Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Rind Dilemma: when to eat it, when not?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Rind Dilemma: when to eat it, when not?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:30 pm

Are you ever confused about which rinds are edible? Sure, we all know the rind on a brie, say, to take a ubiquitous example, is often the best part, but what about those little artisanal cheeses with those necrotic looking tough outer rinds that are sometimes 1/8th of an inch thick, almost more of a hull? Do you eat the rind on a cabrales blue, including the leaves? (I do.) Do you not eat the rind on a Stilton? (It's probably edible, but I don't.) Yet I do eat the crust on an equally tough and mangy looking Tomme de Savoie.

Why do I know I can or should? Well, I don't. When I get a new cheese, I just nibble at these parts. If I like it, I eat it. If I see wax or a cheesecloth impression, I usually don't, not because I think it's unsafe but because it's usually a hard unwelcome texture without any additional benefit of taste.

This came up yesterday when we were trying two new cheeses purchased at our favorite crazy little wine and cheese shop out in the Skagit County countryside, Slough Foods. A Rogue River (Oregon) raw goats milk cheese had one of those thick, crusts and I liked the ruddy look of it. Tasted it...mmm, paprika! Yes, this is very good, and who would coat a cheese in a thick layer of paprika if they didn't mean you to eat it? Another cheese, very yellow and nutty and from one of the local islands, was equally wonderful, but it had the cheesecloth impression and I found the rind waxy, so that I cut away.

I otherwise know of no sure-fire way to tell which to eat and which not. But while waiting for John, Slough Foods' proprietor, to cut my cheeses (Bill Spohn, leave that alone :) ) I heard a lady and her husband behind me discussing my choices. She, clearly, was confused about how to determine which rinds were edible--"How do you know?"--but so much so, that she was not in favor of buying unfamiliar cheeses and found herself favoring the cheddars. Apparently, she always knows what to do with cheddar and it almost never has a crust, skin or even a wax rind to deal with. I cannot imagine confining myself only to the world of simple, straightforward cheese because that saved me having to ask, or figure out for myself, how to approach the rest.

But there are probably a lot of people like that woman at Slough Foods, and a long time ago I was one of them. Stilton, encountered upon my move to England, was probably the ugliest cheese I'd ever laid eyes on, but it was also the first blue cheese I ever liked. And I hadn't merely disliked blue cheese previously, I'd despised it. Brie was another happy European discovery. It's mold, but you can eat it? A revelation. And once I cleared that hurdle, the rest was downhill. I would quickly learn that there was no cheese I didn't like--the stinkier the better--and as quickly lose my taste for the rubber American supermarket cheeses that were once all I knew from cheese. I wonder if in fact it isn't the idea of mold that keeps many from adventuring beyond cheddar.

But I digress. How do YOU decide when to eat the rind?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: The Rind Dilemma: when to eat it, when not?

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm

I basically use your rules.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 pm

I've yet to encounter a rind that I like. Never on a brie. although some are better than others.

I just had Humboldt Fog last week. I liked the insides, including the grey line in the middle (ash?). I did't like the rind, nor the thin yellow layer just below the rind.

Cheese rinds all taste musty/old/moldy to me so I see no reason to eat them.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:54 pm

I'm with you, Jenise. Taste it and see.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:12 pm

I would quickly learn that there was no cheese I didn't like

Ever had a nice warm slice of Limburger?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:23 pm

I've never been fond of the rind on that very thin yellow/orange cheese one often sees in the dairy cases in supermarkets.

I can't remember the name right now.

The presentation is in the form of thin, square slices with a relatively clear rind. They are stacked very neatly and encased in a clear plastic wrapper. As a user friendly gesture the rind comes with an overlapping flap so that one may actually peel away the rind if one is not rind disposed!

(I must admit I've done this myself as I find the rind somewhat chewy).

I think this same company markets a wonderful cheese-in-a-box product. It comes in a green cardboard cylinder with a built in dispenser!
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Dave R wrote:
I would quickly learn that there was no cheese I didn't like

Ever had a nice warm slice of Limburger?

I love Limberger. Or is it Lemberger. Did you know it's actually Dutch, not German? Very near the border, but on the Dutch side.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Chef, that's not cheese. Read the ingredients: no milk.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Jenise wrote:I love Limberger. Or is it Lemberger. Did you know it's actually Dutch, not German? Very near the border, but on the Dutch side.

Never mind Limberger; how about Liederkranz?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 pm

I think of Liederkranz as rather mild -- I used to have it sometimes with black bread and onions. An American cheese. Have not noticed it in stores for ages.

At any rate the REALLY inedible rinds have some kind of fabric embedded. Mostly I have a nibble. Sometimes my wife and I disagree but it's no big deal. With Manchego the rind LOOKS like that fabric stuff but it turns out that if you leave it on and eat it you hardly notice it.

I generally don't eat the red part when I buy Gouda...

F
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I think of Liederkranz as rather mild -- I used to have it sometimes with black bread and onions. An American cheese. Have not noticed it in stores for ages.

A friend of mine, in an act of provocation, once hid a block of Liederkranz in another friend's automobile. The car-owner could not find the stash and so the car became more and more, ahem, noticeable. Even at quite some distance.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Never mind Limberger; how about Liederkranz?

Liederkranz - The product of the same evil mind that created velveeta.
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:I think of Liederkranz as rather mild -- I used to have it sometimes with black bread and onions. An American cheese. Have not noticed it in stores for ages.

A friend of mine, in an act of provocation, once hid a block of Liederkranz in another friend's automobile. The car-owner could not find the stash and so the car became more and more, ahem, noticeable. Even at quite some distance.

I prefer salmon heads for this hilarious hijink. Fresh, wild-caught salmon heads from newly filleted fish, of course. Under the front seat. They perform best in the summer.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Jenise wrote: Did you know it's actually Dutch, not German? Very near the border, but on the Dutch side.

Some of my Belgian relatives in Limbourg might have a different take on this. Although I'm not sure anyone would want credit for Limberger cheese.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Chef, that's not cheese. Read the ingredients: no milk.

Labels? Now I have to read labels, too? Will these demands never cease??!!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:02 pm

ChefJCarey wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Chef, that's not cheese. Read the ingredients: no milk.

Labels? Now I have to read labels, too? Will these demands never cease??!!

When you're the Big Cheese, people expect a lot from you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:I love Limberger. Or is it Lemberger. Did you know it's actually Dutch, not German? Very near the border, but on the Dutch side.

Never mind Limberger; how about Liederkranz?

In the little wooden box. My father loved it when I was a kid, and we made much fun of it. Haven't seen it since the English Epiphany, but from what I remember of it I'd love it now too. I really meant it when I said there's no such thing as too stinky.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Jenise wrote: Did you know it's actually Dutch, not German? Very near the border, but on the Dutch side.

Some of my Belgian relatives in Limbourg might have a different take on this. Although I'm not sure anyone would want credit for Limberger cheese.
Bill

I was told this by a Dutchman as we drove through the town of Limburg, Netherlands, and I took it as fact. (It was a Sunday, so all the shops were closed, but added evidence is that there were Limburg cheese shops there.) So just now I looked it up on Wikipedia, and see he was somewhat wrong:

Limburger cheese originated in Limburg, which is now divided between modern-day Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. Limburger is especially known for its pungent odor. The bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and other rind-washed cheeses is Brevibacterium linens; this same bacterium is found on human skin and is partially responsible for human body odor.[1]

The Herve cheese is a particular kind of Limburger cheese produced in the Land of Herve.

Limburger cheese and its characteristic odor are a frequent butt of jokes and gags. In 2006 a study showing that the malaria mosquito (Anopheles gambiae) is attracted equally to the smell of Limburger cheese and to the smell of human feet[2] earned the Ig Nobel Prize in the area of biology. [3]

Despite its birth location, most of the Limburger cheese made today comes from Germany, and has since about the 19th century. It was first produced by Rudolph Benkerts in 1867 in his cellar from pasteurized goat’s milk. [4] A few years later, there were about 25 factories that produced this cheese. Now, the Chalet Cheese Cooperative, located in Monroe, Wisconsin, is the only company which still makes this cheese in the United States.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Beverly likes her Brie rind and all. I like it if you bake it and put it into a sandwich where I can't see it.
no avatar
User

Christine Cross

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 am

Caesarea, Israel

by Christine Cross » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:51 am

Frank Deis wrote:I generally don't eat the red part when I buy Gouda...

F

We used to pretend it was gum as kids - I guess there were those wax lips, so it can't have been bad for us...
"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." -Luciano Pavarotti
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:48 am

Here's why you haven't seen Liederkranz in the stores for a while (from WIkipedia):

"In 1985 bacterial contamination of a batch of Liederkranz and several other cheeses induced Fisher to withdraw Liederkranz from the market, selling the franchise and the bacterial culture to Beatrice Foods and the New Zealand Dairy Board. That was the last batch of Liederkranz to be made. The unique bacterial culture for making Liederkranz is rumored to have been kept alive."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:59 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'm with you, Jenise. Taste it and see.

Me three, although - I kind of hate to confess this, being a Euro-food snob and at least a bit of a turophile, but my Rule No. 2 (after this one) is, "if in doubt, don't eat."
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:34 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Here's why you haven't seen Liederkranz in the stores for a while (from WIkipedia):

"In 1985 bacterial contamination of a batch of Liederkranz and several other cheeses induced Fisher to withdraw Liederkranz from the market, selling the franchise and the bacterial culture to Beatrice Foods and the New Zealand Dairy Board. That was the last batch of Liederkranz to be made. The unique bacterial culture for making Liederkranz is rumored to have been kept alive."

Very interesting, thank you Jeff. And of course how many people here would think of TWENTY THREE YEARS as "a while ago" and remember the stuff. Sobering thought, for me...

I really don't know of a replacement, I don't know of any cheese that tastes that way, and now that I know I can't have it, I miss it.

Frank
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I really don't know of a replacement, I don't know of any cheese that tastes that way, and now that I know I can't have it, I miss it.

Well, WIkipedia offers that a fellow named Kutter also misses it, so he sells a Bayrisher Bergsteiger Kase which is as close to Liederkranz as he can make it. His store is at http://www.kuttercheese.com/products/product.html
Next