Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

NYT Article: Pad Thai, Sad Thai

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

NYT Article: Pad Thai, Sad Thai

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:07 am

Thai Leader Ordered to Resign Over TV Show

This is a N.Y. Times article and may require (free) registration.

I like the name of one of the shows, "Tasting and Complaining." It kind of reminds of someplace I visit often.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: NYT Article: Pad Thai, Sad Thai

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:10 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:This is a N.Y. Times article and may require (free) registration.

I'm pretty sure that's over now: The Times was one of the first of the old media to recognize that they stand to earn a hell of a lot more money on the Web by opening the gates, letting the hordes in and subjecting them to advertising (a fair trade, IMO) then they would by barring the gates and putting up barricades that held down their numbers.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 am

I heard something about that on NPR today. What I remember is that this guy had a recipe for "larb tuna" which sounds fantastic.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:This is a N.Y. Times article and may require (free) registration.

I'm pretty sure that's over now: The Times was one of the first of the old media to recognize that they stand to earn a hell of a lot more money on the Web by opening the gates, letting the hordes in and subjecting them to advertising (a fair trade, IMO) then they would by barring the gates and putting up barricades that held down their numbers.

I like your theory, but it certainly hasn't translated to success for the stock, which is deep in the crapper.
I'm not sure the web has been such a boon to the newspaper and news magazine industry. I believe someday, they will have to charge for content in order to survive.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:19 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

I like your theory, but it certainly hasn't translated to success for the stock, which is deep in the crapper.
I'm not sure the web has been such a boon to the newspaper and news magazine industry. I believe someday, they will have to charge for content in order to survive.

Funny you should day that! I was at a cattle call yesterday and the guy sitting next to me had been an advertising manager at the S.F. Chronicle for about 11 years. The concept of charging for content was anathema to him. Still in all, both of us were looking for entry-level positions in the pulmonary ailment home supply and services area. That tells you something.
And now what?