Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bisphenol A

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Bisphenol A

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 am

And your stand on BPA in hard plastic containers (#7) and linings in baby food containers, etc.?
Last edited by Larry Greenly on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bisphenol H

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:27 am

What a catchy thread title. You know I've been thinking for months now that someone needed to start a thread called Bisphenol H, glad you were THE ONE.

:)

I'm sorry, I'm being a brat. You know what, I don't know what to make of this. Especially if I decide against it, that means my new hard plastic Rubbermaid containers for storing leftovers etcetera that I just LOVE LOVE LOVE because they're the best thing EVER made by anyone ANYWHERE for storing leftovers in (the containers stack, the lids lock onto the bottoms an onto each other) and that I invested heavily in to replace my mishmash collection of other things just months before this became an issue, would have to go. Obviously, that would be most inconvenient.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 am

Flattery will get you everywhere.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 am

This ranks about #2,463,994 on my list of things to worry about. Lawyers, so-called consumer advocates, and ignorant reporters (redundancy, I know).

To paraphrase a bumper sticker, more people died in Teddy Kennedy's car than died from BPA in Nalgene bottles.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:00 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Flattery will get you everywhere.

Smooch!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:27 am

I'll defer to "Chemical Mark" on this issue.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 am

OK, first of all it's bisphenol A (aka BPA), the main building block of polycarbonate polymers, which are hard, clear plastics that are used in all sorts of applications. BPA is an endocrine disruptor, meaning that it mimics the behavior of a hormone in the human body, in this case estrogens. As such, children shouldn't be exposed to it any more than necessary. The problem is that it's used in making many common plastics, so unless you're going to ban plastics from your house, there's no practical way to eliminate it from your child's environment, but I'd probably avoid getting polycarbonate baby bottles which will be heated, as that's been shown to leach BPA into baby formula or milk. BPA also can leach from the epoxy resin used to line canned foods, so there's another reason not to eat too many (commercially) canned foods.

Adults really aren't at serious risk from BPA exposure and I wouldn't panic over it in any event. There are far more potent endocrine disruptors in our daily lives, so BPA is a relatively minor threat.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Bisphenol A

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am

Weird. I had Bisphenol A originally and for some reason changed it to Bisphenol H. It's now back to the original.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:43 pm

I say ban it. Civilization survived for millennia without BPA. It can do so again.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I say ban it. Civilization survived for millennia without BPA. It can do so again.

Can I get you to work on cel phones, too?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Anesthesia; we had millennia of excruciating surgery and got along just fine, people DIE from anesthetics, let's ban 'em, too. Antibiotics! People have died from those, too, let's ban 'em. Can't be too careful. How many people get electrocuted each year? And how many people get cancer, maybe from power lines? Ban it! Do we really need people to die so that we can have TV and wine forums?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Melamine's good, too. Three times as many babies have died from it so far as from Laura Bush's car.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Melamine's good, too. Three times as many babies have died from it so far as from Laura Bush's car.

Great comeback!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Stuart,

You are an engineer. You know how cost/benefit analysis works.

There are plenty of alternatives to BPA for food containers. Nobody dies or is injured if we stop using BPA. It is an entirely different situation from anaesthetics or antibiotics, as I'm sure you well know.

Please stop dragging Fox TV debating techniques into these discussions. I'm getting tired of it.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:56 pm

To bring some science into the debate, has anyone looked at this recent study, one of the first to find a noticeable effect in humans?
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/300/11/1303
They claim the 1455 participants were "adjusted for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, income, smoking, body mass index, waist circumference, and urinary creatinine concentration," and that higher BPA concentrations were strongly correlated with heart problems. I know, it's not like it's a prospective, double-blind study where we expose people to BPA and see if they croak, but it's still pretty scary. I don't need a Nalgene bottle, I can get something else, but I worry about the presence in canned food where the plastic is heated to the boiling point of water.

Walt

P.S. Tangent: Why is it unethical to run a study where you expose people to BPA to see what happens, but apparently ethical for the manufacturers of food containers to expose people to BPA and not bother to check what happens?
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:03 pm

wnissen wrote:P.S. Tangent: Why is it unethical to run a study where you expose people to BPA to see what happens, but apparently ethical for the manufacturers of food containers to expose people to BPA and not bother to check what happens?

Because one is Science while the other is Commerce. You know which is more important, don't you? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Why is it unethical to run a study where you expose people to BPA to see what happens, but apparently ethical for the manufacturers of food containers to expose people to BPA and not bother to check what happens?

Disagree strongly with the assumption. I've run products through FDA extractives protocols, and presumably so did the Nalgene manufacturers if the products are sold for food contact. Now if there's solid, repeatable, and properly scaled evidence that the FDA standards need to be changed, who can argue?

Paul, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't watch TV, I just know that "Fox" seems to be a pejorative. In my limited exposure, it seems to be not much different than the other screaming heads networks, though I did find one guy there (their house liberal, apparently) a pretty reasonable and intelligent guy, despite having very different politics than mine.

edit: I am not an engineer. Never had any coursework in it at all. I am moderately familiar with cost-benefit analysis.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:24 pm

I guess the system's working about as well as it can. BPA doesn't kill people in droves or anything like that. Whatever the effects are, they're subtle and hard to gauge and it will probably be many more years before we know with any certainty what's really going on. It was not unreasonable to use it in bottles, but now that it appears that there might be some potential for adverse health effects, we'll move on to something else. Sometimes these things take a long time to surface. Let's just hope it's not replaced with something worse.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Well, the problem is that if you want to ban BPA, you eliminate not just polycarbonates but also epoxy resins, polyesters and PVC (where BPA is used as a plasticizer). That removes a lot of the common polymers from everyday usage. Many of the other common polymers such as nylons, polyurethanes, polyethylene/polypropylene and polystyrene have very different physical properties that render them unsuitable for certain applications. Offhand, I am not sure what one would replace the epoxy resin lining of food cans with, as you need the combination of thermal stability and inertness to contact with food. I am sure that an alternative lining can be found, but it may not be easy.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Yeah - it will be interesting to see where it all goes from here.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 pm

[quote="Stuart Yaniger
Paul, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I don't watch TV, I just know that "Fox" seems to be a pejorative. In my limited exposure, it seems to be not much different than the other screaming heads networks, though I did find one guy there (their house liberal, apparently) a pretty reasonable and intelligent guy, despite having very different politics than mine. [/quote]

You're probably thinking of Juan Williams, who I think is the most reasonable one there (he can actually see shades of gray).
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:37 pm

That's the guy! Love the John Waters mustache.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:40 pm

He's my man.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:32 am

Stu,
The recent study, as reporting in the LA TImes earlier this week, evaluated people exposed to less than the FDA permitted concentration of BPA. The entire population of the study fell below the FDA standard.

They found that the upper quartile had twice the incidence of several diseases (such as diabetes and congestive heart failure) as the lower quartile. They also showed that blacks had about 50% higher concentrations than other ethnic/racial groups in the US, FWIW.

This was not a perfect study. They may not have properly corrected for other correlations that have nothing to do with BPA.

I have no need to eat or drink from containers made from #7 plastic, but I am not able to discern whether BPA is used in food products sold in Al cans. The article does say that Al soda cans are usually lined with BPA plastic film. I so rarely drink canned soda that I don't care about my exposure that way.

What I do care about is the potential exposure to my 7 year old daughter, and other children, who couldn't know better and whose parents may not or cannot know better.

There is clearly a culture among free-market advocates to always operate under the assumption that criticisms of products in the market are ideologically based. That the messangers of negative information about products must necessarily have an anti-corporate, anti-business, anti-capitalist agenda. This is a typical cognitive defense mechanism to avoid accepting challenges to ideologically ingrained thought patterns. Facts be damned. Cut the federal science budget when they deliver bad news. Or have political hacks rewrite the scientific reports to satisfy ideological expectations.

While I am not an alarmist, and I don't place BPA near the top of environmental problems, I do think the situation deserves more than a dismissive smirk. Let the scientists do the science and, as a precaution, advise parents to avoid giving their children certain products.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
Next