Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasta Dough: Egg Or Not?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Pasta Dough: Egg Or Not?

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:49 pm

I'm just curious as to what the group does about homemade pasta dough.

For me, as passed down through the maternal hierarchy of my (southern) Italian-American family, it's always been simply flour, a touch of ice water, salt, and carpal-tunnel-inducing kneading. The flour was whatever was available, ordinarily all purpose, but I frou frou it up a bit and go for the durum wheat flour and semolina.

But no eggs ... uh, uh, no eggs. Those would be egg noodles which, I admit, have their own charm, but I reserve such for my variations on German themes.

What do you all do?

==================
P.S. Second ex walked off with the pasta machine so I do it all by hand. You know. Mano-a-mano by the man, oh!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Re: Pasta Dough: Egg Or Not?

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:07 am

I've never made pasta in my life, but am thinking about a pasta attachment for my Kitchenaid stand mixer.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:13 am

Either. Depends on the dish. Tagliarini, for example, will always have egg because, well, that's what they do in Alba. Spaghetti, nope.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:21 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:I'm just curious as to what the group does about homemade pasta dough.

For me, as passed down through the maternal hierarchy of my (southern) Italian-American family, it's always been simply flour, a touch of ice water, salt, and carpal-tunnel-inducing kneading. The flour was whatever was available, ordinarily all purpose, but I frou frou it up a bit and go for the durum wheat flour and semolina.

But no eggs ... uh, uh, no eggs. Those would be egg noodles which, I admit, have their own charm, but I reserve such for my variations on German themes.

Coincidentally, I just made pasta tonight with my soon-to-be-4 son, one of the few communal cooking activities that works well for us. Because I was using all-purpose flour, I did indeed use egg (for semolina I don't). Even so, we did make spaghetti as well as fetuccine from it, because that's what Andrew wanted and that's what my ancient Marcato Atlas can make easily. In an ideal world, though, it's egg for ravioli and tortellini and semolina for the rest.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 am

I follow the Northern Italian tradition of using egg. The result is not a Germanic egg noodle. It is a correct pasta.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am

Eggs or not? Yes.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:48 am

We always use egg. Otherwise, we buy dried pasta. I think most "fresh" pasta here uses egg. I have no idea whether or not that's authentic. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:45 am

If I were making orechiette, then I wouldn't use egg. But it's just so much easier to buy those, that what's the point?
For luxurious fresh pappardelle, lasagne, fettucine, or ravioli, you must use egg to get it right, IMO.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 am

I've always used egg. Have to try it without someday.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:21 am

I come down firmly on either way.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:30 am

I normally use egg, which I believe to be the tradition from Lazio north. The standard procedure of making a well in flour on a flat surface, pouring in beaten egg and stirring until it's dough strikes me as Italian, not American. And referring back to my old books, egg seems absolutely a requirement in Emilia-Romagna (Marcella Hazan), and in Rome (Franco and Margaret Romagnoli).
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:51 am

I'm with you Gary. No eggs. Orecchiete is my fave.

rwj
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:16 am

That's interesting Gary...does the pasta stay together? I didn't even know you could make fresh pasta without egg.

My family always uses eggs. The majority of my ancestry is from Naples. I know my Paternal Grandmother is from Siciliy. I will have to ask my Dad if she ever made egg-less pasta.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 am

Maria Samms wrote: I didn't even know you could make fresh pasta without egg.
......... The majority of my ancestry is from Naples. I know my Paternal Grandmother is from Siciliy.

Ah Maria, I should give you one of those smacks to the back of your head. You're supposed to know this stuff. :twisted:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:05 am

Maria Samms wrote:That's interesting Gary...does the pasta stay together? I didn't even know you could make fresh pasta without egg.
My family always uses eggs. The majority of my ancestry is from Naples. I know my Paternal Grandmother is from Siciliy. I will have to ask my Dad if she ever made egg-less pasta.

My gnarly kneading knuckles attest to it. It's a pretty simple process with very little water, too.
And now what?