Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The dish for Picpoul de Pinet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

The dish for Picpoul de Pinet

by Thomas » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:06 am

I have discovered a great combo for this wine: (excuse me, Stuart, Rahsaan, and other vegetarians) chicken dusted with hot pepper-flaked cornmeal and then baked, served with a side dish of cooked barley sauteed with garlic, tomato, squash, and other things that I forgot to ask my wife about but knew there was more in there--she did the meal last night.

The Picpoul? Saint-Peyre 2007. Clean, tight, a little smoky (and was that a hint of pineapple atop a ham?) About $10 a bottle, I think, and just great with the chicken and side dish.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: The dish for Picpoul de Pinet

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:05 am

Funny, I have never found Picpoul that travelled well. It has always seemed to be much better when drunk within haling distance of the Med and seems a tad faded when bought here.

Don't know if it is really a bit fragile or if I am just taken in by the surroundings in southern France. I like your dish, although I have always tended to drink it with some sort of seafood.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Funny, I have never found Picpoul that travelled well. It has always seemed to be much better when drunk within haling distance of the Med and seems a tad faded when bought here.

Don't know if it is really a bit fragile or if I am just taken in by the surroundings in southern France. I like your dish, although I have always tended to drink it with some sort of seafood.

Everything tastes better where it's produced--that explains the phenomenon of opening a bottle of wine at home that you bought while visiting the winery and then find yourself wondering: what was I thinking?

When I visited the region, I was slightly amazed at how it could produce such crisp white wine perfect for seafood. But this pairing worked so well together for me, it's changed my attitude about the wine. Of course, I could be out to lunch, which I believe I ought to be soon...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 pm

excuse me, Stuart

Uh-oh, am I going to have to light a match?

Now I need to think of something with a similar flavor profile as your dish to try that wine with.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Uh-oh, am I going to have to light a match?

Now I need to think of something with a similar flavor profile as your dish to try that wine with.

You will think of something, and I bet it has shrooms in it! And, when you do, I'll wish I lived closer!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:Uh-oh, am I going to have to light a match?

You will think of something, and I bet it has shrooms in it! And, when you do, I'll wish I lived closer!

Let the games begin!
Thomas P