Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nettle Soup Time!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Nettle Soup Time!

by Anders Källberg » Sun May 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Spring is here and with it comes the time to pick the small sprouts of stinging nettle and make a soup from it. This is a dish that really marks the arrival of spring for me.
Anyone interested in how to do it, could check in to the chat in about an hour and ask me! 8)

I'll try to remember to take a photo of it tomorrow and post it in Celia's thread
Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: Nettle Soup Time!

by JuliaB » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Had I only known, I would have tried harder to make it home in time for chat. :|

JB
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun May 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Anders, I watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, a UK tv personality, make nettle soup. And nettle beer! He also entered a raw nettle eating contest - far braver than most of us! The nettle soup looked wonderfully green and healthy - hope we get to see a photo!
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon May 03, 2010 2:13 am

JuliaB wrote:Had I only known, I would have tried harder to make it home in time for chat. :|

Well, "The early bird...", you know.
/A
no avatar
User

Susan B

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 pm

by Susan B » Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Celia wrote:Anders, I watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, a UK tv personality, make nettle soup. And nettle beer! He also entered a raw nettle eating contest - far braver than most of us! The nettle soup looked wonderfully green and healthy - hope we get to see a photo!

If you eat them leaf by leaf, folding the bottom of the leaf with the stingers to the inside, it is a refreshing bite while hiking. I don't know about a contest in which speed was involved though. Did you have more details on the contest?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Susan B wrote:
Celia wrote:Anders, I watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, a UK tv personality, make nettle soup. And nettle beer! He also entered a raw nettle eating contest - far braver than most of us! The nettle soup looked wonderfully green and healthy - hope we get to see a photo!

If you eat them leaf by leaf, folding the bottom of the leaf with the stingers to the inside, it is a refreshing bite while hiking. I don't know about a contest in which speed was involved though. Did you have more details on the contest?

And they don't sting your tongue when you chew? Considering what one will do to my finger, I can't imagine risking it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Celia wrote:Anders, ... The nettle soup looked wonderfully green and healthy - hope we get to see a photo!

Photo posted.
"Here's looking at you, kid!" 8)
/A