Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chocolate and Wine Pairings?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Edmund Mokhtarian

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Los Angeles, Boston

Chocolate and Wine Pairings?

by Edmund Mokhtarian » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm really wondering what wines would be a good match for some gourmet dark chocolate bars. I love chocolate and wine, and I want to try pairing them together for some nice after-dinner relaxation. Any suggestions?
Edmund Mokhtarian
Food and Wine Blogger
http://www.thefoodbuster.com
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Chocolate and Wine Pairings?

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Basically, it's mostly the sweet stuff: port, sauternes (etc.), Maury, Banyuls.

Some dry reds work, esp. Cotes du Rhone.

Fizzy wines work.

However, even though I am a devoted wino, I'd prefer my chocolate with coffee or brandy.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Any tawny port.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Basically, it's mostly the sweet stuff: port, sauternes (etc.), Maury, Banyuls.

Some dry reds work, esp. Cotes du Rhone.

Fizzy wines work.

However, even though I am a devoted wino, I'd prefer my chocolate with coffee or brandy.

I'm with you, Jeff, but far better than Sauternes (which as a class leaves me cold for the most part) is Tokaji. A good 6 putts Tokaji pairs quite well with dark chocolate IMO.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Melissa Priestley

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:04 pm

Edmonton, AB, Canada

by Melissa Priestley » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

The absolute best pairing I've ever found with dark chocolate is the Pisano EtXe Oneko Licor de Tannat, which is made in Uruguay. It is absolutely killer - the Tannat makes for a dessert wine that's extremely tannic, rich and mouth-coating, just like dark chocolate. In fact it tastes like liquid chocolate. I hope you can find a bottle near you!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:52 pm

I'll echo Banyuls and its near-sibling Maury, both Grenache-based sweet reds from the French Pyrenees. The raspberry character of the Grenache makes an explosive combination with dark chocolate. Tawny Port, yes, good, too, although second to Banyuls for me. Sauternes with chocolate? I don't see that. Nor any dry wine I've ever tried. My opinions ... this particular pairing question is one of the most individually idiosyncratic there is.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I'm with you, Jeff, but far better than Sauternes (which as a class leaves me cold for the most part) is Tokaji. A good 6 putts Tokaji pairs quite well with dark chocolate IMO.

Agreed. I put the "(etc.)" in there to mean any sweet white but it could have been taken to just refer to the Bordeaux area wines (e.g., Monbazillac).
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:48 am

A good liqueur muscat.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'll echo Banyuls and its near-sibling Maury, both Grenache-based sweet reds from the French Pyrenees. The raspberry character of the Grenache makes an explosive combination with dark chocolate. Tawny Port, yes, good, too, although second to Banyuls for me. Sauternes with chocolate? I don't see that. Nor any dry wine I've ever tried. My opinions ... this particular pairing question is one of the most individually idiosyncratic there is.

Concur. The Maury would be our preference, but Banyuls is a good substitute.
no avatar
User

Edmund Mokhtarian

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Los Angeles, Boston

by Edmund Mokhtarian » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Melissa, I was wondering where I can pick up the Pisano EtXe Oneko Licor de Tannat. I'm actually quite the fan of Tannat, after tasting it in Uruguay, and though it's not my favorite grape, I'd really love to try out that liqueur. Do you know any reliable providers? That's the type of thing I might be willing to get shipped, since I can't seem to find it here.

And thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. So many to try now.
Edmund Mokhtarian
Food and Wine Blogger
http://www.thefoodbuster.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:43 am

Edmund Mokhtarian wrote:Melissa, I was wondering where I can pick up the Pisano EtXe Oneko Licor de Tannat. I'm actually quite the fan of Tannat, after tasting it in Uruguay, and though it's not my favorite grape, I'd really love to try out that liqueur. Do you know any reliable providers? That's the type of thing I might be willing to get shipped, since I can't seem to find it here.

And thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. So many to try now.

There is always a good supply here in Edmonton! $32 for half bottle, direct flight from LA too! Great match with chocolate mousse.
With Xmas fast approaching, think this tread (from the archive) will get some of us thinking when going to Auntie Mildred!
Have to agree with the Banyuls siggestion.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Edmund, what I am going to type isn't going to help much as you won't find it there, but maybe someday. Anyway, Chateau Grand Traverse used to make a cherry wine in a port a style that goes exceptionally well with dark semisweet chocolate. IMO it's a match made in heaven. I just looked at their web page http://www.cgtwines.com/wines_specialty.php and see only a cherry reserve and no port style. Maybe they don't make that now, or maybe they are just out of it right now. Call them at 1-800-283-0247.
Bob Henrick