Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Questions for the venison experts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Questions for the venison experts

by Dave R » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Last winter a buddy of mine gave me two frozen venison tenderloins and I plan on making them later this week for himself, his wife and some other friends. I would really appreciate any tips for prep and cooking method. I’ve tried the back straps from both of the same bucks and they were not “gamey” in the least so I am hoping the tenderloins will be similar and will not need to marinate the meat. I have never made venison tenderloin before and really do not want to make a mistake. Is brining a good idea because the meat is so lean? And how about cooking? My hope is to just grill them, but again, I have zero experience with cooking venison tenderloin.

Thanks for any ideas.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Questions for the venison experts

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:24 pm

Dave R wrote:Last winter a buddy of mine gave me two frozen venison tenderloins and I plan on making them later this week for himself, his wife and some other friends. I would really appreciate any tips for prep and cooking method. I’ve tried the back straps from both of the same bucks and they were not “gamey” in the least so I am hoping the tenderloins will be similar and will not need to marinate the meat. I have never made venison tenderloin before and really do not want to make a mistake. Is brining a good idea because the meat is so lean? And how about cooking? My hope is to just grill them, but again, I have zero experience with cooking venison tenderloin. Thanks for any ideas.

David, I am partially guessing but I would venture to say that the tenderloins will not be gamy as the seeing that the back strap was not. If it were me cooking venison tenderloin I would heavily lay several strips of the fattiest bacon I could find on top of the loins. If you can find it I would use caul fat instead of bacon, and just wrap the whole tender in it. good luck in your endeavor/
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Agree with Bob a hundret percent.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Once long ago when I worked the night shift in a computer room, I had a successful hunt one weekend. I told an acquaintence about it and as he worked the same shift across the street, the next night he brought a portable charcoal grill, I brought the tenderloins, and at midnight I grilled and we ate the tastiest and most tender venison I have ever had (and I've eaten a LOT of venison). I seasoned it with salt and black pepper only, and grilled until just done (I always ate meat well done back then). It was from a yearling doe, which did make a difference with tenderness.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:30 am

We fry most of our venison and it tastes great. Today we had BBQ venison ribs which to me is some of the best meat in the world. I personally don't do a lot of marinating of venison and it turns out really good for me. If the back straps were fine I would cook the tenderloin the same way.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:52 am

Mule or whitetail?

I prefer to pan sear mine (I like it rare) and marinate for flavor, moisture and tenderness. I've not heard of anyone brining it, but that might work. Larding or barding is of course an option, but needed only if you're roasting it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:19 am

Marinate in wine and herbs for a few hours and grill, roast (super high heat), or pan sear to a wonderful VERY rare.

rwj
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks for all of the great replies!

Mark,

They are Whitetail.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Larding or barding is of course an option, but needed only if you're roasting it.

Okay, I'll fess my ignorance. What is barding?

I'm pretty sure it's not, as a dummy Education/English major would automatically assume, quoting lengthy passages from Shakespeare at it to soften it up.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Threading strips of fat or bacon through the meat, using a larding needle (I actually have one).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm strong on adding fat one way or the other. Most of us put bacon around beef tenderloin steaks, and venison tenderloin is even leaner.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Dave R wrote:They are Whitetail.

I figured as much. Whitetail in my experience produce the least gamy venison I've ever eaten. Around here, it probably has as much to do with their diet (corn, corn and more corn) as anything else, but I'm one of those contrarians who eats venison for the gamy flavor (I like fairly Brett-y wines, too) so it's no boon for me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

I figured as much. Whitetail in my experience produce the least gamy venison I've ever eaten. Around here, it probably has as much to do with their diet (corn, corn and more corn) as anything else, but I'm one of those contrarians who eats venison for the gamy flavor (I like fairly Brett-y wines, too) so it's no boon for me.

Mark Lipton

If you soaked your venison in Beaujolais it would be even gamayer. Nyuk Nyuk. But don't use one that has been thermovinified.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

Mark Lipton

Mark,

You are right. Diet plays a significant role and I would also add that the harvesting conditions/process may produce a gamy flavor in the meat.

Nothing wrong with being a contrarian, BTW.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Hoke wrote:
If you soaked your venison in Beaujolais it would be even gamayer. Nyuk Nyuk. But don't use one that has been thermovinified.

Not now that I've been through Chairman D's Bojo Rehabilitation program, Hoke. Heck, I can't even say the name George CENSORED since the therapy. And a little of the '05 Thevenet Morgon with my Bambi steaks will provide me gaminess aplenty. Thanks for the suggestion, big guy!

Mark Lipton

p.s. I never knew you had a (sur)namesake on the Wine Internet until yesterday. Quite confusing, it is.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 am

There is also the blacktail version of venison that all of you forgot about. I agree that what they eat makes a big difference to the taste of the meat. The deer around here love to eat our Almonds. We always claimed that is what makes them taste so good.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:33 am

Most of the venison I've had in the past 25 years has been peanut-fed, from my uncle's farm. ;)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

by Dave R » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Almond fed and peanut fed? Lucky deer! The deer that pass through my yard are bark fed. They especially like the bush bark and will strip the bushes clean if I don't shoo them away.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:53 pm

Our whitetail deer in Pennsylvania were corn and apple fed. Yum.