Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Red Currant Jam, anyone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Red Currant Jam, anyone?

by ScottD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Quite the process. I think I'd opt for jelly. I didn't see mention of price. Lots of photos.

The most expensive jam in the world is made in Bar-le-Duc from red currants hand-seeded with a goose quill.

What makes this product so special is that normally you can't make red currant jam without including an avalanche of unappetising seeds. Extracting the juice to make a jelly is a pretty straightforward business, but a jam contains the skin and flesh of the fruits - a very different animal. So, sometime in the 14th century, local monks had the idea of removing the seeds of red currants before making the jam. One by one, with a goose quill.

Dutriez grabs a couple of quills, cuts the tip with scissors and starts seeding his red currants. Each épépineuse likes to cut her quill in a different way, but the idea is to have a sharp tip and a sort of tube to grab the seeds and remove them, he explains.

Each jar contains 3oz (90gr) of the precious nectar. Dutriez produces 500 kilograms of jam a year (1000 pounds) - that's as much as the market will take.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Red Currant Jam, anyone?

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Hmmm. Quills, one at a time.... Sounds promising. Is it highly allocated? And better yet, mailing list only? I don't want high end products unless they're impossible to get ahold of. Just doesn't say anything about me if someone else can get some just for the asking. :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Sonoma County

by Leanne S » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Actually, I have a jar of the non-exclusive seeded variety. I actually bought it by mistake, thinking it was jelly that i could use to glaze a fresh fruit tart. But no, this is conserve, and it's pretty tart...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am

Interesting read. Thanks.