Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Banned in Bos...,er, Texas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Banned in Bos...,er, Texas

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 am

Rebel is my name. Tonight I threw caution to the wind and cooked green chile stew, using any ingredients I wanted to. And I cooked it in a pressure cooker because I had less than 1-1/2 hours to be at a booksigning. I threw in browned pork cubes, garlic, onion, green chile, tomatoes, potatoes and corn. 15 min later, it was scarfed down by my favorite wife and me.

I also heated some uncooked tortillas on a dry griddle. The tortillas, which are paper thin, were given to me by my cousin, who bought them at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. At any rate, they're quite good and remain flexible even after they puff up.

BTW, some restaurants here offer green chile stew with or without beans (refried). I've eaten it both ways. I'm sure glad we're not Texas where the variation would probably be illegal.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Banned in Bos...,er, Texas

by Maria Samms » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 am

Larry Greenly wrote: my favorite wife

How many you got there Larry...LOL j/k (couldn't resist)

The Stew sounds really good. I won't say anything to Cowboy!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: Banned in Bos...,er, Texas

by Larry Greenly » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 am

She's also my first wife.

Green chile stew is one of my favorite dishes on this planet. I've even eaten it for breakfast (it's also good for hangovers).

BTW, yesterday I bought a 30# sack of Hatch medium-hot green chiles (beautiful specimens, too), had them roasted and peeled them after letting them steam for about five hours. A 30# sack, peeled and seeded, will fit into four 1-gallon freezer bags. My hands had a very warm glow for several hours, but I was smart enough not to touch certain parts of my body.

A friend of mine puts up 12-13 sacks a year and stores them in a dedicated freezer. He'll never get scurvy; he eats green chile each and every day.