day and I just put my traps out. We're pensive this year because a screwup on the part of the dadgumgummammint in the Fish & Wildlife contracts with the local Indian tribe which allowed them commercial access to our little fishery for the last week and some. Typically, they can't come in here until AFTER our little six week open is over. Have no idea if they left any crab for the rest of us. :(
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Macaroni Salad with fresh lemon, and sweet basil. A refreshing twist on an old favorite. A plate of heirloom tomatoes and garden cukes to round out the meal.

That looks good!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:18 pm

No photo today, I've been out all day and am about shot, but I used up another bumper harvest of okra by slicing it into rounds and sauteeing it with onions, gralic and red and green bell pepper julienne, peeled seeded and diced fresh tomatoes, S&P and red-pepper flakes and a few shots of interesting spices to give it a little more dimension. Served with brown basmati rice just because I heard Alton Brown mention it the other day and wanted to try some. Good stuff, nutty and appropriately chewy.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Tonight was a rotisserie chicken, roasted fingerling potatoes ( red, white, and purple) I semi peeled the potatoes, drenched them with olive oil, sprinkled with a mix of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Then I sprinkled with Penzey's cracked rosemary, and roasted in the oven for 40 min at 400F. chopped a half dozen carrots and parboiled them. Then I sauteed them in butter adding a teaspoon of sugar near the end of the sautee and just before taking them off the burner hit them with a hand full of chopped Tarragon from the garden. Major yum tonight!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Tonight was a rotisserie chicken, roasted fingerling potatoes ( red, white, and purple) I semi peeled the potatoes, drenched them with olive oil, sprinkled with a mix of seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Then I sprinkled with Penzey's cracked rosemary, and roasted in the oven for 40 min at 400F. chopped a half dozen carrots and parboiled them. Then I sauteed them in butter adding a teaspoon of sugar near the end of the sautee and just before taking them off the burner hit them with a hand full of chopped Tarragon from the garden. Major yum tonight!

Yum is right! Thanks for the inspiration!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:38 pm

You are very welcome Karen!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:25 pm

Grilled burgers, nuked zucchini, and Shipyard Blue Fin Stout.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Grilled burgers, nuked zucchini, and Shipyard Blue Fin Stout.

I could eat that.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Our day:

Morning: Grilled breakie sandwich for Bob (fried egg, chipotle sauce, and avocado on high fiber rye), cucumber salad for me. Blueberries we grew ourselves for me.

Lunch: Fresh spinach salad with sundried tomato vinaigrette and flakes of halibut that we smoked a few days ago standing in for the bacon. Divine! Fresh local spinach is one of the best treats of summer. It's so strong in flavor, yet so tender.

Dinner: Curry-cured filet mignon with roasted beets, turnips and carrots, after a green salad of Renee's baby lettuces with walnuts and a lemon dressing.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

Dinner: Curry-cured filet mignon with roasted beets, turnips and carrots, after a green salad of Renee's baby lettuces with walnuts and a lemon dressing.

Humm, I've "curry cured" salmon but never beef.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:

Humm, I've "curry cured" salmon but never beef.

I love curry-cured beef. My favorite cut is flank, but this time it was a way of rescuing a pair of filet mignon steaks that I got out of the freezer by accident. (I removed them looking for something else, then forgot to put them back.) I hadn't like the flavor of the tenderloin these steaks had come from--very livery. So faced with that, the curry-cure seemed a good way to mask what I didn't like. And it worked very well, and even better than anticipated, since the curing firmed up the soft texture somewhat. For me, a plus.
PreviousNext