Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: CRAB STUFFED TROUT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

RCP: CRAB STUFFED TROUT

by Howie Hart » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 am

I made these on New Years Eve. I modified a recipe I downloaded. The original called for onion salt, garlic salt and lemon pepper and was for 6 trout.

CRAB STUFFED TROUT

8 trout, cleaned
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
5 scallions (green onions), chopped fine
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup bread crumbs
8 oz. crab meat (I used pasteurized Chesapeake Bay blue crab)
1 egg, beaten
Juice and zest from 1 lemon
4 tbsp. melted butter

Wash and dry fish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sweat garlic and scallions in olive oil. Mix beaten egg with crab meat, bread crumbs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add cooked garlic and scallions, and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into 8 portions, forming football shapes and stuff into each trout. Place on oiled baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees. Then broil 5-6 minutes until fish is tender and brown. No need to turn. Paired nicely with Riesling.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: RCP: CRAB STUFFED TROUT

by Dave R » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Howie,

That sounds tasty. What type of trout did you use? They must have been rather small based upon the quantity of the stuffing.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Dave R wrote:Howie,

That sounds tasty. What type of trout did you use? They must have been rather small based upon the quantity of the stuffing.
They were fresh rainbow trout I picked up at the local supermarket (Wegman's) and were quite large, actually. I would guess they were 10-11 inches. They were $5.99/lb. and when wrapped 2 in a package, each package was about $8.00. So, I guess that's about 12 oz. each. For the size of them I probably could have made more stuffing.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm

sounds good. the only problem i see is that it requires that you find BOTH really fresh trout (a lake fish) and really fresh crab (ocean stuff). i find it hard to get fresh seafood period; much less two disparate ones. when i go to either of the two really good fish places here - including a whole foods - i always ask what came in today. won't buy anything else. plus whatever it is must look good as well.
david creighton