Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How far should a restaurant go?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: How far should a restaurant go?

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:44 pm

I have a vision of you as a sideshow chimp.

Same thing happened to me at San Ysidro Ranch. They gave me a jacket that looked (and smelled) like it was made from a horse blanket.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:56 am

Yep, happened to me once also, looked like an escapee from an institution in my 'borrowed' jacket, so now if going to an unfamiliar upscale resto, always take a jacket just in case.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:14 pm

As I said earlier, it's a regional thing. Boston has a much stricter definition of proper attire than much of the rest of the world.

I suffered thus once at Cafe Budapest in Boston. I showed up without a jacket, and they said, no problem, we can provide one for you. It was blazing red. If I'd had a scarlet 'A' on my head I'd have felt less conspicuous and embarrassed. An excellent meal, in an excellent venue, but partially ruined that night for me by the dress code. I had a great time on a return visit, when I remembered to wear a dinner jacket.

Personally I prefer the Californian attitude. But then, I'm an engineer and wear sandals at work.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Any eating establishment that even hints at requiring a jacket and tie is one for me to avoid like the plague. I suffered through 9 years of having to dress in the monkey suit at work, and I put on a tie at most twice a year nowadays, and no longer even have a suit that fits. I fail to see the appeal in dressing up to that extent just to dine out.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:55 pm

A sculptor friend and I had just finished work for the day - building one of my restaurants. We were filthy, dressed in jeans and t-shirts.

We were hungry. Trader Vic's (the original) was nearby. We stopped in and were halted at the door and told we must sport ties to be admitted. Fortunately, the head waiter had an ample supply. It was late and there were few people in the joint. I think he was amused by our putting the ties on. He let us in.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Shel T

Rank

Durable Bon Vivant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:56 pm

20 miles from the nearest tsunami

by Shel T » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 am

LOL it's happened to me 3 or 4 times, maybe more but think I blocked out anything past 4 times!
Good thing there aren't any pix of me in those resto supplied jackets that ranged from badly ill-fitting to totally ridiculous and ties that looked as the Aussies would say, like a technicolor yawn, possible manufacturer, Hieronymus Bosch!
These days, am good for suit & tie maybe once a year.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:49 am

Robert Reynolds wrote: and no longer even have a suit that fits.

I think this is at the root of why many men dislike "dressing up." A suit that fits properly can be a joy to wear. Since it is an item that few men purchase regularly, the suit is often ill fitting and uncomfortable, and the thought of putting it on inspires dread. It doesn't have to be that way.

My brother, a retired NYC san man, spent many years avoiding weddings because he was always trying to squeeze into a suit ten years out of date. Finally, I dragged him to a store, and had him fitted for a new suit, along with all the goodies - new shirt, belt, shoes, the whole enchilada.
He loved it, and no longer dreads suit wearing occasions.

Everybody's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:43 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:Any eating establishment that even hints at requiring a jacket and tie is one for me to avoid like the plague. I suffered through 9 years of having to dress in the monkey suit at work, and I put on a tie at most twice a year nowadays, and no longer even have a suit that fits. I fail to see the appeal in dressing up to that extent just to dine out.

John Tomasso wrote:

Me, too. I had two jobs where I had to wear a tie. By the end of the day, I'd be in pain from wearing the damn thing. I can handle an MRI better than wearing a neck choker. And I have instructions that when I'm laid out in a coffin, there better be no damn tie--the invention of Satan.

I think this is at the root of why many men dislike "dressing up." A suit that fits properly can be a joy to wear. Since it is an item that few men purchase regularly, the suit is often ill fitting and uncomfortable, and the thought of putting it on inspires dread. It doesn't have to be that way.

My brother, a retired NYC san man, spent many years avoiding weddings because he was always trying to squeeze into a suit ten years out of date. Finally, I dragged him to a store, and had him fitted for a new suit, along with all the goodies - new shirt, belt, shoes, the whole enchilada.

As far as I'm concerned, suits suck and ties suck. Since my neck size is two sizes larger than standard proportioned shirts, I have to buy custom-made shirts (pricey, with a minimum of four per order) in order to wear a tie. If I get a shirt that fits my neck, the shoulders are down near my elbows. Luckily, my latest and last incarnation is as a writer, and I don't have to wear a monkey suit. Another reason to appreciate the casualness of New Mexico (but don't move here, try Arizona; we're getting too many people here).
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Stick to New Mexico if you're moving - they've got more room than Arizona!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:16 pm

We have a culture here that Repubs hate, but they love Arizona, home of the green bologna sandwiches.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 am

John Tomasso wrote:

John, it's all just vanity, and that ain't much my bag. A suit's a suit, whether off the rack or impeccably tailored, and if I never put another one on, it'll be just fine by me.

A related note: When my daughter got married, I managed to extract from her a promise that I would NOT have to wear a tux at the wedding. I have not once in my life worn a tux, and intend to go to my grave with that record intact. :lol:
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:28 am

A related note: When my daughter got married, I managed to extract from her a promise that I would NOT have to wear a tux at the wedding. I have not once in my life worn a tux, and intend to go to my grave with that record intact. :lol:

Put a rider in your will. They'll put one on you know - after.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:14 am

Robert Reynolds wrote:...it's all just vanity...

If you put the suit on for your own sake, then yes.

If you put the suit on in order to show respect for the proceedings, then it is manners, not vanity.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 am

ChefJCarey wrote:

Put a rider in your will. They'll put one on you know - after.

I'm getting cremated, and Gail knows my wishes. LOL
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Robert Reynolds wrote:...it's all just vanity...

If you put the suit on for your own sake, then yes.

If you put the suit on in order to show respect for the proceedings, then it is manners, not vanity.

I have enough manners to wear a suit at a wedding or a funeral, and if one of those events comes my way anytime soon, I'll go shopping. But it doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:20 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:If you put the suit on for your own sake, then yes.

True, to a point. Wearing a suit to the wedding is showing respect for the wishes of others, but that is a small part of showing manners. I've met scores of boors in tuxedos and/or suits at weddings and banquets, proving to me that manners are not how you look when you arrive, but rather how you act the rest of the evening.

Granted, I run in limited circles on this score, having years ago sworn off suits, weddings, and banquets, for the sake of my bulging neck (can't eat when wearing a tie), ear drums (it's a wedding, need I say more?), and gastro-intestinal system (it's banquet food, need I say anything?) ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:42 am

John Tomasso wrote:I think this is at the root of why many men dislike "dressing up." A suit that fits properly can be a joy to wear. Since it is an item that few men purchase regularly, the suit is often ill fitting and uncomfortable, and the thought of putting it on inspires dread. It doesn't have to be that way.

I was just going to post something like this, John, but you did it better. I was always a "hates ties" person until Mary got ahold of me and taught me how to dress up. I almost blanched when I saw the price tag on the first couple of suits and sport jackets she made me buy - not bespoke by any means, but high-quality off the rack, Canali and the like. But once I realized that a well-fitted, well-made suit is not uncomfortable to wear but really helps you look sharp (an area in which I need all the help I can get ;) ), and that a quality tie from Italo Ferrelli or Ferragamo, etc., will "out-power" most of the other guys in the room, eerything changed.

I'm dressing up this afternoon to lead a Tuscan tasting downtown, and I'm not dreading it in the least ...
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:...But once I realized that a well-fitted, well-made suit is not uncomfortable to wear but really helps you look sharp...

Here you go Robin:
LeisureSuit.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:43 pm

Thomas wrote:

True, to a point. Wearing a suit to the wedding is showing respect for the wishes of others, but that is a small part of showing manners.

I never said that wearing a suit was sufficient, it is merely necessary.

Thomas, you have a regrettable tendency to make-up arguments where there aren't any. This is not the first time. Please become more self-aware of this trait.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Thomas wrote:

True, to a point. Wearing a suit to the wedding is showing respect for the wishes of others, but that is a small part of showing manners.

I never said that wearing a suit was sufficient, it is merely necessary.

Thomas, you have a regrettable tendency to make-up arguments where there aren't any. This is not the first time. Please become more self-aware of this trait.

Jeff,

Arguing the point was not my intent. Just furthering the point about manners, which is why I stated "True, to a point."

Sometimes I hate this medium.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:49 pm

It is fairly easy to confuse an argument with a mere thread hijack. :wink:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:It is fairly easy to confuse an argument with a mere thread hijack. :wink:

Is not.

Is too.

Is not.

Is too...
Thomas P
Previous