Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Food Magazines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Food Magazines

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 am

There are a ton of them out there, and I've subscribed to many of them over the years. Now I am down to Bon Appetit, which I enjoy for the high food low lifestyle ratio, and Saveur which appeals to me for some of the regional articlees with interesting recipes.

I also get Gourmet, but only when I get offered a silly low priced subscription and even then it passes through, has it's recipes, if any, clipped and goes where all magazines that aren't obvious trash go to die, the reception room table at work.

Used to get Food & Wine and a bunch of others but let them drop as they failed to hold my interest.

What do you guys swear by - I'm always interested in somthing I may not have heard about. And what do you subscribe to?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Food Magazines

by David Creighton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:50 am

i like saveur as well - often goes into some depth and also often comes up with unique stuff - both of which are important to me. but my favorite is edward behr's Art of Eating. it is a quarterly thing but VERY in depth and gives me lots of travel ideas as well.

http://www.artofeating.com/
david creighton
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 am

I don't subscribe to it, but I've enjoyed a few issues of Fine Cooking and also enjoyed the recipes.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 am

Many many magazines. My wife is a food magazine junkie. We get Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Food and Wine, Cook's Illustrated, Saveur, Australian Gourmet Traveler, and a British one that I can't recall at the moment. Used to get Fine Cooking and Cooking Light but they went by the wayside.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:34 am

I hate to say it, but none of them hold my interest any more. I gave up Bon Appetit and Gourmet years ago, flirted with Cooks Illustrated for a while (but gave it up for reasons discussed in another recent thread) and have never warmed up to Saveur. The Internet - this forum, mostly, and frequent trips to Chef Google, have pretty much replaced print magazines for me, in cooking and most other fields as well. I also find that as time goes by I'm much more inclined to build recipes based on travel memories and my fickle mood than to look them up in magazines or books.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:51 pm

I like Saveur but don't subscribe to it, as the net and google provide anything I need to know or want to find out. My wife subscribes to Southern Living for their recs, and a few have proved excellent.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:25 pm

Yes, despite our house being flooded with cooking magazines, I also tend to use the 'net for recipes. This site and Epicurious are the two I use most commonly.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:56 pm

we get lots of 'em - I highly recommend Fine Cooking
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:20 pm

no comments? so, no one even knows about The Art of Eating and it can't be worthwhile for that reason? if you are REALLY into food, you need this.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I hate to say it, but none of them hold my interest any more. I gave up Bon Appetit and Gourmet years ago, flirted with Cooks Illustrated for a while (but gave it up for reasons discussed in another recent thread) and have never warmed up to Saveur. The Internet - this forum, mostly, and frequent trips to Chef Google, have pretty much replaced print magazines for me, in cooking and most other fields as well. I also find that as time goes by I'm much more inclined to build recipes based on travel memories and my fickle mood than to look them up in magazines or books.

Well, at least I can agree with Robin vis-a-vis food magazines. We have gotten into to mode where if we see a nice recipe on TV we track it down; and if it checks out all right we print it. We have a whole notebook filled with great recipes.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Done them all. Don't do any anymore. Robin mentioned some of the reasons. If you don't have a feel for cooking when you get to be over 50, well...
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:11 am

ChefJCarey wrote:Done them all. Don't do any anymore. Robin mentioned some of the reasons. If you don't have a feel for cooking when you get to be over 50, well...

Yeah, that's it for me, too. I'm much more likely to come up with something when I taste a dish or hear about one that rings my bell. My recipe books don't get much use anymore unless I'm cooking an unfamiliar ethnic cuisine- and those don't get much play in the dead-tree slicks.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:13 pm

A long time ago I subscribed to Gourmet. Never did any of the others.

"Art of Eating" is not really a recipe provider; it is THE BEST food history/culture magazine out there. I recommend it to everyone reading this board.

I am also currently reading Gastronomica, but I won't renew.

I still refer to cookbooks from time to time; I'd rather buy a cookbook than a magazine subscription.

I also source recipes from the internet -- and friends -- but, as someone else said, unless it's something ethnic, I can usually shift for myself.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
ChefJCarey wrote:Done them all. Don't do any anymore. Robin mentioned some of the reasons. If you don't have a feel for cooking when you get to be over 50, well...

Yeah, that's it for me, too. I'm much more likely to come up with something when I taste a dish or hear about one that rings my bell. My recipe books don't get much use anymore unless I'm cooking an unfamiliar ethnic cuisine- and those don't get much play in the dead-tree slicks.

Same here. But I still read Saveur because I still generally learn something from every issue. I love it's multi-cultural approach. It's less about recipes than food origins, trends and discovery.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:10 pm

We get three: Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, and Saveur. BA is a gift from my mother, who likes it, and it's worth making a recipe from it occasionally and telling her -she enjoys giving. F&W I hadn't read in years, but did a $8 subscription deal. Not too impressed, although some good looking stuff in one that came yesterday. The only one I pay "real money" for is Saveur, more for reasons that Jenise described than recipes.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am

I mainly feel like Robin does, surfing the net for most of my recipes. However, I do like to get into bed at night with a new cooking magazine to look through and bounce ideas off Len.

I used to be an avid Gourmet reader but dropped my subscription after Ruth Reichl came on to the scene. Not sure if she is 100% responsible but the magazine now seems to be all about travel and shopping.

Subscriptions I currently have are: Bon Appetit (enjoy it a lot) and Cook's Illustrated. I really enjoy reading CI, but don't often cook anything from it. Occasionally I'll glean a time saving tip or something and I enjoy their product taste tests. Somehow my husband became a subscriber to Food and Wine, which is ironic since he doesn't really cook. I think it came free with his Amex account or something. To me, this is probably the most worthless of cooking magazines--I'm not sure I've ever seen a single recipe that I've wanted to make, but I would definitely miss reading Lettie Teague's wine articles. She is the best.

Occasionally, I will take a magazine from the grocery line if the cover photo intrigues me--Saveur, Fine Cooking, etc.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 am

Carrie L. wrote:I used to be an avid Gourmet reader but dropped my subscription after Ruth Reichl came on to the scene. Not sure if she is 100% responsible but the magazine now seems to be all about travel and shopping.

Subscriptions I currently have are: Bon Appetit (enjoy it a lot) and Cook's Illustrated. I really enjoy reading CI, but don't often cook anything from it.

I'm of like mind - used to like Gourmet but dropped it when it became a travel mag and the fod content dropped (does anyone else see the parallel with Wine Spectator - I also dropped it when it stopped being about wine and became a primer on how to be one of the Beautiful People, where to travel and who to know.) I still get Gourmet every few years for the waiting room when they offer a super low price subscription.

I've subscribed to Bon Appetit since the 80s and have always found it entertaining. It is a poor issue if we don't makr at least a couple of recipes to try.

A friend put me onto Saveur, and while I don't get the same number of recipes from it as I do from BA, I enjoy many of the articles more.
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:55 pm

I've become eclectic, each issue of each magazine is judged by the value of the articles and recipes.

Where I used to buy nearly every issue of each magazine, it's become about one out of six for any of them.

The exception is Bon Appetit, it's still hard to pass up an issue of that magazine.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am

Bill Spohn wrote:...I also dropped it when it stopped being about wine and became a primer on how to be one of the Beautiful People...
Some of us don't need primers for this. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.