Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

An economist

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

An economist

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 am

talks commonsensically about our food supply.

This is not a "sight bite." It's a fairly long article by a guy who thinks about this stuff a lot. You may wish to read some of the other articles on his site.

http://web.missouri.edu/~ikerdj/papers/Sowing.html
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: An economist

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 pm

The more thoughtful of youse guys must be busy.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm

It's an excellent article, Joseph. Thanks for linking it.

He brings validates the ideas and processes long espoused by Organic Gardening and Mother Earth News, to name a couple of magizines that I have frequently read over the years, and practiced in a small way by many rural folk. Unfortunately, not enough people heed the message, which is why our food chain has become slaved to Big Business.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm

I don't have time to read it in complete detail, but the line of reasoning and arguments presented remind me a lot of two books: Collapse, by Jared Diamond (author of Guns, Germs and Steel) and The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Specifically, your article touches on Diamond's analysis of the factors needed for societal sustainability, among which were soil, water and timber conservation and Pollan's visit to Polyface Farms in Virginia to see a sustainable farming operation that relies on the interplay between grass, cattle and chicken to improve soil quality while simultaneously providing enough food to sustain the business.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:00 am

The guy's writing really struck me because it's where my head is right now. There seems to be a strange confluence in my universe.

I just finished reading Trust Us, We're Experts by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber. Some the biggest villains in the spin game seem to be companies like Monsanto (seems like they are on every other page in the book), DuPont, Dow, WR Grace etc., the multinational "food" companies.

And then I ran across his web site. What a sane man.

And to top it off this morning I watched a Bill Hicks routine where he enjoined all marketing people to kill themselves.

I am hearing the music of the spheres.