Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

HAVE YOU TRIED THIS

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

HAVE YOU TRIED THIS

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:15 pm

I ran across this article from the L.A. Times and shared its contents with the listeners of my radio show. It intrigued me so much that I am going to give it a try this weekend. Has anyone else heard of preparing tuna (or any other fish) this way? Have you tried it? What has been your experience? Let me know your thoughts.

Conserving Tuna Belly
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: HAVE YOU TRIED THIS

by Greg H » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

I haven't made this myself, but the most recent issue of Saveur-September, has an article that includes canning tuna at home.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:55 pm

I've had a couple of jars of tuna that a friend of mine canned in oil. They were the best I've ever had, by far. What I don't know is whether he poached the tuna in the oil or not.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I've had a couple of jars of tuna that a friend of mine canned in oil. They were the best I've ever had, by far. What I don't know is whether he poached the tuna in the oil or not.

Hi, Mike
The recipe is embedded in the article. Click on the picture to the left that says "Conserved Tuna". To answer your question, yes, the tuna is poached in the oil -- in as low a flame as you can get, from what I can tell. But, it is clear that this is not canned tuna per se. It is intended to be eaten quickly, but can be refrigerated for a week or more (but longer than 10 days to 2 weeks I'd get a little concerned). But, heck, a pound of tuna is not very much and I wouldn't think it would last very long in my house. But, it sounds absolutely scrumptious!! :P
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm

my dad used to live on Lake Pend Oreille six months out of the year. They caught fresh water salmon, smoked some and oil packed some and canned. Both were great and I made so many wonderful appetizers and salads. when he and my step-mom decided to stop going there, the fish was what I missed the most.
I buy tuna canned and smoked whenever I am at a coastal community where they get it in and process immediately. It is awesome and I don't know why you could not do it at home, if you have all the right equipment to do so.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Jo Ann, Hi....

It works and it works very well. Here in the Middle-East we've been doing it since the time of the Minoans (they used clay jugs not glass, but glass does work better). After the tuna is consumed don't discard the remaining oil. The oil can be used to great advantage for serving labane or other soft cheeses.

Additions that I used with the oil when poaching - whole black peppercorns, juniper berries, dried oregano.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 pm

edward behr - The Art of Eating - produced an italian recipe about 20 years or more ago that i have done and greatly enjoyed. albacore was poached in water with flavorings including bay leaf and peppercorns and garlic. then it is drained and covered in olive oil with whatever of the flavorings you wish and refrigerated till needed. i used it for salad nicoise.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Additions that I used with the oil when poaching - whole black peppercorns, juniper berries, dried oregano.

Best
Rogov

HI, Daniel
Great additions -- thank you for the suggestions. I had thought about the black peppercorns -- but not the juniper. Will definitely try that with the second batch -- omitting the bay leaves. I think they would compete.

David Creighton wrote:then it is drained and covered in olive oil with whatever of the flavorings you wish and refrigerated till needed.

How long have you refrigerated it, David? I know that olive oil is supposed to have a sealing effect and that foods are supposed to be quasi-preserved when submerged in it, but I'm just not certain about seafood. What's been your experience?
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:49 am

if i haven't gotten to it whithin a week or so, i've put it in the freezer.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:20 am

I made the Conserved Tuna. It is the BEST! But, it is too damned expensive. Yellow Fin is $19/lb and Albacore is not much less at $14/lb. But, I bit the bullet and made the recipe then used it to make Salade Nicoise. Here's the proof. Well worth the time and the expense. I'd highly recommend the experience if you haven't tried it.
Conserved Tuna 001.jpg

Conserved Tuna 003.jpg

Conserved Tuna 005.jpg

Conserved Tuna 010.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.