Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Killer Ginger Ice Cream

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Killer Ginger Ice Cream

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:31 am

This is without a doubt the best ginger ice cream I've ever had. Very strong ginger spiciness and a lovely creamy texture. We served it with a pear upside-down cake. It's from the November '98 issue of Gourmet, via Epicurious.

(Note: the original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of grated fresh ginger root. I upped that to 1/2 cup and it came out very nicely.)

4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup coarsely grated peeled fresh ginger root (I used 1/2 c.)
2 tablespoons water
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup crystallized ginger (I was able to get a "Baker's Cut" product, which was pre-chopped and worked well.)

In a large bowl lightly whisk yolks. In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook sugar, fresh ginger root, and water over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add half-and-half and bring to a simmer. Add hot half-and-half mixture to yolks in a slow stream, whisking, and pour into pan. Cook custard over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a thermometer registers 170°F. (Do not let boil.)

Pour custard through a sieve into cleaned bowl and stir in cream and vanilla. Cool custard. Chill custard, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day.

Finely chop crystallized ginger (not necessary if you get the "Baker's Cut" ginger). Freeze custard in an ice-cream maker, adding crystallized ginger three fourths of way through freezing process. Transfer ice cream to a container and put in the freezer to harden.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: RCP: Killer Ginger Ice Cream

by Matilda L » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 am

Oh, I do love ginger ice cream.
It can be wonderful served up with hot bitter-chocolate sauce. Or steamed chocolate pudding (very dark). Or just on its own.

Matilda
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:This is without a doubt the best ginger ice cream I've ever had. Very strong ginger spiciness and a lovely creamy texture.

Confession: I've never made ice cream. And I do own an ice cream maker! This recipe might push me over the edge at last--sounds wonderful. I even have some crystalized ginger that I bought from Penzey's awhile back, though I had no idea what I would do with it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:37 am

Jenise wrote: I even have some crystalized ginger that I bought from Penzey's awhile back, though I had no idea what I would do with it.

You should try eating it sometime. Great stuff!

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Confession: I've never made ice cream. And I do own an ice cream maker! This recipe might push me over the edge at last--sounds wonderful. I even have some crystalized ginger that I bought from Penzey's awhile back, though I had no idea what I would do with it.

If you bought the crystallized ginger a while back, you might give it a try to make sure it still has some kick to it. My sense is that it can lose it's gingeriness over time. It's more or less optional in this recipe, so leaving it out won't be a major problem.

Another option would be to use the chopped crystallized ginger as a topping rather than incorporating it into the ice cream.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 am

Maybe I have erred in technique but I find that crystallized ginger doesn't go well with cooking. It loses the bite and the kick and becomes just gummy and sweet.

But perhaps/obviously that is not an issue in this cold dish.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 am

Rahsaan wrote:Maybe I have erred in technique but I find that crystallized ginger doesn't go well with cooking. It loses the bite and the kick and becomes just gummy and sweet.

But perhaps/obviously that is not an issue in this cold dish.

I think it's more a textural addition in this. It does keep its kick, but the coldness mutes it a bit. The cold also keeps it from getting gummy.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:11 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I think it's more a textural addition in this. It does keep its kick, but the coldness mutes it a bit. The cold also keeps it from getting gummy.

Yes, I can see it working. Especially the later it is added. I don't have an ice cream machine, but when I eventually get one I will keep this in mind!