Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hershey milk chocolate not legal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Hershey milk chocolate not legal

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:09 am

Hershey's has formulated several of its candies, removing the cocoa butter and replacing it with vegetable oil. As a result, Hershey can't legally call it milk chocolate any longer. Here's a link to one of the candies: http://consumerist.com/5034753/hersheys-kissables-no-longer-legally-considered-milk-chocolate
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Hershey milk chocolate not legal

by Ian Sutton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:25 pm

This may be provocative, but I'd tend to agree and find many of them taste distinctly odd and sickly. Sorry. :oops:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Tend to agree with what?
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:01 pm

The EU had a fight about this for over a quarter of a century. In the UK, Cadbury and other "milk chocolates" are 'way ahead of Hershey's and have contained other vegetable fats more or less forever. Apparently that was also the case in Ireland and Denmark, all three countries in 1973 got what they call an "opt-out" from EU regulations that normally allowed only cocoa butter, then spent 27 years trying to work it out. Finally in 2000, the EU caved and decided that it's OK for milk chocolate to contain other vegetable fats. If it's sold in the country of manufacture, it can be called just "milk chocolate". If it's exported, it must be labeled "family milk chocolate" or something like that. But candy labeled "chocolate" containing vegetable fat can legally be sold anywhere in Europe. Not so in the US, apparently.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:41 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Tend to agree with what?

With not calling it chocolate
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I think pretty much every European I've known has disliked Hershey's chocolate. I guess I can understand that - I can easily tell the difference between it and anything from England, Switzerland, Germany, etc. Having grown up with the stuff, I like it. Not as much as Lindt, Valrhona, Sharffen Berger, or a host of others, but a lot more than Cadbury's. I wonder if it's the vegetable oils that make Cadbury's unappealing to me? If so, I suppose I may not like Hershey's much anymore, either.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Cadbury's always feels like the major branded wines to me - soft flavoured, inoffensive, but ultimately unrewarding.

I have enjoyed some of the produce of continental chocolatiers who've experimented with herbs/spices, but amazing how many are unbalanced. With something like Rosemary for instance, a little goes a very long way. Chilli chocolate is often seriously over-strong and white chocolate doesn't seem a good starting point for such flavours. Fennel however is a herb that works very well for me in chocolate.

Favourite chocolate - Pierre Marcolini in Brussels - I heard him described as the enfant terrible of their chocolate scene which sounds like a fair compliment. Haven't had any for about 2 years though.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:27 pm

I have to be in a very childish mood -- or very desperate -- to eat Hershey's anymore. 99% of the time it is better to do without.

There are lots of good chocolatiers out there; it's hard to pick just one. My most recent purchase was Debauve & Gallais. I live near Jacques Torres. I am still sad that Richart has closed its NYC store. I enjoyed the Pralus Pyramide des Tropiques at Xmas time. (Oh, dear, I'm rambling....)
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I think pretty much every European I've known has disliked Hershey's chocolate. I guess I can understand that - I can easily tell the difference between it and anything from England, Switzerland, Germany, etc..

I don't think one has to be European to dislike Hersheys. All that is required are taste buds :D

Also, there is pleny of garbage chocolate in Europe, just check the low-grade supermarket milk chocolate aisle for evidence. Of course there is also real chocolate as well, and easier to find i n Europe. Things have gotten better in the US, but one must ignore the proliferation of pseudo high end 'dark' 'organic' 'fair-trade' 'single estate' etc etc chocolate in many US markets. Everything is always overdone and perverted. Or am I focusing too much on the negatives.